carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 05-18-2015, 08:21 AM   #1
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

All Season Tires Suck

Just switched the Abarth from the winter tires (stock 195/45-16 Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season) to the summer tires (optional 205/40-17 Pirelli P Zero tires).

And it felt much better, just backing out of the driveway.

Yes, All Seasons do what they are designed to do, but I had not really paid attention to the difference in past years.

SO much more fun on summer tires.

Just for reference, we ordered the car with the Optional 17" wheels and tires, but picked up a set of the stock 16" wheels and tires from a guy in Harrisburg, who drove them home and put aftermarket on. I knew I needed something for winter, and only paid something like $900 for the set of wheels/tires/mini hub caps (center area).

Still enjoy the heck out of the Abarth around town. Not a great ride for long trips. But still getting a bit over 30 MPG in general use, and 35+ for mainly highway use. Can dip into the high 20s if you play a lot. And sounds SO nice, it is hard to not play, especially in windows down weather.

And coming up on 25,000 miles, almost 3 years owning it, and only maintenance has been one reflash of the ECU and oil changes. NOTHING else.
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:30 AM   #2
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Tire tech is really amazing.

I saw a video yesterday (EVO's analogue super cars - pretty awesome, BTW), and there is mention that the Carrera GT, shod with current PSSs, feels that much better because some of the nervousness and twitchiness is gone, allowing the driver to safely enjoy the car more.

BTW, I also recommend their F1 vs P1 video.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:38 PM   #3
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
I've just had a set of Michelin AS3's put on. They're advertised as a "hyper ultimate performance all season" tire. Or something like that.

Compared to my last set they have been great. Still haven't pushed them hard given they are brand new and probably still a bit slick. But already I love the ride quality. Not as harsh as my old tires. So far VERY pleased with them.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote