carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #31
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I don't mean CPO--I thought the turbos had their own extended warranty as the result of some sort of SIB at some point. But I don't really recall...
i think you're right, and i did see that in the paperwork today.

but i bet (with my luck) that i'll be long past that cutoff and then they'll die slowly.

the optimist in me wants to believe that people can go above 100,000 miles in the cars reliably. the pessimist in me just prepares for the worst.

lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #32
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
i think you're right, and i did see that in the paperwork today.

but i bet (with my luck) that i'll be long past that cutoff and then they'll die slowly.

the optimist in me wants to believe that people can go above 100,000 miles in the cars reliably. the pessimist in me just prepares for the worst.
I guess just the wastegates:

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showth...ghlight=535xit
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #33
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
do you know what still seems crazy to me?

people, like DINAN, tune these motors for more boost and "increased water pump impeller speed".

because that seems like such a good idea on these powertrains.

(sorry, i know, we're getting off track here)

btw: holy prepper, batman! putting snows on the lead sled.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #34
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Thanks for the heads up re: Turbo Warranty JST.

MODEL
E60, E61 (MY 2008, 2009, 2010): 535i including xDrive
E71 (MY 2008, 2009, 2010): X6 xDrive35i
E82, E88 (MY 2008, 2009, 2010): 135i
E89 (MY 2009, 2010): E89 – Z4 sDrive35i
E90, E92, E93 (MY 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010): 335i including xDrive

INFORMATION

All issues relating to the last-minute appeal have been resolved and the new effective date of the settlement is July 11, 2012. The court-approved settlement provides the following relief to the Settlement Class Members’ vehicles listed above.

SITUATION

BMW NA has agreed to extend, to a total of 8 years or 82,000 miles, whichever comes first, the emissions warranties covering the Settlement Class Members’ vehicles for any failure of a turbocharger caused by a defect in a turbocharger wastegate. The terms of the original New Vehicle/SAV Limited Warranty and applicable emissions warranty still apply. BMW NA will not provide warranty coverage to any Settlement Class Member’s vehicle containing modifications or alterations to the turbocharger or its wastegates (software, hardware or otherwise), or evidencing other conditions not normally covered under the original New Vehicle/SAV Limited Warranty or applicable emissions warranty.

Modifications excluded from warranty coverage include any aftermarket parts that affect the turbocharger system, or if there are other conditions that would normally exclude it from warranty coverage.

WARRANTY INFORMATION

The emissions warranty for the turbocharger wastegates has been extended to 8 years or 82,000 miles, whichever one occurs first, for a failure of a turbocharger caused by a defect in a turbocharger wastegate that does not otherwise fall within exclusion to coverage under the warranty. Any applicable TeileClearing or Diagcode requirements still apply.

The turbocharger wastegates’ 8 year/82,000 miles warranty supersedes any applicable coverage provided under the BMW Certified Pre-Owned program or any BMW Group Vehicle Service Contract in effect. This component’s warranty extension applies to the above-listed models only. It is applicable to eligible vehicles which are registered and operated in all 50 states. The existing warranty coverage for all other parts has not changed.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/08/16/n5...stegates-only/
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #35
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Cliff notes: I have a new car plan for 6 yrs for now and M3s are not part of it.

Biggins post about e90 m3 depreciation in the f80 M3 thread got me thinking, but instead of further derailing that thread, I figured I'd wax un-poetically here. I used to lust after each new M3, both in convertible and sedan form. When the e93 came out with the hard top, I lost all interest in the m3 convertibles, and after living with my current fleet of cars for 6mos, the m3 sedans are loosing interest as well. Now the F80 is here, and while I think it looks great, it is huge at a time where my need for a big car is rapidly diminishing. This is the first time I don't really see myself owning another M3.

