carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-30-2021, 10:42 AM   #111
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Just to add a footnote after 24 hours of torrential rain here in ATL (with more to come): I have renewed appreciation for having a vehicle with good road clearance...

...And the option to drive something else when I don't need to surmount road flooding.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:02 AM   #112
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Just to add a footnote after 24 hours of torrential rain here in ATL (with more to come): I have renewed appreciation for having a vehicle with good road clearance...

...And the option to drive something else when I don't need to surmount road flooding.
I can totally relate to all that rain, but I am back in the E39 after a 6-7 week hiatus. The X5 has seen rain maybe 3 times in 4.5 years, but expected at 64XX miles.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 03:00 PM   #113
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
I can totally relate to all that rain, but I am back in the E39 after a 6-7 week hiatus. The X5 has seen rain maybe 3 times in 4.5 years, but expected at 64XX miles.
I remember the days of not wanting to drive my car in the rain. I am so far past that now. I can even let my car sit dirty for a week. Not much more though. I used to “get mad” at the weather because my car was clean.

Man I do not miss that useless stress.

Now snow and salted roads are a different story but we only have to deal with rain here.
Old 12-30-2021, 04:48 PM   #114
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I remember the days of not wanting to drive my car in the rain. I am so far past that now. I can even let my car sit dirty for a week. Not much more though. I used to “get mad” at the weather because my car was clean.

Man I do not miss that useless stress.

Now snow and salted roads are a different story but we only have to deal with rain here.

It got driven in 3-4 hours of pouring rain returning from NC in Nov 2020. The problem I have is once it is extremely filthy it takes me 4+ hours to get the exterior back to where I want it. Car OCD is real…
Old 12-30-2021, 05:09 PM   #115
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
It got driven in 3-4 hours of pouring rain returning from NC in Nov 2020. The problem I have is once it is extremely filthy it takes me 4+ hours to get the exterior back to where I want it. Car OCD is real…
Ha! (You do not want to see my cars...)
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:53 PM   #116
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Ha! (You do not want to see my cars...)

The X5 has not been washed in a long time… it looks clean from 8-10 feet away. The 911 and the Z3 are clean and parked until Spring. The E39 is gross, but the interior is spotless and that is really all that matters for a daily.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:24 PM   #117
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
How?

I get putting in the time (I'm really astonished by how much more I'm enjoying it as I age), but if the car is well protected to begin with (quality coating or sealant on paint, protectant on other trim work, and a coating on the glass) even if the car has been driven through a lot of slop, it shouldn't take much more than a maintenance type wash to get it back to 100% (or wherever it should be in the coating/sealant lifetime).

Not suggesting you're doing anything wrong; I'm just not understanding why it takes so long...

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:36 PM   #118
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
How?

I get putting in the time (I'm really astonished by how much more I'm enjoying it as I age), but if the car is well protected to begin with (quality coating or sealant on paint, protectant on other trim work, and a coating on the glass) even if the car has been driven through a lot of slop, it shouldn't take much more than a maintenance type wash to get it back to 100% (or wherever it should be in the coating/sealant lifetime).

Not suggesting you're doing anything wrong; I'm just not understanding why it takes so long...

Perfection is not rushed… especially for someone that expects nothing but perfection when completing a task himself.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:14 PM   #119
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Perfection is not rushed… especially for someone that expects nothing but perfection when completing a task himself.
I wish you had answered the question, but it's totally your choice.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 01:38 AM   #120
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
You are set. There is something very comfortable about being in the BMW ecosystem. I’m probably projecting, having had BMWs for 20 years…

Drove the convertible last night, after a hiatus. (It’s in the 70s here). And it’s just so much better than the Mazda CX-5, which is not half bad, mind you. Although it may be just half as good…

The B58 in the small car is so buttery after driving the 4-cylinder SUV. Plus, of course, lower center of gravity and adaptive suspension.
I guess I’d love to know what that special something is?

The last two BMWs I owned were a 2009 E61 and a 2012 E92 M3. And I understood those cars. After them…..not so much. Are you guys talking about how they drive or the interior? Certainly not the styling.

lemming is online now   Reply With Quote