carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-03-2019, 06:50 PM   #11
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
As to the fleet market... yes, there is demand. Any company with a carbon neutral target will at least look at the cost/benefit... if the cost to operate an EV truck is the same or less than a gas/diesel truck plus the cost of offsets, they will easily sell. Especially to utilities and their suppliers...

Last edited by ZBB; 09-04-2019 at 05:36 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:55 PM   #12
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
People doubted that buyers would embrace aluminum or give up V8s in favor of a twin-turbo six, as well.

My guess is that pickup buyers are less reactionary than most people think. When presented with a compelling option, they'll go for it. There are a lot of ways in which an EV pickup would be noticeably better than a gas or even diesel option, though there are also clear use cases where it would not be.
Agree. Make a lot of sense for work trucks doing local duty with easy access to overnight charging. Not a great choice for long distance towing until there's a quick and convenient public/retail recharging option.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:38 AM   #13
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Clyde -
Please go to PlugShare.com and filter to only the CCS/SAE chargers. You might be surprised to see just how many public/retail non-Tesla fast chargers are already available. The network is fast expanding - not quite on par with Tesla’s network but catching up fast. Much of this network is funded by VW via their dieselgate settlement, and the Electrify America stations are designed similar to Superchargers with multiple chargers at each station (not just single chargers like many non Tesla stations were prior...)

CCS/SAE is the connector that nearly all existing automakers are using for dastcharging (basically everyone except Nissan)
Old 09-04-2019, 07:04 AM   #14
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Not a great choice for long distance towing
I also wonder what the range will be like when towing. Even if chargers were everywhere, having to stop for 20 minutes of every hour to charge would be maddening.

Of course they could load it up with so many batteries that it runs forever, but then a) it'll cost a fortune, and b) it'll take forever to charge on a level 2 charger.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:17 AM   #15
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Please go to PlugShare.com and filter to only the CCS/SAE chargers. You might be surprised to see just how many public/retail non-Tesla fast chargers are already available.
Is there a way to filter by charging speed on that site?

I'm finding a lot of (what I believe to be) level 2 chargers, and I don't see that as useful except for overnight charging. I'm not sitting in my car outside some dudes house for 6 hours while my car charges.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:59 AM   #16
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Is there a way to filter by charging speed on that site?

I'm finding a lot of (what I believe to be) level 2 chargers, and I don't see that as useful except for overnight charging. I'm not sitting in my car outside some dudes house for 6 hours while my car charges.
Yes, if you click on the hamburger menu on the upper left, there's a "Filter" field, and you can filter by specific charger type--Tesla, Supercharger, J1772, CHAdeMO, SAE/CCS, etc. You can select as many of those as you want to include.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:11 AM   #17
rumatt
Mugwump

Yeah but SAE/CCS doesn't tell me a speed right? Isn't it a huge potential range?

The charger type tells me whether I have the adaptor I need and will be able to charge. Not how long I'm going to be stuck there.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:19 AM   #18
JST

SAE/CCS is all Type 3 DC fast charge; yes, there is a big range on those chargers, but it doesn’t include Type 2.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:20 AM   #19
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Not a great choice for long distance towing
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I also wonder what the range will be like when towing. Even if chargers were everywhere, having to stop for 20 minutes of every hour to charge would be maddening.

Of course they could load it up with so many batteries that it runs forever, but then a) it'll cost a fortune, and b) it'll take forever to charge on a level 2 charger.
Someone must be working on trailers where the wheels are also generators. You can't get something from nothing, but if your trailer wheels can help charge the batteries it would have to extend the range.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #20
JST

Can’t get something from nothing—the drag from the generators would require even higher pulling power.