carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #1
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
E90 M3

So I've said it many times but this is my top contender for the M5 replacement. I know a few of you have been through ownership of one of these and I am looking for long term feedback.

I already know the fuel tank is small and it gets pretty shitty mileage. Neither is a big deal to me since I drive less then 6,500 miles a year.

More important is the driving experience. How's the 8/10ths handling limit and the ease of use?

I'm mainly worried about the comments relating to the gutless low end. I love the low end on the end M5 and worry this will really get to me.

JST, Jeff?
Old 01-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
So I've said it many times but this is my top contender for the M5 replacement. I know a few of you have been through ownership of one of these and I am looking for long term feedback.

I already know the fuel tank is small and it gets pretty shitty mileage. Neither is a big deal to me since I drive less then 6,500 miles a year.

More important is the driving experience. How's the 8/10ths handling limit and the ease of use?

I'm mainly worried about the comments relating to the gutless low end. I love the low end on the end M5 and worry this will really get to me.

JST, Jeff?
I've never lived with an E39 M5, so it's hard for me to offer a direct comparison.

I will say this--I came close to pulling the trigger on an E39 M5 at least 3 times, and each time I stopped myself because, at the end of the day, the car just felt big. The E90 doesn't have that problem. It's a bit broader of beam than the E46, but it feels a lot lighter and more wieldy than the E39 does.

The lack of low end isn't something you should take that seriously. Yes, it's an engine that loves to rev, and yes, the low end feels a lot less special than the top end. But even around town it's not slow, especially if you leave it in the faster throttle mapping of Sport mode. It's much, much better than (e.g.) a V8 S4, which always felt really gutless to me on the low end.

You should drive one to confirm (and it's been years since I've owned mine), but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

BUT.

You should just buy an SS instead, because that car is hilarious and does everything you want and will retain its value better, anyway.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:58 PM   #3
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Thanks, that really does help. It's really nice here this weekend for once since the stupid amount of rain we have been having. I am going to try and get out and drive one. There is a 2013 coupe at the local dealer. It's a DTC but at least I'll get some idea of what it's like.

On the SS topic. Are you trying to convince me or yourself. ��
Old 01-27-2017, 04:04 PM   #4
JST

Quote:
Thanks, that really does help. It's really nice here this weekend for once since the stupid amount of rain we have been having. I am going to try and get out and drive one. There is a 2013 coupe at the local dealer. It's a DTC but at least I'll get some idea of what it's like.

On the SS topic. Are you trying to convince me or yourself. ��
Both!

I would buy an SS, except it would really mostly be my wife's car and she doesn't actually want a RWD sedan. She's pretty happy with the Golf.

But I know I am going to regret it.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Both!
Make that 3 of us.

EDIT: fuck, I keep forgetting the fucking rear seat doesn't fucking fold down.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Make that 3 of us.

not an issue

Old 01-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #7
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Make that 3 of us.

Doesn't fold down enough for a bike, no.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #8
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
... How's the 8/10ths handling limit and the ease of use?
Guess that was one of my complaints, car was numb until you got it up to near 8/10ths. So driving around town at sane speeds it was boring to me and did not feel that special Guess that could be a good thing for some people.

Also like JST mentioned, lack of low end torque is not that big of deal and it was nice engine to rev out. Basically the engine was the best part of the car. With that said what did annoy me was the terrible gas mileage along with lack of torque for a V8. You can get 'merican car with a 6.2l engine with a boatload of torque and less complexity with same or better gas mileage.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #9
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Come on people. Be honest. Who on this board is ever going to buy an 'merican (nice one Jeff) sports car. WE ALL TALK ABOUT IT but no one pulls the trigger.

And no the old C4 track usage cars don't count.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:27 PM   #10
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
I would be more a Nick type transplant a Merican V8 into a german or japanese car
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote