carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #11
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
I used the encoder on this page https://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php And it comes up with different price data than on the car link I posted above. Big difference. I'd rather be better educated before making the hour + drive to check out this car in person.

I guess I'll give them my contact data and ask for the window sticker info.

Thanks for your input!
VIN decoders don't tell you anything about options on Chevys. It tells you the car is a 2LT 4 banger and they had starting MSRPs of $30500.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #12
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
It has 36,000 miles on it and Carvana's latest offer is $18,017.
New Carvana offer today is $18,252.

Don't remember if I've posted this, but I've been putting my car into Carvana pretty regularly for the past year and they've been in the $18-$21k range the entire time...basically trending slowly downward that seems most closely correlated with mileage. In early August when it had 28k miles, they offered $19.2. If I use 28k miles for a Carvana quote today, the offer is $19.3.

As of right now, an SS 1LE is the strong favorite, but I really don't know if that's what I'm going to move into.

Whatever I buy, I'm leaning towards holding off on doing anything until late January or February. I still like the car and don't feel like I need to get out of it quickly. My expectation is that it won't depreciate too much over the next five months, but whatever it does will be roughly offset by corresponding depreciation of whatever I buy* to replace it.

The other thing I'm thinking of is working from the original plan for replacing my wife's Outback by selling the Camaro now, replacing with a beater for the short term that my daughter can also drive and will become her car when I buy the [1LE or TBD]. This would guarantee I cash in before Carvana comes to their senses and allow me to strike when the right car appears. The problem is finding the right beater in the meantime. The $4000 and below pickings are...interesting.

* Note:

My preference would be to spend as little money as possible on a 1LE which most likely means used. But. Ugh. I learned some more about the ABS calibration thing. I'd probably be okay with a 2017 or 2018 car, but 2019 would be best. 2019 also comes with the funky camera enhanced rear view mirror. But, the 2019 front ends are UGGGGGLLLLLYYY. But (again with "but"), that $30k target for new probably gets more and more likely in January/February. If I bought a 19 (new or used), I'd be a little concerned that it will not hold its value as well as a 17, 18, or 20 because it's so fucking ugly.

I'd probably be looking at used versions of all the other cars I listed except the EcoBoost Mustang. I don't know if the EB Performance Pack cars have been showing up to dealers yet and/or what real world pricing is looking like. The car also hasn't been classed yet and I kinda want to see what happens there before I make a final decision on what I'm going to buy.

If I was looking at a 3 Performance, the configuration would be a 3 Performance with no other options available/desirable (deliberately excluding paint, interior color and autopilot), correct?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #13
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
New Carvana offer today is $18,252.

Don't remember if I've posted this, but I've been putting my car into Carvana pretty regularly for the past year and they've been in the $18-$21k range the entire time...basically trending slowly downward that seems most closely correlated with mileage. In early August when it had 28k miles, they offered $19.2. If I use 28k miles for a Carvana quote today, the offer is $19.3.

As of right now, an SS 1LE is the strong favorite, but I really don't know if that's what I'm going to move into.

Whatever I buy, I'm leaning towards holding off on doing anything until late January or February. I still like the car and don't feel like I need to get out of it quickly. My expectation is that it won't depreciate too much over the next five months, but whatever it does will be roughly offset by corresponding depreciation of whatever I buy* to replace it.

The other thing I'm thinking of is working from the original plan for replacing my wife's Outback by selling the Camaro now, replacing with a beater for the short term that my daughter can also drive and will become her car when I buy the [1LE or TBD]. This would guarantee I cash in before Carvana comes to their senses and allow me to strike when the right car appears. The problem is finding the right beater in the meantime. The $4000 and below pickings are...interesting.

* Note:

My preference would be to spend as little money as possible on a 1LE which most likely means used. But. Ugh. I learned some more about the ABS calibration thing. I'd probably be okay with a 2017 or 2018 car, but 2019 would be best. 2019 also comes with the funky camera enhanced rear view mirror. But, the 2019 front ends are UGGGGGLLLLLYYY. But (again with "but"), that $30k target for new probably gets more and more likely in January/February. If I bought a 19 (new or used), I'd be a little concerned that it will not hold its value as well as a 17, 18, or 20 because it's so fucking ugly.

I'd probably be looking at used versions of all the other cars I listed except the EcoBoost Mustang. I don't know if the EB Performance Pack cars have been showing up to dealers yet and/or what real world pricing is looking like. The car also hasn't been classed yet and I kinda want to see what happens there before I make a final decision on what I'm going to buy.

If I was looking at a 3 Performance, the configuration would be a 3 Performance with no other options available/desirable (deliberately excluding paint, interior color and autopilot), correct?
I really shouldn't have clicked on through to see what Model 3 Performance cars are going for these days.

Jesus, 55,950 is a fucking steal for that car. Like...that's insanely well priced. A similar M4 is 74,900.

Goddamn.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:02 PM   #14
dan
redefined

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1278750

wow, rare color here
Old 09-18-2019, 04:52 PM   #15
Alan
Carmudgeon

The thing that amazes me is you could get $18k when you paid $19k ... though I was pretty amazed you only paid $19k for such a beautiful new car. I would think it was at a minimum a $30k plus car not that I know anything about
camaro’s but I always thought they were much more money then you originally paid.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:05 PM   #16
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
The thing that amazes me is you could get $18k when you paid $19k ... though I was pretty amazed you only paid $19k for such a beautiful new car. I would think it was at a minimum a $30k plus car not that I know anything about
camaro’s but I always thought they were much more money then you originally paid.
+1. That's probably one of the best new car deals i've ever heard of.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:21 PM   #17
JST

Well, it was missing half the bangers.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:00 PM   #18
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I really shouldn't have clicked on through to see what Model 3 Performance cars are going for these days.

Jesus, 55,950 is a fucking steal for that car. Like...that's insanely well priced. A similar M4 is 74,900.

Goddamn.
Yeah that is really well priced.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #19
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Best car I've ever had. (period)
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #20
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Chevy really moved quickly to fix the front end design from 2019 to 2020! Maybe you could do the 2019 and wrap/paint the mustache to improve its looks for the difference in price?

I think you need a Krypton Green 1LE V8, if they still make that color.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote