carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 03-11-2008, 07:33 AM   #1
BobFV1
Lazy Lightning

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2008 BMW 550i
E60 - Cell Phone Cradle

There is a thread on another board about somebody wanting to install a new cradle for their cell phone in their 08 550. I piped up and said "why would you want to do that when Bluetooth synchs you". They correctly point out that the cradle allows them to charge up (not a problem for me) and one commented that it allows better connectivity to the network because it allows the phone to interface via the car-top "sharkfin" antenna.

I would have thought that any time the phone is connected by Bluetooth to the car system, that the sharkfin antenna would be in use, rather than the little antenna in the phone - is this correct or not? Just curious, thanks!
BobFV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I don't know. One would think paying the $$$ for BT connectivity would get you any and all related functionality. But it's BMW, so...
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:08 AM   #3
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFV1 View Post

I would have thought that any time the phone is connected by Bluetooth to the car system, that the sharkfin antenna would be in use, rather than the little antenna in the phone - is this correct or not? Just curious, thanks!
I have an '03 E39, which was the first year Bluetooth was avail. I added BT shortly after I bought the car...

I never got the cradle. The main reason is that they never made a cradle for my phone that fits the E39 BT kit. The benefit of the cradle is that it charges the phone. Depending on the phone, it may or may not use the sharkfin -- not all phones have an external antenna connection. I think most phones these days no longer have it -- so its probably not a huge benefit if all you're looking for is a bigger antenna...
Old 03-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
Optimus Prime
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Golf TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFV1 View Post
There is a thread on another board about somebody wanting to install a new cradle for their cell phone in their 08 550. I piped up and said "why would you want to do that when Bluetooth synchs you". They correctly point out that the cradle allows them to charge up (not a problem for me) and one commented that it allows better connectivity to the network because it allows the phone to interface via the car-top "sharkfin" antenna.

I was told by my dealer that the only way to have your phone use the sharkfin antenna was through the cradle. The bluetooth sees your car as a "headset" and likely doesn't have the ability to use bluetooth to connect to an external antenna. I think it's as much a function of the phone as the car.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Bluetooth doesn't act as the phone's antenna. It transmits some data back and forth between the car and the phone, but it's not the data coming from the cell towers through the phone recevier. At least, that's the way I understand it works.

The cradle creates a hard connection to the external antenna. It's great if you can use it b/c it increases the power of the antenna by quite a bit. Having said that, I doubt I will get the cradle simply b/c I haven't really seen the need for it up to this point. I also think the cellular technology has advanced enough that the benefit of the external antenna is not as big of a jump as it used to be.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote