carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #1131
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jony Ive

Ive acknowledged that he and Marc Newson, who recently joined Apple as a London-based employee, could “incite ourselves to a sort of fever pitch” of design distress; they’ll complain about things “developed to a schedule, to a cost,” or “developed to be different, not better.” He and Newson are car guys, and they feel disappointed with most modern cars; each summer, they attend the Goodwood Festival of Speed, where vintage sports cars are exhibited and raced in the South of England. “There are some shocking cars on the road,” Ive said. “One person’s car is another person’s scenery.” To his right was a silver sedan with a jutting lower lip. Ive said, quietly, “For example.” As the disgraced car fell behind, I asked Ive to critique its design: “It is baffling, isn’t it? It’s just nothing, isn’t it? It’s just insipid.” He declined to name the model, muttering, “I don’t know, I don’t want to offend.” (Toyota Echo.)
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...pe-things-come

Perfect.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #1132
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Actually, I liked what I could do with it at the time.

I loaded up music and then had this Bluetooth receiver unit plugged in to the aux input in my car. I was able to wirelessly send my "iPod" music to the car stereo way before that was a thing.

Sure, the iPod interface was REALLY clunky. And the phone itself was just a candybar shaped RAZR. But at the time, that wasn't an insult.

Was it Apple-caliber slick? Of course not. And that's the dig on it today. But for what it was, it wasn't bad.
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...ile-phone-ipod

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #1133
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
D'oh.

That article made me say to myself, my phone didn't look like that.

So I Googled. I had the SLVR - which also had iTunes embedded in it. I guess it was a year or so later that the SLVR came out, based on review dates.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1918179,00.asp
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #1134
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

My youngest son just got offered a job upon graduation out in Cupertino as an engineer with Apple. The interview and hiring process has been pretty crazy, and was just capped by doubling an already large signing bonus a month after he accepted and signed his offer letter just "because we like you".

Alex
Old 02-26-2015, 04:56 PM   #1135
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I'm just hoping Tesla pulls their head out of their ass and adds Apple CarPlay to the Model S. Someone in leadership at Tesla answered an email from an owner saying that they had no plans to offer either CarPlay or Android Auto. So every other automaker (except for Toyota) has effectively stated they will offer either or both features as enhancements to their head units...

The current BT integration in the Tesla works, but it would be so much nicer to be able to get a 1/2 screen "app" for CarPlay and control the phone from that when needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum View Post
My youngest son just got offered a job upon graduation out in Cupertino as an engineer with Apple. The interview and hiring process has been pretty crazy, and was just capped by doubling an already large signing bonus a month after he accepted and signed his offer letter just "because we like you".

Alex
Wow... Congrats!
Old 02-26-2015, 05:02 PM   #1136
JST

Quote:

Alex
That's awesome. You clearly have some good genes in that family--congrats!

I, on the other hand, have not been offered a job at Apple. I have been offered a chance to come see the new Tesla Service Center in Fairfax, and it sounds like there is a P85D test drive opportunity, too.

Anyone want to come as my +1? It's on Sunday, March 8th, at 9 AM over by Tyson's Corner.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #1137
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
That's awesome. You clearly have some good genes in that family--congrats!

I, on the other hand, have not been offered a job at Apple. I have been offered a chance to come see the new Tesla Service Center in Fairfax, and it sounds like there is a P85D test drive opportunity, too.

Anyone want to come as my +1? It's on Sunday, March 8th, at 9 AM over by Tyson's Corner.
Um... Yes.

But one of the DC area guys should go with JST instead...
Old 02-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #1138
TD
Founder emeritus

I got an invite today too. I assumed you registered. I have not yet.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #1139
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:

Alex
Wow, that's pretty exciting. Does he know what he's going to be working on yet?

I got the Tesla invite also but don't plan on traveling down for it. I did see a p85d on the road yesterday though... looks the same.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:56 PM   #1140
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Wow, that's pretty exciting. Does he know what he's going to be working on yet?

I got the Tesla invite also but don't plan on traveling down for it. I did see a p85d on the road yesterday though... looks the same.
all the changes are underneath...