I'm really happy with our 3 cars right now. The 135 is the perfect blend of fun, size and "nice-carness" to be a daily driver with top down options. Two kids fit in the back without complaining, the trunk holds two overnight bags and the creature comforts work excellently. It has significantly reduced my desire for wanting what I don't have. Even if the M2 convertible is well executed, or we determine a 2 seater would fit our lifestyle acceptably, I'm not looking for the time to swap for something new, like I have with every other car I owned except the m5 (that became a mileage, resale value, potential cost of upkeep and kid license casualty). Really happy with it.

The E61 is amazing at eating miles on long trips. It has proven big enough for the 5 of us to go places comfortably, and makes the 275mile drive to the lake a 4 hour no stop affair. We added a warranty on that will take us to 125k miles, so that buys us some piece of mind for a few more years. We are putting a TON of miles on it (we're up over 73k, I think we bought it with 58k). I'm getting a set of Conti DW mounted on it today, which I expect will further improve the quiet highway cruising capabilities. I'm hopeful we can keep it for another 4 years or so until the girls are well into college. I expect if the rest of the plan works out, this car will be replaced in 4 yrs or so with the new little tesla (hopefully in 4wd guise). If we decide we don't like the idea of electric, or Tesla shits the bed, we'll probably opt for a 328 wagon.

The little e46 is a pile of fun and a great 3rd beater/kid car. It has been serving its purpose great, been pretty reliable, solid in the snow (especially with Hakkas on it) and kid safe. it is getting a little beaten up, more by my wife than by the 16yr old, but no one minds. It should last them well into college, at which point we'll *sell* it to one of them. I think the replacement here will be a 4 door Jeep Wrangler with a soft top option and a hitch. This would replace the e61 family hauling duties, the winter car for me and give us the added flexibility of hauling the boat around. It would also give us a 2nd, very different kind of fun car to pair with the 135i.

Seems like a good idea for now with lots of time to adjust it as times change.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 04-17-2015, 09:56 AM   #36
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I had to check the user name on that post.

Have you spent much time in Wranglers? I'm not so sure that's going to work out as a family car replacement coming from a 5 series. Unless, by "family hauling" you mean moving stuff more than people. Although, then I'd be careful with assumptions about how much stuff you can really fit in a Wrangler.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #37
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
There was a really nice 4 series Lux line with an automatic in the showroom the other day - I was interested.

Hmmmm - less driver "involvement" is starting to seem interesting to me
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #38
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I had to check the user name on that post.

Have you spent much time in Wranglers? I'm not so sure that's going to work out as a family car replacement coming from a 5 series. Unless, by "family hauling" you mean moving stuff more than people. Although, then I'd be careful with assumptions about how much stuff you can really fit in a Wrangler.
Oh I know... but I don't have FC-itis. This is the first time in a long time I'm not actively perservating on a new car purchase. It was all triggered by my realization I don't have any interest in m3 for the first time since I was 16.

As for the Jeep, by the time that purchase comes up, my family will have gone from 3 kids living at home to 1 with 2 in college. It will be a utility vehicle/catch all. The Tesla and 135 would serve the majority of people transport duties. The jeep would be my winter car, a 2nd convertible in the summertime so my wife and I don't fight over the 1, a car for the kids to use and a hauling vehicle (with the back seat removed) or trailering large but not too heavy items and the boat to/from the lake as necessary and the car that would fit 5 people when needed. Seems logical, right.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Old 04-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #39
lemming
Western Anomaly

Great feedback on the cars. I love to read about it. The E61 is a great hauler. I don't know about reliability but like you say, for long trips it's fantastic.

I lost all interest in the M3 as a new car a long time ago. I couldn't figure out if I liked the E46 and then the E90 was here. That car got too big and thirsty and then the turbo car showed up.

They're all great cars. But they are now so far removed from visceral road feel it's discouraging.

I don't think the Tesla or Wrangler are too crazy either. Things are easier with less people needed. And I'd never buy a car just for the 5 days out of the year when I need 7 seats or hauling.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:54 PM   #40
lemming
Western Anomaly

btw, if you feel vibration in the steering wheel of the E61 --it's likely the thrust arm bushing?

it's not in the 3 series cars, but is on the E60/61 and X3s, etc.

having that replaced has made the freight train vibration free.