carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-23-2021, 12:49 PM   #131
JST

And at least you avoided this fate:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/41242/...one-last-drive
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:18 PM   #132
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
And at least you avoided this fate:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/41242/...one-last-drive
I was thinking about that too while driving my turbo around for the last few times
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:19 PM   #133
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I kept thinking about driving it to work but literally I only drove it twice since April. I guess that was part of what made it easy to let go.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:07 PM   #134
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Yes. Always had this fear as well, once I've decided to sell a car.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:48 PM   #135
clyde
Chief title editor

Why would you worry about this on a car that you have insured?

I mean it would suck, for sure, but, so what? On the other side, you will have your money instead of the car. If there's any question about the car's value, you had an agreement in place on what it was worth which should be helpful.

There's stuff in life worth worrying about. I don't think this is one of them.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:22 PM   #136
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Congrats on the sale.

I still remember selling my first car -- the '65 LandCruiser. It had been in our family for 12-13 years, and it was "given" to me for my 17th birthday. My brother and I drove it for about 4 years -- putting ~30k miles on it during that time (when I got it in '88, it had ~65k miles and we sold it in late '92 with 90-something). Most of the time we had it, we just did normal maintenance with the occasional repair (one of the drum brakes locked up one time -- I think a spring broke). But the last year we had it was just one repair after another.

The day before I sold it (with the ad set to run in the newspaper starting that day). I picked it up from they guy that serviced it. It was running perfectly. I knew then I had to sell!
Old 06-23-2021, 04:57 PM   #137
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Why would you worry about this on a car that you have insured?

I mean it would suck, for sure, but, so what? On the other side, you will have your money instead of the car. If there's any question about the car's value, you had an agreement in place on what it was worth which should be helpful.

There's stuff in life worth worrying about. I don't think this is one of them.
I mean, the problem with a situation like this is that an accident like that is unlikely to total the car, but it will also probably dramatically impact the value of the car. Just a kick in the ass to have it happen right before a sale, especially since presumably there was a reason you were trying to sell and bracing up for a weeks long battle to get the car fixed and then sold again may not be consistent with that need.

That's assuming that you had an insurance policy that would accommodate the higher value of the car based on the recent run-up in values. In theory, having a BaT auction in place should be enough to convince your insurance company of what the car is worth...but then again, I wouldn't count on that.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:13 PM   #138
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
I mean, the problem with a situation like this is that an accident like that is unlikely to total the car, but it will also probably dramatically impact the value of the car. Just a kick in the ass to have it happen right before a sale, especially since presumably there was a reason you were trying to sell and bracing up for a weeks long battle to get the car fixed and then sold again may not be consistent with that need.

That's assuming that you had an insurance policy that would accommodate the higher value of the car based on the recent run-up in values. In theory, having a BaT auction in place should be enough to convince your insurance company of what the car is worth...but then again, I wouldn't count on that.
All fair points, but I stand by my conclusion: There's stuff in life worth worrying about. I don't think this is one of them.

Before any of these things become an issue, first the car must get wrecked, which should be a low enough percentage chance that it's not worth worrying about. If it's high enough percentage, there are bigger problems to fix.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:13 PM   #139
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:

I am pretty sure an insurance company is not writing a check for $51k for that Integra, unless owner had a special agreed value policy.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:22 AM   #140
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
I am pretty sure an insurance company is not writing a check for $51k for that Integra, unless owner had a special agreed value policy.
Agree.

The kind of person who sells a car on BaT, and is willing to endure all the work and annoyance that goes along with that, is going to bigly care that their $51,000 ITR is no longer worth $51,000.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote