Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #141
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Vette drivers. They are generally old and slow
Yes! It seems like every time I see a Corvette it's the slowest car in the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I'd say give a used 240i in the right spec a whirl.
The problem with the 240i is the steering. Whether it annoys you is a personal thing, but I'm very sensitive to weird feedback through the steering wheel and it drove me nuts. It's the main reason I crossed the 240i off my list. The M2's steering may not be perfect but it was definitely better.

This was why I was so cranky with BMW (before I gave up on them entirely and moved on) . The M2 showed that they did indeed know how to make electronic steering that didn't completely suck, and they were choosing not to. They have electronically selectable drive modes. Use them for fcuks sake. So stupid.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #142
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Yes! It seems like every time I see a Corvette it's the slowest car in the road.

The problem with the 240i is the steering. Whether it annoys you is a personal thing, but I'm very sensitive to weird feedback through the steering wheel and it drove me nuts. It's the main reason I crossed the 240i off my list. The M2's steering may not be perfect but it was definitely better.

This was why I was so cranky with BMW (before I gave up on them entirely and moved on) . The M2 showed that they did indeed know how to make electronic steering that didn't completely suck, and they were choosing not to. They have electronically selectable drive modes. Use them for fcuks sake. So stupid.
Apparently swapping out the 240's LCAs for the M2's helps a lot with the steering. https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...light=steering
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:33 PM   #143
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post

You know I must be that old man now... Mixed up my threads. I was joining the chorus of recommendations for the 240 for JV.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:41 PM   #144
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I'm in a holding pattern now. Haven't ordered a clutch for the Mazda yet.

I really can see myself getting a Tesla as the next car. The question is if, and when, I can convince myself to sacrifice the boxster for one.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #145
John V
No more BMWs

I finally broke down and bought a clutch for the Mazda. It's sitting outside the upper garage waiting for its time on the lift. The RX-8 is occupying that spot as I finish up the gearbox conversion, but it's at least mobile at this point so this weekend the plan is to push it out, get the Mazda in there and bang out the clutch swap before the snow starts to fly. I have actually really missed driving this car.

Marisa and I talked about the Boxster. We took it up to Northeast PA for our yearly trip up there and once again loved driving all the twisty roads. Top up or top down that car never fails to impress. I took it on another trip to northern PA two weekends ago to my friend Shelly's place and via the twistiest roads I could find that connected my house to hers. It's just as close to a perfect car as I've ever found. I just don't think I could be happy replacing it with a Tesla, nevermind the fact that the Tesla just wouldn't work on trips like these. Neither destination has any way to charge the thing, the superchargers en route are inconveniently located and it wouldn't be even close to as much fun on those roads. So at least for now a Tesla is off the table.

Looks like at least another winter of perseveration for me
Old 11-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #146
JST

JV, are you *sure* you don't want a rotary?

https://bringatrailer.com/2019/11/11...0-in-pasadena/
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #147
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I finally broke down and bought a clutch for the Mazda. It's sitting outside the upper garage waiting for its time on the lift. The RX-8 is occupying that spot as I finish up the gearbox conversion, but it's at least mobile at this point so this weekend the plan is to push it out, get the Mazda in there and bang out the clutch swap before the snow starts to fly. I have actually really missed driving this car.

Marisa and I talked about the Boxster. We took it up to Northeast PA for our yearly trip up there and once again loved driving all the twisty roads. Top up or top down that car never fails to impress. I took it on another trip to northern PA two weekends ago to my friend Shelly's place and via the twistiest roads I could find that connected my house to hers. It's just as close to a perfect car as I've ever found. I just don't think I could be happy replacing it with a Tesla, nevermind the fact that the Tesla just wouldn't work on trips like these. Neither destination has any way to charge the thing, the superchargers en route are inconveniently located and it wouldn't be even close to as much fun on those roads. So at least for now a Tesla is off the table.

Good!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:06 PM   #148
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:

Good for you... And I agree.. In my first year with it, I drove the boxster 6000 to 7000 miles. Life (and where I live) has changed since and I'm only putting about 2000 miles, constantly questioning if it's worth it... until that weekend comes and it drives like nothing else. I do think the 2009 to 2016 3.4 Boxsters are fantastic and the 2005 to 2008 are not half bad either. I did 34000 miles in my first cayman; they are just great cars.

Just the clutch/shifting/throttle is so good; even after two three straight days of driving the 340i; I started thinking maybe the f30 is better with the 8-speed ZF auto-tragic (no longer as tragic as they used to be); it takes so much focus to get the shifts smooth.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:41 PM   #149
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
I don't think Tesla's quirks and limitations are the key here. There's something about that boxster that you really connect with. You should keep it, maybe forever, even if you do become an old man like me and buy a Tesla.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #150
John V
No more BMWs

I do really want a Tesla for commuting. It's the perfect appliance for that.

Unfortunately it's just way too expensive to buy solely for that purpose.