carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-28-2019, 10:20 PM   #41
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Yep. But my point was that comparing a $70k (new) Z51 C8 to a $91k (new) base 911 that basically doesn't exist is kind of silly. Realistically, unless you really really want to order a base, stripper 911, the car you're going to find at a dealer will have $10k in options on it.
I think it depends on a) whether the dealer has been burned before and b) how desperate the salesman / sales manager is to make a deal before some deadline.

Some dealers would (this is E46-era) go to bat for customers to get full Individual cars, even if they were something clown-car-like, such as Barney purple paint, orange (BMW: Arizona Sun) wood trim and lime-green seats with the full leather interior. Be glad you've never seen that in person.

I actually found my dealer's parts department to be more willing to push* to get Individual parts than the sales department, so that's how I Individual-ized my wagon.

* As an example, when the passenger seat lumbar switch was on permanent backorder, they VOR'd** it to get it to me in 3 days. I wonder what the parts picker in Germany thought about that.

** VOR: Vehicle Off Road - a BMW code meaning that this part is essential to normal vehicle operation. It triggers an inventory search of all dealers in the same country and if that comes up empty, goes to Germany***. Some things are flat out Unobtainium, like my Birch Anthracite trim. I had a guy in Germany try to buy a whole replacement set against a VIN that had that option, but the parts people went "Ja, but please give us a copy of the police report stating your trim was stolen first." So I had to find 13 or so VINs with that trim and have him order a single piece against a different VIN at each dealer. Fortunately it looked good enough when it was done that it was worth the effort. I also needed the Euro/Individual-only handbrake handle that has half leather and half clips for the Individual wood, but my dealer's parts department was able to get that for me.

*** I once started a massive snipe hunt for the special "BMW fuzzy tape" that BMW uses for their wiring harnesses. This involved personal emails back and forth with the guy in charge of publishing the ETK, someone high-up in parts management, and eventually someone high-up in vehicle assembly who went and got me a roll out of some assembly storeroom and sent it to me at no charge.

**** Yes, I'm imitating that Roundel columnist (Mark Buhler, maybe?) that tries to get at least 8 footnotes into every month's column.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:57 AM   #42
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Kennedy View Post
*** I once started a massive snipe hunt for the special "BMW fuzzy tape" that BMW uses for their wiring harnesses.
No need to go to the dealer for that. Electronics supply houses sell it. Or, these days, you can just get it from Amazon.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:42 AM   #43
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Yep. But my point was that comparing a $70k (new) Z51 C8 to a $91k (new) base 911 that basically doesn't exist is kind of silly. Realistically, unless you really really want to order a base, stripper 911, the car you're going to find at a dealer will have $10k in options on it.
The other part is stripper and Z51-only C8s will be sitting on dealer lots waiting to be sold at $10k+ discounts from MSRP within 16 months of customers taking delivery of the first ones. Discounts will only get larger from there. I don't think that happens with Porsches (but, now that I think about it, I realize I have absolutely no idea).

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:00 AM   #44
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
The other part is stripper and Z51-only C8s will be sitting on dealer lots waiting to be sold at $10k+ discounts from MSRP within 16 months of customers taking delivery of the first ones. Discounts will only get larger from there. I don't think that happens with Porsches (but, now that I think about it, I realize I have absolutely no idea).
I think the C8 might have a longer tail than that, if only because it will likely draw more "foreign" exotic intenders than the typical Corvette revamp, and it will presumably also spur a larger percentage of existing owners to refresh their ownership.

But, yeah, at the end of the day this is a domestic, non-limited production car that will eventually be discounted.

Porsches can have surprisingly large discounts, though it's less common now than it was during the recession, when you could routinely find year-old cars on the lot that hadn't been sold.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:07 AM   #45
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
No need to go to the dealer for that. Electronics supply houses sell it. Or, these days, you can just get it from Amazon.
The Tesa tape that we all use is not actually the same. It's close enough, but not identical.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #46
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I think the C8 might have a longer tail than that, if only because it will likely draw more "foreign" exotic intenders than the typical Corvette revamp, and it will presumably also spur a larger percentage of existing owners to refresh their ownership.

But, yeah, at the end of the day this is a domestic, non-limited production car that will eventually be discounted.
New Corvette gens have sometimes had pent up demand propping up first and second year production numbers, but those usually came with way-too-long previous gen production runs.

The thing here is that no matter how good the car is, it still has a limited market and GM build as many cars as GM builds.

Quote:
Porsches can have surprisingly large discounts, though it's less common now than it was during the recession, when you could routinely find year-old cars on the lot that hadn't been sold.
Well, it's not like the auto industry isn't screaming from the rafters about what's coming in a "move along, move along, nothing to see here, folks," kind of way...

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote