carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-03-2004, 02:48 PM   #1
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Invalid Carriage
Dodge Charger

The 2006 Dodge Charger will have Hemi power as an option.

Dodge unveils sketch of new Charger, car to bow at '05 Detroit show

Dodge has confirmed with this first sketch that it aims to again recreate some of the company's early muscle-car magic conjured by the Charger name.

The 2006 Charger, a stout and roubust four-door that carries a rakish roof line and the large, egg-crate face of the company's performance car and truck division, also replaces Dodge's Intrepid NASCAR entry. It looks "almost like a four-door coupe" said Dr. Dieter Zetsche in an exclusive interview on Friday.

The Charger will debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January 2005, and is expected to enter showrooms in the spring of 2005. True to its power image, it will carry with it the much-vaunted, 340-hp Hemi engine under the hood as an option. Its base engine is expected to be a 3.5-liter V6 making 250 horsepower.

When the Charger first appeared in 1966 it was an enthusiasts' dream with high power, great performance and slick style that competed and won on oval tracks as well as drag strips.

In the early 1970s, however, thanks to government-mandated emissions constraints and rising gas prices, the Charger began a long and steady fall from car guy grace. It reached its nadir in 1981 when the company took the once-proud name and attached it to a thoroughly dreadful front-drive coupe in an effort to capitalize on its heritage and move units.

The new regime at DaimlerChrysler understands it doesn't have the benefit of overpromising and underdelivering. "We have to get the product right everytime," Zetsche said.

Pricing for the car will likely start at just below the Chrysler 300, at around $23,000.

Considering how tough this beast appears in sketches, can you imagine what the high-end SRT-12 version will look like?

Surprise, surprise! The official sketches looks EXACTLY like the drawing on the recent issue of C&D - minus the retro-fugly paintjob. I'm sure the actual model won't come with 22-inch wheels as seen above.

Eh... I dunno, doesn't it seem like a reskinned 300C? They said that the 5.7 Hemi is an option, and that it starts "just under" the Chryslers $23,920 MSRP. The 300C with the Hemi is $33,495, so just how much of a price difference are we talking about, V8 to V8? Enough so that the Charger doesn't compete with the 300C for sales?

Meh. It would be a nice daily driver, if my other car was a S2000/Vette. But it'll probably be over the 2-ton mark.
Jason C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Well, I'm glad they're offering a car like this, anyway. For my money I'd rather save up a bit and get the 300C, which is a more compelling styling exercise IMO. This does look like a reskinned 300, and it probably is, but the usual things that will make it a Dodge rather than a Chrysler will probably add up to disappointment. That said, I think I'd rather own a Magnum than any potential 300C-like Chrysler variant of the wagon.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 04:00 PM   #3
Jason C
Carmudgeon

Lol, it looks like C&D got their sketch from a DCX guy.

Old 10-03-2004, 04:46 PM   #4
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
this is a stupid question (and i admit that i'm dumb a lot), but is the 300C/charger based on the former E class?

or some new global DC platform?

just curious. am wondering where all of the weight is coming from on these behemoths.

lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 06:41 PM   #5
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
this is a stupid question (and i admit that i'm dumb a lot), but is the 300C/charger based on the former E class?

just curious. am wondering where all of the weight is coming from on these behemoths.
Former E-class bits; how much of it really would be familiar to a Mercedes tech, I really don't know, but it's generally credited that the suspension design and driveline (other than the engine) are the same. My guess is that the 300/Charger is "stretched" in key dimensions.

It's a big car, at least if its the same size as the 300. 4000 lbs and no stick reduce its appeal for me to zero, but I am glad DCX is building it. I agree with Blair--I'd probably save my pennies and dimes to get the 300C, but what I'd really get if I were in that market is the 300C SRT-8.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 06:44 PM   #6
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming

Former E-class bits; how much of it really would be familiar to a Mercedes tech, I really don't know, but it's generally credited that the suspension design and driveline (other than the engine) are the same. My guess is that the 300/Charger is "stretched" in key dimensions.

It's a big car, at least if its the same size as the 300. 4000 lbs and no stick reduce its appeal for me to zero, but I am glad DCX is building it. I agree with Blair--I'd probably save my pennies and dimes to get the 300C, but what I'd really get if I were in that market is the 300C SRT-8.
Yes, that.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 08:02 PM   #7
Jason C
Carmudgeon

No 3rd pedal? Not even on the SRTs?

Old 10-03-2004, 09:23 PM   #8
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
No 3rd pedal? Not even on the SRTs?

No sir. Not yet, if ever.

Lame lame lame.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 09:48 PM   #9
killerdeck
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2016 BMW M3
Well alrighty then! I will be sure to post pictures of it when I return from the show in January then. Thanks for the info!
killerdeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 10:03 PM   #10
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdeck
Well alrighty then! I will be sure to post pictures of it when I return from the show in January then. Thanks for the info!
That reminds me, blee...are we going again?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote