carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #11
dan
redefined

Neither of my kids (12 and 13 now) have ever complained about back seat space in the 135.

Although I'm short and the passenger seat is usually empty
Old 04-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #12
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The problem is that the ATS-V has a really, really tiny back seat. Maybe it's OK for FC's kids now? But I'm not sure it is that much more usable than a 2 door M2.

FC, do either of your kids ride in the front seat yet?
He said it's 4 miles to school. How much room do they need? EDIT: 4 miles ROUND TRIP. Imagine, the poor kids might have to bend down to get in the car.

I've questioned plenty of times the perceived necessity of a sedan. I make do just fine with the e46m3 and daily kid duty. So yeah, if I were him, I'd do an m2 CP and call it a day.

*Actually, if I were him, I would've kept the 911 and avoided this new conundrum completely.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #13
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The problem is that the ATS-V has a really, really tiny back seat. Maybe it's OK for FC's kids now? But I'm not sure it is that much more usable than a 2 door M2.

FC, do either of your kids ride in the front seat yet?
Yes, a used CTS-V is also in consideration. I really hated the interior, though.

The oldest is 10.5, the little one getting close to 9. Technically they cannot go in the front seat. The Miata has a loophole in that it has no back seat. So I've driven them both (individually, of course!) on the passenger seat with the airbag hard-disabled with a key, and the seat all the way back.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #14
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
My son, who is a very tall 12 yr old, rides in the back of the 1er just fine. I agree with Bren, kids *can* fit in the back of a coupe for a few miles. I'd check out an M2. I'd also look at the S7 to see if it is any good (I know nothing about it), just another option.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #15
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
He said it's 4 miles to school. How much room do they need? EDIT: 4 miles ROUND TRIP. Imagine, the poor kids might have to bend down to get in the car.

I've questioned plenty of times the perceived necessity of a sedan. I make do just fine with the e46m3 and daily kid duty. So yeah, if I were him, I'd do an m2 CP and call it a day.

*Actually, if I were him, I would've kept the 911 and avoided this new conundrum completely.
^Don't think for a second I am not starting to regret that - a little. But it was still the right call at the time.

I'll just add that while the Miata/Boxster/whatever has few restrictions, whatever "sedan" or equivalent I get has to have full approval by Mrs. FC. And for reference, she hated being in the Turbo. She felt it was too uncomfortable/low/loud/etc. So there is that. That sedan has to be a family car. It can have a sporty edge, but has to be useful and ergonomic. For example, it has to be tolerable on a drive to Canada if needed.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:47 AM   #16
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
has to have full approval by Mrs. FC.
Considering that you already have one "reasonable" vehicle option in the driveway, I don't understand this at all. So, good luck with that.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:03 PM   #17
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Considering that you already have one "reasonable" vehicle option in the driveway, I don't understand this at all. So, good luck with that.
Considering I get to have a "whatever you want" car, I don't think her requirement that the 2 cars be able to carry the family of 4 comfortably is unreasonable.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #18
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Considering I get to have a "whatever you want" car, I don't think her requirement that the 2 cars be able to carry the family of 4 comfortably is unreasonable.
That's why you're married to her and not me.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #19
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
That's why you're married and not me.
Fixed.

PS: right now I'm all about pickup trucks, which I don't think will be of much use in this thread.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #20
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
PS: right now I'm all about pickup trucks, which I don't think will be of much use in this thread.
Actually, a Ram 1500 would be very comfortable for a road trip, and more than capable of handling Canada. Also handy for many around the house types of jobs that I'm sure his wife demands of him.