carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-22-2019, 08:58 PM   #41
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
After reading a couple of articles on this new version of the Ecoboost Mustang, I might need to change my opinion and suggest it for you for another year or two instead of a V8 just yet... it seems like it could be really formidable depending on its autocross class.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #42
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
$18,215 now.
Still $18,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
After reading a couple of articles on this new version of the Ecoboost Mustang, I might need to change my opinion and suggest it for you for another year or two instead of a V8 just yet... it seems like it could be really formidable depending on its autocross class.
I've given it a lot more thought the past few days and as of today (may change in the near future), I don't think classing will impact my decision. It will probably come down to how pricing compares to the 1SS 1LE.

DS and FS are so close in performance today that I don't think it will matter which class the car goes in...and, on paper, the car looks really strong against its competitors in both classes. Although, there's still some question about whether a properly equipped Mustang could knock off the E90 M3. No one's tried after Ford may have fixed what was broken.

I'm probably 90% on the 1SS 1LE train, but paying attention to the HPP EB Mustang as an alternative if the pricing works. If the pricing is a wash, it may come down to whether I want something all new or to scratch that V8 itch. if the Mustang is more expensive, it's Camaro all the way.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:42 AM   #43
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Still $18,215
$17,504 now.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 09-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #44
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
$17,504 now.
Why are you torturing yourself checking everyday or even weekly, it’s like checking your portfolio on a regular basis.

You need to remove that link from your computer.

Ok that was my therapy lesson of the day please PayPal me $50
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:16 PM   #45
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Why are you torturing yourself checking everyday or even weekly, it’s like checking your portfolio on a regular basis.

You need to remove that link from your computer.

Ok that was my therapy lesson of the day please PayPal me $50
If you were going to cash out your portfolio on Friday morning, would you take a look Thursday night? Wednesday afternoon? Take a quick look Tuesday at lunch?

It's not quite the same thing.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-28-2019, 07:04 AM   #46
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
It looks like the new EcoBoost Mustang got a favorable classing in the recent update?
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:44 AM   #47
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
It looks like the new EcoBoost Mustang got a favorable classing in the recent update?
DS, yes. My car thinking in on hold for a bit right now and the plan all along has been to do something in Februaryish anyway, so... to be continued

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 11-18-2019, 10:14 AM   #48
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
$17,504 now.
$!6,162.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 12-13-2019, 09:27 AM   #49
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
New Carvana offer today is $18,252.

As of right now, an SS 1LE is the strong favorite, but I really don't know if that's what I'm going to move into.

Whatever I buy, I'm leaning towards holding off on doing anything until late January or February. I still like the car and don't feel like I need to get out of it quickly. My expectation is that it won't depreciate too much over the next five months, but whatever it does will be roughly offset by corresponding depreciation of whatever I buy* to replace it.

The other thing I'm thinking of is working from the original plan for replacing my wife's Outback by selling the Camaro now, replacing with a beater for the short term that my daughter can also drive and will become her car when I buy the [1LE or TBD]. This would guarantee I cash in before Carvana comes to their senses and allow me to strike when the right car appears. The problem
Quote:
$!6,162.
$16,544 today.

In retrospect, I would have been better off selling the car to Carvana in September, buying a $4k beater, putting the rest into Tesla stock, selling that today and be way ahead.

Oh well. But that would have been dumb to try.

Pretty settled into plan of a 1SS 1LE. Decided I don't want the HPEB Mustang. Don't want to go electric without a last hurrah with a V8. Etc.

Still expecting late January/early February. Not sure if it will be a 2019 or 2020. I was wrong about the fancy rear view mirror...it's not available on 1LE cars.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 12-13-2019, 10:14 AM   #50
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Pretty settled into plan of a 1SS 1LE.
last hurrah with a V8.
That's awesome. You've wanted that for quite some time. Would be a shame to deny it. :thumbsup:
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote