carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-11-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Edmunds.com NY AutoShow news.

1. new Aura sedan (rebadged Opel) seems cool, hybrid variant in 07.

2. new GM/Ford 6spd automatic for FWD/AWD (read low torque capacity) drivetrains

3. 4 door Wrangler

4. new Saturn Outlook is a blatant Infiniti FX ripoff.

5. BMW M coupe < $50,000

6. Ford Mustang GT California poseur package.

i think the 4 door wrangler is really cool.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:57 PM   #2
lemming
Western Anomaly

oops. sorry, i meant the next gen Vue is a blatant FX ripoff.

but i'm really grooving on this:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../FREE/60214003

Old 04-11-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
iateyourcheese
Nerd

Carmudgeonly Ride: '87 M3, Subie FXT, Mazda CX-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
oops. sorry, i meant the next gen Vue is a blatant FX ripoff.

but i'm really grooving on this:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../FREE/60214003
You'd better hope Lupinsea doesn't see your post. I'm sure he's digging the Jeep Patriot, too.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...9004&Profile=0
Quote:
Jeep's Patriot taking brand further away from its off-road roots...
The Patriot shares a vehicle platform with the Compass and Dodge Caliber.
That must be some Jeep.
iateyourcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #4
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by iateyourcheese
You'd better hope Lupinsea doesn't see your post. I'm sure he's digging the Jeep Patriot, too.

That must be some Jeep.
Nothing is worse than that rediculous new Jeep Compass.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 09:21 PM   #5
lemming
Western Anomaly

yeah. well. i don't really like the compass because i'm already guessing that it's true entry level stuff and if any of you have been in the all-new grand cherokee, you will already know how chintzy that interior is --the compass can only be worse.

i would really groove on a diesel 4 door wrangler. it would just be a fun runabout for me.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:28 AM   #6
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming
Adding that extra wheelbase length should help when cresting a hill, and when hopping over the top of rocks and logs
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #7
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:

That must be some Jeep.
Oh, you wound me.

It actually hurts to see some of the moves Jeep is making. They've made their reputation for capable off-highway vehicles. It may be market forces or a recognition of actual usage but it's sad to see Jeep moving farther away from their off-road / utility heritage.

On another note the completely new for 2007 Wrangler is looking good. After looking over the specs, studying the photos and looking at pictres of the under carriage it looks like they are making it even more capable off-road than the previous 1997-2006 Wrangler. And the '97-06 Wranglers were some of the most capable off-road Jeeps built. The '07 Wranglers come with: Stronger axles, 100% stiffer frame, continued use of a seperate boxed steel ladder frame (no unibody!), continued use of solid front / rear axles, better clearances, removable fenders, more storage, beefed up transfer cases, plus a whole bunch of other off-road goodies.

Personally, I'd go for the 2 door short wheel base version as it'd be muuuuch more manuverable on the trails. But it's good to see a 4 door Wrangler. The thought of having a 4 door family hauler with front / rear solid axles (yes, they're desirable off-road) and a roof and doors that come off is very apealing. I can just see how good that sucker would look with a 4" lift and 33-35" tires.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:03 PM   #8
iateyourcheese
Nerd

Carmudgeonly Ride: '87 M3, Subie FXT, Mazda CX-9
I remember when Chrysler took over Jeep from AMC and everyone signaled the end to their offroad prowess. Maybe I'm jumping the gun like I did back then, but a Jeep that shares a platform with the Caliber is silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea
Oh, you wound me.

It actually hurts to see some of the moves Jeep is making. They've made their reputation for capable off-highway vehicles. It may be market forces or a recognition of actual usage but it's sad to see Jeep moving farther away from their off-road / utility heritage.

On another note the completely new for 2007 Wrangler is looking good. After looking over the specs, studying the photos and looking at pictres of the under carriage it looks like they are making it even more capable off-road than the previous 1997-2006 Wrangler. And the '97-06 Wranglers were some of the most capable off-road Jeeps built. The '07 Wranglers come with: Stronger axles, 100% stiffer frame, continued use of a seperate boxed steel ladder frame (no unibody!), continued use of solid front / rear axles, better clearances, removable fenders, more storage, beefed up transfer cases, plus a whole bunch of other off-road goodies.

Personally, I'd go for the 2 door short wheel base version as it'd be muuuuch more manuverable on the trails. But it's good to see a 4 door Wrangler. The thought of having a 4 door family hauler with front / rear solid axles (yes, they're desirable off-road) and a roof and doors that come off is very apealing. I can just see how good that sucker would look with a 4" lift and 33-35" tires.
iateyourcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:30 PM   #9
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:
I remember when Chrysler took over Jeep from AMC and everyone signaled the end to their offroad prowess. Maybe I'm jumping the gun like I did back then, but a Jeep that shares a platform with the Caliber is silly.
I agree with you. I think it is ridiculous. . . but then everyone was crying end of the world when the TJ ('97-'06 wrangler) came out with coils spirngs and a comfier ride. Turns out it was a fundamentally better offroad suspension that made a huge difference in trail prowess vs. the previous leaf sprung Jeeps.

So, I don't want to jump the gun and just knee-jerk reject it (similar reaction to the new Toyota FJ), but what I'm seeing isn't good. If I remember reading, Jeep is developing one or two "entry level" RAV4 / CRV type vehicles for their line up. Which I think will be structured this way:

Compass / Patriot - entry level CRV / RAV4 type vehicles, basically a more rugged econo box.

Liberty - step up for a more robust vehicle that's a bit bigger and offers good on-road handling yet isn't too big.

Grand Cherokee - You know where this fits in. More of a luxo cruiser that has Jeep's top end traction control systems and interior finishes.

Commander - BUFF of a SUV going after H3 / H2 sales (I think)

Wrangler - Jeep's hard core fun machine. A focused off-road package available with HD axles, beefed up transfercases, hose-out interior, lockers, low gearing and big tires with a convertible top, fold down windsheild, and removable doors. The vehicle type Enzo Ferrari once called "America's true sports car." (is that a compliment or a snub?)

Now, whether this line-up makes sense time will tell. But there seems to be a greater dillution of the core Jeep essentials. Evan the old XJ's (regular Cherokees) did very well offroad (better than the Liberties that replaced them).
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:13 PM   #10
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea
I agree with you. I think it is ridiculous. . . but then everyone was crying end of the world when the TJ ('97-'06 wrangler) came out with coils spirngs and a comfier ride. Turns out it was a fundamentally better offroad suspension that made a huge difference in trail prowess vs. the previous leaf sprung Jeeps.

So, I don't want to jump the gun and just knee-jerk reject it (similar reaction to the new Toyota FJ), but what I'm seeing isn't good. If I remember reading, Jeep is developing one or two "entry level" RAV4 / CRV type vehicles for their line up. Which I think will be structured this way:

Compass / Patriot - entry level CRV / RAV4 type vehicles, basically a more rugged econo box.

Liberty - step up for a more robust vehicle that's a bit bigger and offers good on-road handling yet isn't too big.

Grand Cherokee - You know where this fits in. More of a luxo cruiser that has Jeep's top end traction control systems and interior finishes.

Commander - BUFF of a SUV going after H3 / H2 sales (I think)

Wrangler - Jeep's hard core fun machine. A focused off-road package available with HD axles, beefed up transfercases, hose-out interior, lockers, low gearing and big tires with a convertible top, fold down windsheild, and removable doors. The vehicle type Enzo Ferrari once called "America's true sports car." (is that a compliment or a snub?)

Now, whether this line-up makes sense time will tell. But there seems to be a greater dillution of the core Jeep essentials. Evan the old XJ's (regular Cherokees) did very well offroad (better than the Liberties that replaced them).
i just want the extended wheelbase 4 door wrangler for my own selfish needs.