carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-16-2006, 09:14 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Sell, hold, or replace the ZHP?

Prompted by the ZHP thread and a week at my new job, I had the chance to have my wife hostage on the drive back from Montreal tonight. The facts are simple:

-I can count in one hand the times in the last year when both our cars have been used simultaneously.

-I can ride my bicycle to work if need be (heck, I could run to work ). 3 miles to work.

-I drop off my wife at the train station every morning and pick her up at night. 1.5 miles to the train station.

-I keep saying to myself that I'll drive the 330i on weekends, but the truth is that prior to my new work, I NEVER drove my 330i on weekends because we are always shopping for something for the house or going somewhere I don't trust leaving the 330i parked.

-Right now I just don't have the time to AutoX, track, etc.

So... I can sell my 330i take the equity to pay off the Saabaru and save $950 a month (600 330i & 350 Saabaru) plus ~$1K in 330i insurance a year.

This is not driven by us needing the money, but rather knowing the 330i is going to be parked most of the time and we could always use the money to fix the house sooner.

Regardless, the 1-car thing will end hopefully within 1-2 years when we have a child. My wife will need a family car while she is home, and depending on how having a child affects things financially, we will decide what kind of car to get as a 2nd car.

Is this insane? Will I regret this?

Wife suggested trading Saabaru as well for a larger/better wagon, but I think the current 9-2X will do until/if we have a child.

Thoughts?

OT: BTW, I just "can't" surf the web at my new job, so I'm down to early in the am or after work and maybe lunch time ...like normal people, I guess.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
I like your car, but a Cayman is much much cooler. If you value frequent visits from zach, I advise selling the 330i and getting a Cayman.

Zach
zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:46 PM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcasavant
I like your car, but a Cayman is much much cooler. If you value frequent visits from zach, I advise selling the 330i and getting a Cayman.

Zach
I may very well sell the 330i and end up with a Cayman/Boxster, but there would be a year or two in between the two events.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:10 PM   #4
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando
I had the chance to have my wife hostage on the drive back from Montreal tonight.

If your wife ever met mine, they would be able to commiserate.

I hope I didn't lead you down this waffling all based on my post.

In general, I'm game for buying and holding cars. But I'm also game for saving money. You'll get some enjoyment out of keeping the ZHP longer, but what if it ditching the ZHP now means you can afford the Cayman in 4 years from onw instead of 8? Is having a ZHP garage queen now worth delaying your Cayman?

Now.. what are the specs on your ZHP again?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:14 PM   #5
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt

In general, I'm game for buying and holding cars. But I'm also game for saving money. You'll get some enjoyment out of keeping the ZHP longer, but what if it ditching the ZHP now means you can afford the Cayman in 4 years from onw instead of 8? Is having a ZHP garage queen now worth delaying your Cayman?

what he wrote.

i am starting to feel the same way about my vehicle(s). i'm probably going to unload 1 (OR 2) this summer and get into something cheap and disposable.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:21 PM   #6
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Personally I'd keep the BMW and dump the Saabaru. Granted I've never spent much time with one but I have to believe the BMW is an incredibly more gratifying car to drive. Stop treating it like a museum piece and just drive it.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:28 PM   #7
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Personally I'd keep the BMW and dump the Saabaru. Granted I've never spent much time with one but I have to believe the BMW is an incredibly more gratifying car to drive. Stop treating it like a museum piece and just drive it.
i dunno.

mortgage. student loan debt (under/over-grad). for a fiscal conservative, some things outweigh others. after all, one driver the separates many subclasses of society socioeconomically is often the ability to delay instant gratification.

if there is a goal, it's not a bad plan. even if it's just to decrease unnecessary burn rate, it's not a bad plan. but the plan is even better if it accelerates the countdown to a really gratifying car to drive.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:31 PM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt

LOL. No, you did not lead me down this path. I thought of this as soon as I knew my current job was interested in me (over a month ago).

FWIW...

2003 BMW 330i
-Took European Delivery on May 15 2003 (warranty runs from that day).
- ~41000
-Performance Package, Moonroof, heated seats, Bi-Xenon, Aluminum cube trim, Imola Red paint
-Manual transmission, Alcantara interior (new alcantara wheel)
-M68 wheels (in very good shape) for winter with 225/45 R17 LM-22's all around.
-Icelink installed, heavy duty front rubber mats.
-One cracked foglight, one small dent above fuel cap, one small nick on a spoke on the M135 rear/right wheel. Other than that it is in pretty damned good shape for a car with 41K miles. No issues at all. (Rear) tires are pretty worn.
-Oil changed (BMW oil/filter) every 7500 miles.
-Never tracked, 4 Autoxes. Still great even at high speeds on original alignment. Virtually no strut tower deformation.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:38 PM   #9
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
No car is gratifying to drive cold for 5 minutes, IMO. I don't have the time to drive for the sake of driving.

Now, I could say dump both cars and get a 5MT 325xi, or something, but it's not worth the effort, I don't think. Anyway, I'm still thinking it over.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:40 PM   #10
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
i dunno.

mortgage. student loan debt (under/over-grad). for a fiscal conservative, some things outweigh others. after all, one driver the separates many subclasses of society socioeconomically is often the ability to delay instant gratification.

if there is a goal, it's not a bad plan. even if it's just to decrease unnecessary burn rate, it's not a bad plan. but the plan is even better if it accelerates the countdown to a really gratifying car to drive.
Yeah, plan was to dump 330i and get sportscar in '09. If I do this I might just con myself into getting sportscar in '08. Anyway, we'll see.