carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-29-2019, 10:06 AM   #41
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Hm. That sounds desirable, though I don't know if it's worth the extra coin. Plus I am not a fan of those comp package wheels.
Expensive 20" wheels, what's not to like?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:24 AM   #42
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=470

The sticky threads have all the update info (or should, IIRC).

As far as the wheels, I hope you like them because they are a PITA to clean.

2017 changes: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1271973
2018 changes: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1392922

There were more non-publicized tuning/suspension tweaks in the later years though.

Last edited by FC; 05-29-2019 at 10:37 AM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:36 PM   #43
JST

Sadly the '06 convertible sold already. Not surprising giving the price and the fact that it looked to be in nice shape with a desirable spec.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:29 PM   #44
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
It's kind of prying but I never fully understood. Who drove the golf R and who drove the Model 3? From the sound of it, it sounds like the Tesla is for Mrs JST and the Golf R was for JST? Hence the shopping? How many miles per year?

I don't see how an e46 m3 convertible will replace a golf R or be a suitable long trip car (except for the once a year kind of thing that makes it all about the sorta retro car).

And even if BMW > VW in some ways maintenance, an 06 vs. a recent Golf R for less headache???

It's more of a boxster replacement. Perhaps the same speed or a touch faster on a straight. Worse handling, older design, more space for 4.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #45
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Sadly the '06 convertible sold already. Not surprising giving the price and the fact that it looked to be in nice shape with a desirable spec.
I think you were kind of saved from yourself here.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:43 PM   #46
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
It's kind of prying but I never fully understood. Who drove the golf R and who drove the Model 3? From the sound of it, it sounds like the Tesla is for Mrs JST and the Golf R was for JST? Hence the shopping? How many miles per year?

I don't see how an e46 m3 convertible will replace a golf R or be a suitable long trip car (except for the once a year kind of thing that makes it all about the sorta retro car).

And even if BMW > VW in some ways maintenance, an 06 vs. a recent Golf R for less headache???

It's more of a boxster replacement. Perhaps the same speed or a touch faster on a straight. Worse handling, older design, more space for 4.
Usually Mrs. JST drove the Golf R, but for the right car I'd take over driving the Golf R replacement.

An E46 M3 convertible doesn't make any sense, really, except that one was basically the spec I would have ordered back in the day so it was tempting.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:16 PM   #47
JST

OK, the orange '16 appears to have M adaptive suspension, heated rear seats, and a variety of other random stuff, but it doesn't look like any of the packages? No moonroof, which is kind of a bummer.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:23 PM   #48
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
Not his personnel one, but will work https://www.alfaromeoofsantabarbara....ship/staff.htm
That's funny.

I thought about him over the weekend since I was in Santa Barbara and drove past the BMW dealer a couple times.

Hopefully he will get his new employer to sponsor an Alfafest.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:27 PM   #49
nate
Oh, are they?

The M6 Gran Coupe could be had with a manual: https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/m-mo...fications.html

I thought that was still in production, but it doesn't show up on the build page.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:36 PM   #50
nate
Oh, are they?

Thread inspired me to do a little poking around at what is available locally with 4 doors and manual.

This is quite a unicorn: https://www.sonicautomotive.com/used...5af70b0ec2.htm

If it is an actual manual. I find the flappy paddle transmissions are often categorized as manuals.