carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-18-2018, 09:19 AM   #1001
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Well I finally drove the tesla on 18" Sottozero 3's.

1. The ride is actually harsher than the 20" michelins. I'm at roughly the same PSI (42). I'm sure the ride will improve when I lower it, but I'm curious how it will impact range.

2. Totally non-scientific, but range appeared to be about the same

3. TPMS system isn't working. Get home, check paperwork to see if I need to do something to enable the TPMS... discover that I didn't order TPMS. I must have somehow unchecked the box without realizing it. FML.

The receipt says, "Customer will transfer OEM sensors"... onto the wheels and tires that I ordered mounted and balanced? An "Are you sure?" email would have been nice here.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #1002
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
3. TPMS system isn't working. Get home, check paperwork to see if I need to do something to enable the TPMS... discover that I didn't order TPMS. I must have somehow unchecked the box without realizing it. FML.

The receipt says, "Customer will transfer OEM sensors"... onto the wheels and tires that I ordered mounted and balanced? An "Are you sure?" email would have been nice here.
Are you sure it was checked to begin with? Thought the default was unchecked. Checking it adds a selection/confirmation step to the checkout process.

Tire Rack charges a lot for sensors compared to other sources, but if you're buying mounted, you don't have much choice if you want them.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:54 PM   #1003
JST

Autopilot Hot Take: I continue to be baffled by the utility of this technology. It works surprisingly well on the freeways around here, but since you still have to watch the road and keep your hands on (ish) the wheel, I don’t find it relaxing at all.

I’m glad Tesla gave me the free trial, so I can be confident I made the right call not ordering it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:53 PM   #1004
rumatt
Mugwump

I'm glad you didn't waste money ordering something you didn't want.

And at the same time I'm wondering how a) our commutes or b) we are so different.

When in traffic I find it significantly more relaxing.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:52 PM   #1005
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
So do I.

While it’s been over 6 weeks since I’ve had my car, for the couple weeks I commuted in it, I returned home feeling more relaxed than without AP...
Old 11-18-2018, 09:01 PM   #1006
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Are you ordering your tpms from tirerack? I had a situation where I bought an upgrade set of wheels for the JGC that should have had tpms, but didn't (no way to tell right away as it takes 5-10 miles to learn). I ordered from tpms.com.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #1007
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I'm glad you didn't waste money ordering something you didn't want.

And at the same time I'm wondering how a) our commutes or b) we are so different.

When in traffic I find it significantly more relaxing.
Just out of curiosity, did you use cruise control? I never did. Literally the last time I used cruise was...i don't know. 20 years ago? Or more.

Yeah, I'm not sure what it is. Maybe if I used it more I'd be able to relax a little? But I feel like if I did that, where is the line between that and complacency?

As it is, I feel like I'm hyper-vigilantly monitoring not only the traffic but also the car's reaction to it, and yet I can't influence how things happen without just turning it off.

It's bizarre.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:11 PM   #1008
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Are you ordering your tpms from tirerack? I had a situation where I bought an upgrade set of wheels for the JGC that should have had tpms, but didn't (no way to tell right away as it takes 5-10 miles to learn). I ordered from tpms.com.
Was that a Tire Rack order, too? And both you and Matt thought you were getting TPMS in the orders?

You have to take manual action to add TPMS to Tire Rack orders. They also charge you 2-3x what the sensors would cost you elsewhere, but if you get them elsewhere, you'll probably have to pay someone to dismount/mount, so I guess it's a wash.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:53 PM   #1009
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Was that a Tire Rack order, too? And both you and Matt thought you were getting TPMS in the orders?

You have to take manual action to add TPMS to Tire Rack orders. They also charge you 2-3x what the sensors would cost you elsewhere, but if you get them elsewhere, you'll probably have to pay someone to dismount/mount, so I guess it's a wash.
I've never forgotten the TPMS on a tirerack order. I was buying wheels/tires old school and the price was good enough that when I realized they were missing TPMS, I let it go.

I shopped tirerack before other locations and found tpms.com to be a good place (perhaps half of tirerack price?) to get the set. They don't need to fully dismount, they can put the wheel on the mount/dismount machine start turning it and popping the tire off at which point they can reach behind the valve. Kind of like changing a bike tube without taking the tire off. The catch is that for me, they still needed rebalancing. I wouldn't have thought it, but the little added sensor weight was enough to introduce a tiny shake.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:06 PM   #1010
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Are you sure it was checked to begin with?
Not sure. But I'm well aware of the check box and I would have bet $1000 that I checked it.

You would have won.

I'm pretty sure what happened is this - I tend to put things in the cart to see what they would cost, or remember them for later... then delete them. I suspect I put a second version of the wheels in (without sensors) and then deleted the wrong ones.