carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-07-2004, 03:32 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
DROVE a Mazdaspeed MX-5 and a new Outback

The Mazda and Subaru dealers were right next to each other on my way back from buying DOT3 brake fluid to do my brother's Altima. I was ina hurry so I had no time to ask for a test drive.

Anyway, the Outback's interior (LL Bean) is AMAZING. Excellent fit and finish. The steering wheel was nice and small. I could do without the wood, but whatever. Weird to see a wagon with frameless doors. A lot more room in the back seat vs my 330i when the front seat was adjusted to me. Cargo area is not huge but easily bigger than the C-class, 325iT, and A4 avants. The Outback looks and feels as expensive as the Germans too.

The Mazdaspeed Miata was great. The dealership had 6 outside. Three red, three silver/gray. The interior was great. Nice and snug, it fit like a glove. Good quality materials and finish. The car looks good too. I could see myself in one. I think if I can't swing a used C6 or Elise the Mazdaspeed could an option. Of curse, I need to drive all three. :roll:
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 05:27 PM   #2
FC
Solving problems

Well, I drove them both today.

MIATA:

The miata felt really strange. Never had driven a convertible before. I liked the interior, the snugness, and the handling. From what little I could test, it felt like it handled as well as my 330i but with a lot less body roll, surely a result of the much lower weight. The ride was probably a hair more harsh than the 330i too. The shifter was short but very notchy, but the clutch was great. The gas though, was hyper-sensitive and it took most of the test drive to get used to it. It was a fast little car, but my 330i is clearly faster and even more evident at rpms under 4K. There was almost no lag to speak of... very impressive. But here is where my being spoiled ruined the car for me. The 4-cyl engine was not smooth at all (to us). And there was a constant raspiness/buzzing to it .

In all, it is a great, fun, "cheap" car. If I were single, and I had a beat up AWD wagon for my daily driver/winter car, then the miata would be an awesome low-budget dedicated fun car. But given that I have my 330i, there is no reason of me to ever consider the miata. I drove away in my car and loved the silky-mooth torque and power. I rather drive my 330i with all the windows down and the moonroof open. BUT, it was cool to not have a top at all.

'05 Outback 3.0 LL Bean

Simply said, this is by far the BEST family car for the money anyone in a snowy climate could want unless you need more room or you plan on driving it really hard. As a "car for the wife" it is absolutely perfect. The engine was insanely smooth with tons of power. Doing 80mph in the highway the car had plenty of power to keep accelerating. It had a nice, comfortable ride while handling surprisingly well. All this with pretty meaty tires and 8.4" of clearance. The automatic was great and the manumatic was decent. The interior, as mentioend before, is impecable and build quiality was impressive. Rock solid construction. The wood trim will have to go though.

I'm glad it is not my car, but it will be the perfect family car for us. It's a done deal, we're getting it. It's just a matter of when.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:41 PM   #3
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr129
I'm glad it is not my car, but it will be the perfect family car for us. It's a done deal, we're getting it. It's just a matter of when.
Nice reviews.

But did you think about the fact that you could give the 330i to your fiance, and you could by a small sporty car like a miata or used S2K? Just filling your brain with bad ideas to get the gears turning....

It's funny that we're in a pretty similar situation, because we need another car soon too. I'm thinking of going the route I suggested and getting a dumb, impractical car for me, rather than an expensive, new wagon for her. Later when/if we have kids, it won't be realistic to have an S2K, so it's either now or never (or when we're 60 )
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 05:44 PM   #4
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
Later when/if we have kids, it won't be realistic to have an S2K, so it's either now or never
Old 08-08-2004, 05:57 PM   #5
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoboy
Are you saying you're my son? I did go to this wild party in Texas quite a long while back.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 06:04 PM   #6
dan
redefined

just wondering why an S2000 is unrealistic if you have kids
Old 08-08-2004, 06:15 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr129
Nice reviews.

But did you think about the fact that you could give the 330i to your fiance, and you could by a small sporty car like a miata or used S2K? Just filling your brain with bad ideas to get the gears turning....

It's funny that we're in a pretty similar situation, because we need another car soon too. I'm thinking of going the route I suggested and getting a dumb, impractical car for me, rather than an expensive, new wagon for her. Later when/if we have kids, it won't be realistic to have an S2K, so it's either now or never (or when we're 60 )
Once we get the Outback, we will be all set. Anything else, like a sports car is a luxury that will wait until we are in solid financial footing. The Miata (and I ralize now, most other roadsters) wont be able to fill my need for a really sporty 3rd car unless they can handily outperform my 330i. That is why again it looks like it will take a 400hp C6 or a kart-like Elise to "do it" for me as a 3rd car. In all likelyhood it will be a used C6.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:21 PM   #8
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoboy
just wondering why an S2000 is unrealistic if you have kids
It's unrealistic if you need to transport them (note plural) in that car. otherwise, it's just a mental block. Through experience, though, people can be taught that it is just a mental block.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 06:27 PM   #9
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde

It's unrealistic if you need to transport them (note plural) in that car. otherwise, it's just a mental block. Through experience, though, people can be taught that it is just a mental block.
you finally got it through mrs. clyde's thick skull, huh?
Old 08-08-2004, 06:42 PM   #10
clyde
Chief title editor

Something like that.

I have NEVER had both girls in the back of the RX-8 and the child seat hasn't even been in the RX-8 for two months or so.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote