carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-26-2023, 07:53 PM   #4991
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Couple more items, re: 911 ST —

It has a gurney flap because Porsche Motorsport thinks the GT3 Touring rear spoiler looks goofy and they want to minimize the usage of it. So it doesn’t deploy until 80mph.

Second —they re programmed the dampers so it has a much better ride than the GT3s which tend to be high strung and flinty.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 08:06 PM   #4992
JST

The good news is that it should be relatively easy to retune the GT3 dampers if you’re looking for a better compromise, no?
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 09:35 PM   #4993
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The good news is that it should be relatively easy to retune the GT3 dampers if you’re looking for a better compromise, no?
I think whenever they pull this thing about “only 1963 examples” it drives the insanity.

I’m 100% convinced the ST will drive differently. And maybe even better…..as a better GT3 Touring.

But I’ve never liked the idea of a Touring anyway, so I guess it’s really aimed at that crowd? Like “sorry, guys, we knew we messed up the suspension of the GT3 for the road……oh well”.

I think if the GT3RS is going for $520-550k to drive off a dealer lot, this car has to be the same, if you can even get the allocation.

Old 09-27-2023, 11:08 AM   #4994
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I think whenever they pull this thing about “only 1963 examples” it drives the insanity.

I’m 100% convinced the ST will drive differently. And maybe even better…..as a better GT3 Touring.

But I’ve never liked the idea of a Touring anyway, so I guess it’s really aimed at that crowd? Like “sorry, guys, we knew we messed up the suspension of the GT3 for the road……oh well”.

I think if the GT3RS is going for $520-550k to drive off a dealer lot, this car has to be the same, if you can even get the allocation.
yeah it rides a lot better then GT3 according to the online videos

Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 11:23 AM   #4995
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
yeah it rides a lot better then GT3 according to the online videos

My main comment is that the GT3 (not the GT3 Touring) is so fantastic on the track —these comments resonate less with me. I have no FOMO here.

(I don’t even have FOMO for the Sport classic because it has the clunky 7 speed manual.)

Old 09-27-2023, 11:26 AM   #4996
dan
redefined

still time to change to Ruby Star Sean!
Old 09-27-2023, 11:32 AM   #4997
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
My main comment is that the GT3 (not the GT3 Touring) is so fantastic on the track —these comments resonate less with me. I have no FOMO here.

(I don’t even have FOMO for the Sport classic because it has the clunky 7 speed manual.)
yes S/T is more for the street then track.

As you mentioned, GT3 touring is kind of a odd package. Sounds like it is for touring but still has the track ready suspension which is not ideal for the street. I agree, touring should soften up the suspension a bit compared to the GT3(also add the rear seats as an option)
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 11:48 AM   #4998
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
yes S/T is more for the street then track.

As you mentioned, GT3 touring is kind of a odd package. Sounds like it is for touring but still has the track ready suspension which is not ideal for the street. I agree, touring should soften up the suspension a bit compared to the GT3(also add the rear seats as an option)
My main takeaway is that the S/T is a mea culpa because the GT3 Touring is a lazy engineering effort.

It has neither the enhanced downforce of the standard GT3, nor a street adapted steering ratio or damping.

I guess since I have never fallen in love with the GT3 Touring, I’m so meh.

But it would rock my world if they put the GT3RS or the RSR engine in the 992.2 GT3. That would wake me up from my stubborn and willful ignorance.

Old 09-27-2023, 11:55 AM   #4999
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
still time to change to Ruby Star Sean!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 11:58 AM   #5000
SCA
Jaded