carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-25-2017, 03:44 PM   #21
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Not sure if the drive mode options are the same on ours. But we have Sport, Normal and Custom. The custom lets you toggle between sport and normal on individual setting items. We're using custom with everything set to sport except "engine noise" - which turns off the damn SoundAktor.
Does it turn it off? I think it just turns it down.

The R has Comfort, Normal, Race, and Custom. In the EU, you can individually adjust the level of the Soundaktor in the Custom setting, but here in the US it's just a binary "sport" or "normal" setting; there's some dispute about what this does to flaps in the R's exhaust, but it does appear to ramp up the Soundaktor in Sport.

Do the GTIs have the adjustable dampers? I keep those and the sound on "normal" and everything else on Sport. At their firmest setting the dampers are a little too harsh for the street, and you don't seem to give up much going to normal. Comfort is too squishy.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:01 PM   #22
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Some GTI's have adjustable suspension. Ours doesn't and pretty sure the Sport spec doesn't. The passive dampers are among the best I've driven in any vw/audi (helps that the car is light). So far I'm running 37f/35r pressures.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #23
TD
Founder emeritus

Ours does not have the adjustable dampers. And I can't seem to get a solid answer looking online as to whether the "engine sound" setting turns down or turns off the SoundAktor. But I can say in the "Normal" setting I have no complains.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:26 AM   #24
robg
Carmudgeon

Congrats! I have mixed feelings about this post though: as a 43 year old guy, I have conflicted feelings about wanting a GTI as my next car. The fact that you've bought one for your 17 year old doesn't help matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #25
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Congrats! I have mixed feelings about this post though: as a 43 year old guy, I have conflicted feelings about wanting a GTI as my next car. The fact that you've bought one for your 17 year old doesn't help matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At the same middle age, a wrx or foci I would be a bit worried but a GTI seems fine to me
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:38 PM   #26
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Nicely done.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:36 PM   #27
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I checked. Our (late) 2015 doesn't have different sound modes. It's either plugged in or not. We strangely prefer it on.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote