carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

View Poll Results: What best describes you?
I have have kid(s) and am observant/cautious of my speed 6 18.75%
I have have kid(s) and I speed 2 6.25%
I don't have have kid(s) and am observant/cautious of my speed 19 59.38%
I don't have kid(s) and I speed 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2005, 09:42 PM   #1
ff

Speeding in residential areas?

Inspired by the speed bump thread. I'm curious if we'll see an obvious correlation between people that maintain a safe speed (less than or equal to speed limit) while driving through residential areas, and having kids. I think that a person who has kids, is more likely to be observant of their speed.

Be honest.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:44 PM   #2
dan
redefined

I have a child and am observant of my excess speed
Old 05-10-2005, 09:45 PM   #3
ff

Well dang it, I tried re-adding the last poll option, but I can't even edit the poll. The last option is supposed to be "I don't have kid(s) and I speed". Can an admin add this?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:49 PM   #4
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
Well dang it, I tried re-adding the last poll option, but I can't even edit the poll. The last option is supposed to be "I don't have kid(s) and I speed". Can an admin add this?
Done.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:51 PM   #5
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
Done.
Thank you
Old 05-10-2005, 09:57 PM   #6
Roadstergal
Butting in.

I think I keep my speed down better than those who do have kids. I think once the tykes are in the car/van/SUV, the parents cease to give a crap. Near where I used to live in south Bellevue, there was a brief stretch of 25 that went past a nursing home, a school, and a church. I always kept it to 25, and that was the exception. There was one big yellow hummer that never went through slower than ~50.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:07 PM   #7
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal
I think I keep my speed down better than those who do have kids. I think once the tykes are in the car/van/SUV, the parents cease to give a crap. Near where I used to live in south Bellevue, there was a brief stretch of 25 that went past a nursing home, a school, and a church. I always kept it to 25, and that was the exception. There was one big yellow hummer that never went through slower than ~50.
And I see idiots on motorcycles all the time. Neither SUVs or motorcycles have a monopoly on assholes who drive them.

I don't really know how I drive in comparison to others. What I do know is that I am ultra cautious in neighborhoods and residential areas.

Alex
BahnBaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:30 PM   #8
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

There's a house at the end of our row occupied by a bunch of 20-something renters. In general, they're the biggest asshole/shitface residents I've ever met. Not only do they speed excessively (we're talking over 40), I've seen them back all the way from their parking spot, across the street, into the opposing court, then shift to D and peel out of the neighborhood. I'm just waiting to find out who or what they kill before they stop.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:50 PM   #9
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
While I believe myself to be cautious and observant of my speed, I generally do about 5 over in the residential areas in my neighborhood, so I was forced to vote the second option to be in strict compliance with your stated conditions.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:54 PM   #10
operknockity
Finn is in puppy heaven

Carmudgeonly Ride: '02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz
While I believe myself to be cautious and observant of my speed, I generally do about 5 over in the residential areas in my neighborhood, so I was forced to vote the second option to be in strict compliance with your stated conditions.
Ditto, but without the kids.
operknockity is offline   Reply With Quote