carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-09-2018, 11:17 AM   #231
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:19 PM   #232
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Pulled the trigger on a 2018 Toyota 4x4 SR5 Premium last weekend for my wife. Silver was not her first choice but she like it when she saw it. It was the only color I could find in Socal that matched her configuration. It has black interior.

I am pretty happy that she decided on it. Seems like a good other vehicle to go along with the turbo. New but very utilitarian so kids(and I) can beat it up without getting upset. Already trying to make plans to use if for desert camping and baja. Figure it is a very long term car so will probably keep it as third car if she wants something different in a few years.

Had 1 mile when we got it. Never seen a car so low, I would assume they put a few miles on it at the factory?
25k miles and not a single issue. Enjoy using it off-road

Old 06-28-2019, 01:15 PM   #233
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
I wasn't sure which VW thread to leave this in...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1560543481551.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	12413  
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #234
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I wasn't sure which VW thread to leave this in...
LOL. Seems right.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 02:10 PM   #235
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

hey you trying to curse my new VW should of left it in JST thread

my only issue with my new GTI is the big design flaw in if you have the driver window down without any other windows it makes a horrible wind buffeting noise.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:42 PM   #236
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:

my only issue with my new GTI is the big design flaw in if you have the driver window down without any other windows it makes a horrible wind buffeting noise.
This is not a VW / GTI feature. My GMC pickup is bad at this too. I can't remember which car, but I owned something about 15 years ago that I swore could knock you unconscious if you opened one window at 70 MPH
Old 06-28-2019, 03:01 PM   #237
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
This is not a VW / GTI feature. My GMC pickup is bad at this too. I can't remember which car, but I owned something about 15 years ago that I swore could knock you unconscious if you opened one window at 70 MPH
first car I have owned with this issue. Annoying since i like to drive around with it down to enjoy the socal weather. I do not normally run AC
Old 06-28-2019, 03:08 PM   #238
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
hey you trying to curse my new VW should of left it in JST thread

Quote:
This is a nearly universal "all new cars" thing. It's a combination of how aerodynamically efficient, how well sealed, how tightly toleranced, and how well built they all are now even compared to 15 years ago. And also the shape and placement of your side mirrors.

Even with both windows down, there is significant buffeting in the Camaro at 50mph +...unless driver or passenger have an arm on the windowsill which breaks up the airflow enough to disrupt the standing wave of air.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:37 PM   #239
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
We have it as well; need to crack 2 or even 3 windows to make it go away. One of the most buffeting cars ever, the mk7. Sunroof tilt even requires 2-3 windows cracked.

Quote:
This is not a VW / GTI feature.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
This is a nearly universal "all new cars" thing. It's a combination of how aerodynamically efficient, how well sealed, how tightly toleranced, and how well built they all are now even compared to 15 years ago. And also the shape and placement of your side mirrors.

Even with both windows down, there is significant buffeting in the Camaro at 50mph +...unless driver or passenger have an arm on the windowsill which breaks up the airflow enough to disrupt the standing wave of air.

Having ping-ponged back between vw/audis and bmw/porsche (as well as drives/rentals in other cars) over the last two decades, I don't completely agree. It hit different carmakers at different times and VW/Audi have been the worst overall in this (perhaps they seal better? or better aero when shut?).

I was astounded with my 2000 a4, my first nice car. I hadn't heard of buffeting until then. It was so bad, it was described in the owner's manual with mitigation strategies. Worst speed was 35-40mph in that car. I was pleasantly surprised in 2004 when I switched to an e46 bmw and to a much larger degree could leave windows open at higher speeds. This continued with the 987 cayman. Back to buffeting with the b6 s4, not as bad as the b5, but very strong. The b8 a4 & s4 were a bit better. The mk7 gti is nearly as bad as the b5 a4.

In the meantime bmw started emulating VAG, I think the e90 has it worse than the e46 and the f30 is even worse.

Still, no comparison. BMW & Porsche buffet much less than VW/Audi over several models. Their wipers also work better than VAG.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #240
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
We have it as well; need to crack 2 or even 3 windows to make it go away. One of the most buffeting cars ever, the mk7. Sunroof tilt even requires 2-3 windows cracked.

yeah I know cracking additional windows get rid it. I park outside so forget to uncrack the other window, yeah first world problems. I will shut up At least no sunroof to worry about that.

As for new cars I guess my other new car is a 20 year old design brick, aka 4runner, so no aero for that.