carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-28-2019, 11:08 AM   #41
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
When winter hits it isn't the best time for EVs either. My range drops like 30%. And the battery is used while it sits because it doesn't let the battery freeze.

Being able to pre-warm the car (and seats) from your phone is nice though.
I've covered this before based on my experience with the eGolf. Mind you, the vastly superior range of Teslas mitigate (though doesn't entirely remove) a lot of the negatives, but doesn't fix the inefficiency.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:12 AM   #42
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Right? Nothing can put you in the moment quite like a convertible. That’s what makes them so addictive, despite the fact that they are imperfect all-around vehicles.
I had a 200-mile round trip drive to CT for work and figured I'd drive the Miata to be economical. It's on drives like that that I miss my old 987S, and makes me want to upgrade the Miata to a Boxster.

OT: Funny that I miss my 987S from a decade ago more than I miss the 997TT. In many respects, the M3 is just a better 997TT, which is why I do not miss it.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #43
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I've covered this before based on my experience with the eGolf. Mind you, the vastly superior range of Teslas mitigate (though doesn't entirely remove) a lot of the negatives, but doesn't fix the inefficiency.
The tech is really a better fit for down where I live. It gets cold here, but almost never much below freezing.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 03:45 PM   #44
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I had a 200-mile round trip drive to CT for work and figured I'd drive the Miata to be economical.
A 200 mile trip in a Miata ... is this some type of self punishment thing
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:12 PM   #45
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
A 200 mile trip in a Miata ... is this some type of self punishment thing
I was secretly thinking that, too!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:33 PM   #46
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I honestly don’t understand why you shit on Tesla so much for this. Of any company anywhere in the world, they’re the ones that have done by far the most to make electric travel accessible to people that don’t have their own charging solution at home.

There are lots of people for whom even Teslas won’t be convenient. Point taken. There are also lots of people who think Teslas won’t be convenient, but who are wrong. I’m not interested in trying to convince the first group to buy a Tesla, only the second.
Quote:
And you keep interjecting this topic into a thread about the comparative performance of two vehicle because.....?
JST's original statement was a blanket one indicating the 3 is more practical and easier to live with. I don't question the application to JST. I don't question it to you. Or to ZBB. Or (probably?) everyone on this board, including me.

But, I also don't think the blanket statement is valid. With the qualifier I suggested, I think it would be.

Beyond that, I think the lack of a standard and universal high speed charging solution as simple as filling a gas tank holds back our universal ability to move on en masse from ICE. The transition is going to be hard enough. The longer we draw it out, the worse off we all are.

You all are free to read in whatever you want to my posts about Tesla and Musk. I'll keep making them where they're appropriate just as the Teslapologists will keep making excuses in response. Deal?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:29 PM   #47
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
You all are free to read in whatever you want to my posts about Tesla and Musk. I'll keep making them where they're appropriate just as the Teslapologists will keep making excuses in response. Deal?
It's cool, you're helping us all remember to be grateful of how fortunate we are.

As long as you're cool with me posting the following every time you reference your Camaro (or TV, or computer, or camera lense), and then if you reply I call you a Camaropologist, then we're cool.

Quote:
I know you dig Camaros and that's cool. Camaros works for you because you have all the pieces to make Camaros work for you. Most people on this board do. We are not like most people in the US that want or need cars. And certainly not like most people around the world.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:30 AM   #48
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I was secretly thinking that, too!
Hey I drove to Maryland and back on consecutive days in the Miata last year. That was rough.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:18 AM   #49
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Clyde - to give you a more serious reply...

In a thread where JST took the time to do a really nice writeup comparing two great (and absurdly expensive) cars, you had nothing to add but to nitpick one line with an obvious disclaimer (Yeah, um, an electric car is kind of a pain in the ass if you have nowhere to charge it. Breaking news.) and rathole the discussion into the same stale point we've debated multiple times already with no resolution. And then insult and condescend to people after they tried to give you a serious reply. Honestly, it's tiring, and isn't something JST deserves in a thread where he took the time to write up his thoughts on two really awesome cars.

In terms of your followup statements about people around the world. This is a thread about an $85K+ BMW M3 and a $70K Tesla Model 3, and your concern about world-wide accessibility is the charger? Either of these cars are attainable by only a tiny fraction of people on the planet. And of that fraction, how many can afford the $85K car yet can't figure out how to charge a Tesla? I'm sure it's non-zero, but to be worth ratholling this thread over? It's feels like intentional trolling at this point.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:11 AM   #50
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Honestly, it's tiring

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote