carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-25-2017, 08:44 AM   #11
JST

I drove a very early F10 535 and it was totally unappealing. I get that there were some later suspension improvements, but if I were going to settle for a slush box I'd look at basically everything else first. C/Ds recent comparo suggested that the Jag, Cadillac, and even the Mercedes were more fun to drive.

But I'd probably get a Panamera.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:20 AM   #12
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
i want an F10 or G30 for daily use (soon).

(this E92 M3 thing is temporary)
If you go with the F10 be careful if you get the m sport package, I went through a lot of tires and bent wheels with both my 2013 535 and 2015 550.

My brother has the identical m sport tires and wheels on his 640 GC and has the same issue though he has the tire and wheel insurance so it cost him a bit less.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #13
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I drove a very early F10 535 and it was totally unappealing. I get that there were some later suspension improvements, but if I were going to settle for a slush box I'd look at basically everything else first. C/Ds recent comparo suggested that the Jag, Cadillac, and even the Mercedes were more fun to drive.

I try to like the Panamera but it is just SOOOO big ...

None of these mid size sedans are going to offer the drivers feel that the E39 offered ... like Equ said the F10 is a great car to drive in traffic and long drives ... I'll add that it is a comfortable car with nice handling and good to great power depending on the engine you have .... would I take one out for a Sunday enthusiastic drive ... no but that's what sports cars are for.

With that said I will also add my A6 feels like it handles better then either of my past F10's ... I think that is because the run flats in the bimmers really don't feel like tires that grip the road, they feel like you are riding on top of the road.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #14
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I don't know, I rode in a friend's brand new A6 3.0T and on rough patches it rode much worse than my car with 45k miles on it. His must have been the base suspension, I'm not sure if they offer adaptive options, they must.

My spec:
- 6-speed (Do not regret this one bit, completely changes the character of the car)
- Sports package (I'm not sure what this gets you, I already dumped the wheels for m-sports)
- Comfort seats
- Adaptive suspension (not the passive m-sport), so adaptive shocks and roll-bar - with all the ride/handling benefits and probably some high cost in the long term
- 19" M-Sport wheels that AF is terrified of
- Michelin PSS, not runflat
- donut in boot - but it's quite big
- Adding M-Sport steering wheel soon (will lose heating function)

Winter is on 17" with tall, TALL 225/55 sidewalled Michelin X-Ice, again non-runflat.

My spec is far from perfect. Would have preferred:
- Full M-Sport with adaptive suspension (if simply for looks, I'm still missing the bumpers)
- Folding rear seats
- Nappa leather (mocha?)
- Better sound system (I have base)
- Rear camera (really? In a car this big)

Absolutely not the car for a "fun drive", but competent cruiser, enough grip and turn in. Just not a lot of feedback or response, if that's what you're looking for. I generally keep it in 'Normal'. Comfort for slow speeds and moon surfaces. Sport when I'm looking to hustle and for a firm highway ride.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:48 AM   #15
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

Panamera S would be nice. Kind of in a different league price wise though. Even if you get a decent used on it'll still be like 50k and then you have to foot the bill for all maintenance and repairs.

Love the redesigned version - it's gorgeous. I think that would be my family car of choice if I had unlimited money.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #16
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Panamera S would be nice. Kind of in a different league price wise though. Even if you get a decent used on it'll still be like 50k and then you have to foot the bill for all maintenance and repairs.

Love the redesigned version - it's gorgeous. I think that would be my family car of choice if I had unlimited money.

I agree that the new ones look a lot better. I saw two parked together the other day and was amused how small the difference is.

It's amazing how that little tweak to the window line makes such a difference.

JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:41 AM   #17
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
It's more the taillight/hatch/bumper adjustment than the window for me. It looks less dumpy now.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:03 AM   #18
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Agreed, the windows definitely help but I think the bigger improvement is the rear end - new model has higher rear window, higher taillights and higher rear plate and looks less like it's dragging its ass on the ground.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:15 AM   #19
ff

Agreed, much nicer. It looks like a car designed from the ground-up as a GT. Rather than looking like someone cut and welded a 911 in an attempt to turn it into a limo.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:30 AM   #20
robg
Carmudgeon

G30 540i -- C/D Review

The smoothed out roofline helps a lot - possibly the most important tweak .

I could imagine talking myself into a used one in 3-4 years
robg is offline   Reply With Quote