carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #91
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I like the kit, but not enough to pay for that much for it.
i meant that for (e)Q(u).

but yeah, i think the bumper isn't close to worth the money.

i like pepper white a lot, too.

co-worker just showed up at work with a PW MCS with temp tags. bastard gave me no warning. he was just speechless after driving my BRG MCS awhile back.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #92
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
i meant that for (e)Q(u).

but yeah, i think the bumper isn't close to worth the money.

i like pepper white a lot, too.

co-worker just showed up at work with a PW MCS with temp tags. bastard gave me no warning. he was just speechless after driving my BRG MCS awhile back.
If I actually drove to work, it would be near the top of my list. While my e90 is great on a long highway trip, at high speeds and in the winter (xi), it's a bit heavy & fussy to drive every day.

I think I've come around (beaten down?) to thinking of one as a good, fun, cheap-to-run commuter. I don't have a need for that, my gf does, and her honda is doing very well so nothing to do for a while. But after seeing a very artfully spec'ced one on Sunday (pepper white, center (not side!) hood stripe, carbon fiber intake etc), gf & I built one. With JCW tune, suspension, LSD, xenons, audio and a few other bits, it came to 27 and change. OF course, she'd go apeshit - though that's not her personality - if I went out and got one for myself. It would have to be hers.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #93
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
If I actually drove to work, it would be near the top of my list. While my e90 is great on a long highway trip, at high speeds and in the winter (xi), it's a bit heavy & fussy to drive every day.

I think I've come around (beaten down?) to thinking of one as a good, fun, cheap-to-run commuter. I don't have a need for that, my gf does, and her honda is doing very well so nothing to do for a while. But after seeing a very artfully spec'ced one on Sunday (pepper white, center (not side!) hood stripe, carbon fiber intake etc), gf & I built one. With JCW tune, suspension, LSD, xenons, audio and a few other bits, it came to 27 and change. OF course, she'd go apeshit - though that's not her personality - if I went out and got one for myself. It would have to be hers.
I think I've said it enough times here, but if it were up to me, I'd probably keep the ZHP. But it's nice that the MCS would make my wife as happy as I would be with an F-car, and that I won't feel emasculated and may actually have fun when driving it unlike her previous obsession: a powder-blue Beetle cabrio with a populated flower holder. That it's small, frugal, and still somewhat practical are all great features too.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:24 AM   #94
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I think I've said it enough times here, but if it were up to me, I'd probably keep the ZHP. But it's nice that the MCS would make my wife as happy as I would be with an F-car, and that I won't feel emasculated and may actually have fun when driving it unlike her previous obsession: a powder-blue Beetle cabrio with a populated flower holder. That it's small, frugal, and still somewhat practical are all great features too.
'Nando: car will be broken in sometime next week, i would guess.

i'm really digging it. there are little things about this car that the 07 didn't have and i'm enjoying it all.

there's stupid stuff like one touch up/down windows. using the key fob for opening all windows. the hi-fi sound, while not the cat's meow, was far better than the stock radio i was suffering with. the exhaust note is glorious. the ECU power delivery is smoother throughout the first 50% of the powerband.

if you go down to the SKIPper and meet up with 'Fil, you can see the BRG car. i think they would have prepped it by now for CPO sale.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #95
ff

Quote:
the hi-fi sound, while not the cat's meow, was far better than the stock radio i was suffering with.
The HK system that was available in '04 was actually pretty good.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #96
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:

i'm really digging it. there are little things about this car that the 07 didn't have and i'm enjoying it all.

there's stupid stuff like one touch up/down windows. using the key fob for opening all windows. the hi-fi sound, while not the cat's meow, was far better than the stock radio i was suffering with. the exhaust note is glorious. the ECU power delivery is smoother throughout the first 50% of the powerband.

if you go down to the SKIPper and meet up with 'Fil, you can see the BRG car. i think they would have prepped it by now for CPO sale.
It's interesting reading your thoughts regarding the JCW vs. non-JCW... I don't have any frame of reference for comparison. Do you think the bottom end is any softer in the JCW? That seems to be a point of debate on NAM.

When you say it's smoother through the first 50%, is that to say you could feel the turbo threshold more in the non-JCW? Lag, even?
Old 05-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #97
FC
Solving problems

Quote:

Cool! Look forward to it. I'll be in Newport, RI on 5/15-5/17, so I'm hoping to stop byy on the drive back on Saturday. Of course I'll have Mrs. FC and Mini-me, but we'll work out some test-drives (at least the stock MCS). May not be a bad thing to have Mini-me, since I could test accessability, etc.

Now you are making me think of the Hi-Fi sound and the Stage 1. With those options and other accessories, we will probably just hit $30K.

Last edited by FC; 05-02-2008 at 02:43 PM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #98
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
It's interesting reading your thoughts regarding the JCW vs. non-JCW... I don't have any frame of reference for comparison. Do you think the bottom end is any softer in the JCW? That seems to be a point of debate on NAM.

When you say it's smoother through the first 50%, is that to say you could feel the turbo threshold more in the non-JCW? Lag, even?
don't know how to best capture it succinctly (never my forte):

but in the stock ECU, the throttle mapping is a little ragged from 2000rpms thru 4000rpms where you hit the gas and there is a hesitation and you can almost feel the engine spinning its hamster flywheel to spool up.

in the stage 1 factory tune: the throttle mapping seems more linear so you don't feel that nagging little hesitation at ~3000rpms.

dunno about a softer low end. the engine spools faster so i don't feel the softer low end if it is true. of course, i haven't even been WOT yet since i'm at ~400 miles. the engine just starts to snarl at 4000rpms so i haven't heard the airbox induction noise (is there any?) or the exhaust @ WOT.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #99
FC
Solving problems

Yikes! And I'm missing labor on the JCW kit and clearbra.

My 2008 MINI Cooper S
Base MSRP* $21,200
Destination & Handling $650

paint
Laser Blue Body Color $500
White Roof/Mirrors $0
White Bonnet Stripes $100

package
Convenience Package $1,500
Comfort Access System
Universal Garage Door Opener
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror