carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-19-2017, 09:26 PM   #11
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Just how much torque does that thing have? 6.7 is enormous for an I-6. Sounds awesome, also Laramie spec.

I have cooled seats in the Boxster, use them quite a bit. More than AC itself.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 11:42 PM   #12
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Glad you said something. If I ever make it out to another autox I would have been confused.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:33 AM   #13
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Just how much torque does that thing have? 6.7 is enormous for an I-6. Sounds awesome, also Laramie spec.

I have cooled seats in the Boxster, use them quite a bit. More than AC itself.
370hp / 800ft-lbs torque. Should that not be sufficient, once the thing is out of warranty (through 100,000 miles) I suppose I could put a programmer on it. Though if I played with anything I'd be inclined to make some changes to improve MPG. Sam says he gets around 16-17 towing a similar load to what I'll have at a similar speed, and around 20 highway unloaded. That may improve slightly as his just got a new particulate filter under warranty.

I didn't really want a truck this big and over-killy. I did a long tow earlier this year with a buddy's 1500 Ram Diesel (3.0L V6) and we got 17MPG. It certainly was up to the task, but it felt strained going up moderate hills. It also wasn't nearly as stable and solid when towing as the 3/4 ton, but it was much nicer to drive around without a load behind it than the 2500 is. The 1500 would probably have been a better fit for my use, but 1) you can't buy it and 2) The Cummins is a known bulletproof engine whereas the 3.0L FCA diesel is a big unknown.

Ford doesn't offer a small diesel, probably for the same reasons the 1500 Ram Diesel has been on government-mandated stop sale since January of this year - emissions cheating allegations. GM offers small diesels, but only in their sub-1/2-ton Colorado and Canyon, and it's an anemic 5-cylinder.

I did consider an F150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost V6 gasser. Friends that own them typically get around 13-14 MPG towing (on cheap regular gas) and you can get up to around 20 on the highway if you stick to the speed limit. But I really despise the Ford interiors from 2010-2015ish timeframe, very cheap and plasticky and I can't get comfortable in them. The gauges are cartoonish and the layout doesn't suit me. So Ford was out.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #14
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
...around 20 highway unloaded. That may improve slightly as his just got a new particulate filter under warranty.
Funny, my father also just got a new "filter" and averaged 20.9mpg on a round trip to the Eastern shore last weekend.

Quote:
I didn't really want a truck this big and over-killy.
Probably because I'm used to it, but whenever I go back and forth between them, it seems like my truck feels a lot smaller and lighter than the newer one.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:06 AM   #15
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Funny, my father also just got a new "filter" and averaged 20.9mpg on a round trip to the Eastern shore last weekend.

Probably because I'm used to it, but whenever I go back and forth between them, it seems like my truck feels a lot smaller and lighter than the newer one.
I really liked the way that the 1500 drove (I took it back and forth to work a couple times before leaving for Dixie in early March). Quiet, smooth, much more manageable and less trucky than my 2500HD, which I'd expect being more than ten years newer.

But towing, it wasn't quite what I wanted. You get used to the HD suspension and the load range E tires. You get used to the big brakes. And pulling a moderate grade at 70MPH the oil temp got up to 225F. I don't think that would make me comfortable about long-term reliability. Going up I-68 I can leave my truck in 3rd () and it'll hold 75MPH the whole way up with no strain. I imagine the Cummins will have no problem either.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:36 AM   #16
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
I imagine the Cummins will have no problem either.
Trailer? What trailer?
Old 06-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #17
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
this post shows displays the pragmatism and decisiveness that comes with maturity.

:-)

perhaps with the full context that we could trust an engineer to sketch out the issues and to solve the problem forthwith.

fun read, too.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #18
JST

Quote:
370hp / 800ft-lbs torque. Should that not be sufficient, once the thing is out of warranty (through 100,000 miles) I suppose I could put a programmer on it. Though if I played with anything I'd be inclined to make some changes to improve MPG. Sam says he gets around 16-17 towing a similar load to what I'll have at a similar speed, and around 20 highway unloaded. That may improve slightly as his just got a new particulate filter under warranty.

I didn't really want a truck this big and over-killy. I did a long tow earlier this year with a buddy's 1500 Ram Diesel (3.0L V6) and we got 17MPG. It certainly was up to the task, but it felt strained going up moderate hills. It also wasn't nearly as stable and solid when towing as the 3/4 ton, but it was much nicer to drive around without a load behind it than the 2500 is. The 1500 would probably have been a better fit for my use, but 1) you can't buy it and 2) The Cummins is a known bulletproof engine whereas the 3.0L FCA diesel is a big unknown.

Ford doesn't offer a small diesel, probably for the same reasons the 1500 Ram Diesel has been on government-mandated stop sale since January of this year - emissions cheating allegations. GM offers small diesels, but only in their sub-1/2-ton Colorado and Canyon, and it's an anemic 5-cylinder.

I did consider an F150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost V6 gasser. Friends that own them typically get around 13-14 MPG towing (on cheap regular gas) and you can get up to around 20 on the highway if you stick to the speed limit. But I really despise the Ford interiors from 2010-2015ish timeframe, very cheap and plasticky and I can't get comfortable in them. The gauges are cartoonish and the layout doesn't suit me. So Ford was out.

I didn't know about the FCA stop sale; that's interesting. You've probably heard that Ford plans an F-150 diesel, but I have to wonder whether that will ever actually come about.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #19
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Yes the FCA 3.0 v6 diesel may be "affected". Not only that, reliability has been mixed to bad. Imagine that, a first year Fiat product l. I read a bunch of diesel JGC reviews, you know, for my imagined SUV needs.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #20
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Congrats!