carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-20-2022, 11:28 AM   #2131
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Your Mazda, in particular? Or those Mazdas, in general?
2.5T engines produced within a certain window of time, although, the TSB could be expanded to widen the number of affected models. Currently there is no fix, other than to replace the entire engine.

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/2-th...-cx-9-or-cx-30
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:35 AM   #2132
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
It’s been great. Daughter has been driving fully licensed for a year now, son turns 16 next month and is on schedule to get his license the week of his birthday. Now I just have to buy a car for him
Different kind of experience with each of them or pretty similar? Was totally different with my kids. They had different levels of enthusiasm, different motivations, different understandings/appreciations for the activity before starting, different concerns, etc. Both took direction very well and each developed different component skills at different rates compared to each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Going well. Still in learners permit stage, working on learning to use the clutch and so on. She’s got it 90 percent down; hills are still a challenge but that will come with practice.
My younger one's first drives were with a stick, but then was slushie only until we got the E46. A little more parking lot instruction that went so-so. Then I went away for a week and when I got back, she was fully competent (e46 clutch vagueness and steep hill combinations not withstanding).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
My son has been driving with one of us parents since last August. He's done a classroom driving program, behind-the-wheel hours, and now the family driving. He's decent, although a bit overconfident, IMO. And I am a total stressball as a passenger, but that's also kind of my nature.
Both of my kids told me multiple times that they felt much more comfortable driving with me in the car than their mother. She let her nerves and stress show which made it much more difficult for our kids. No matter how scared or concerned I was, the kids only saw calm. Firm at times, but always calm. My wife...stomping on her imaginary brake pedal all the time, body motions, using her "I'm stressed as fuck" voice for nearly every instruction, etc, was not quite as helpful towards enabling them to learn effectively.

Quote:
Plus, I have just learned the turbo engine in the Mazda has a fatal flaw. So I am also wrestling with what to do about that.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:36 AM   #2133
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
2.5T engines produced within a certain window of time, although, the TSB could be expanded to widen the number of affected models. Currently there is no fix, other than to replace the entire engine.

There goes Mazda‘s recently acquired number two spot on Consumer Reports. No clue how, but BMW was at number three with Lexus at number five.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AA13E827-3B0F-43F4-A7B9-B106B7E7B138.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	445.6 KB
ID:	14322  
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:42 AM   #2134
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

Both of my kids told me multiple times that they felt much more comfortable driving with me in the car than their mother. She let her nerves and stress show which made it much more difficult for our kids. No matter how scared or concerned I was, the kids only saw calm. Firm at times, but always calm. My wife...stomping on her imaginary brake pedal all the time, body motions, using her "I'm stressed as fuck" voice for nearly every instruction, etc, was not quite as helpful towards enabling them to learn effectively.

Yep. That's me. Although no brake stomping. But, I definitely convey that stress edge. I'm sure my ex is better with all of that than I am.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:43 AM   #2135
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
There goes Mazda‘s recently acquired number two spot on Consumer Reports. No clue how, but BMW was at number three with Lexus at number five.
Yep. Looks like they've shot themselves in the foot.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:44 AM   #2136
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:

That's a horribly written article. But from what it says, Mazda acknowledges some engines are consuming oil. They suspect it could be a vale stem/seal issue, but aren't sure.

Is your engine currently consuming oil? If not, you don't have a problem. If it starts consuming oil, or currently you have something to be concerned about, but not necessarily a problem.

Give it some time before you worry about it.

edit- The Outback we had consumed oil unlike any 2005+ car I've ever been aware of. Check oil/monitor oil level idiot light and add when necessary. Subaru acknowledged it was an issue, but couldn't figure out why. If you had receipts for extra oil purchases, they reimbursed you up to some point, but that was it. Not really a thing other than a super-minor occasional annoyance.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:54 AM   #2137
SCA
Jaded

Ugh oil consumption…You guys should see how much oil a N63TU consumes at/around the 100k mark. A full quart every 10-12 days. The “Hot V” turbos seep and begin to fail as well.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:55 AM   #2138
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
That's a horribly written article. But from what it says, Mazda acknowledges some engines are consuming oil. They suspect it could be a vale stem/seal issue, but aren't sure.

Is your engine currently consuming oil? If not, you don't have a problem. If it starts consuming oil, or currently you have something to be concerned about, but not necessarily a problem.

Right. My car is very low mileage because I work from home. Apparently the problem starts to manifest at around 5,000 miles. At my annual oil change, it was only 2,800. That was in November. They put in 5-6 quarts of new oil then. Then I did the Florida run and the car is just under 5k miles now.

The dipstick (yes, it has a dipstick!) shows oil at the halfway mark, and that has me suspicious. Has it used up half the oil in 2,000 miles of driving?

I swung by the dealer yesterday and picked up two quarts to keep on hand. I will monitor it closely and see. That is my stopgap for now.

Apparently dealers will top you off for free and perform an oil change when you are closer to the change interval for free, but both dealers are easily 30 miles from me roundtrip, so that is not a longterm solution if it really starts gobbling up oil.

And, presumably, it is just postponing the inevitable.

If this problem is truly inherent in all those models with that engine and results in a recall, that's very big deal amid ongoing supply and shipping constraints. Not to mention the dealer time/capacity to perform the recall.
Old 02-20-2022, 11:56 AM   #2139
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:

edit- The Outback we had consumed oil unlike any 2005+ car I've ever been aware of. Check oil/monitor oil level idiot light and add when necessary. Subaru acknowledged it was an issue, but couldn't figure out why. If you had receipts for extra oil purchases, they reimbursed you up to some point, but that was it. Not really a thing other than a super-minor occasional annoyance.

+1

I wouldn’t overreact to this just yet. How long is Mazda’s warranty and have they said anything about this issue other than the tech bulletin?
Old 02-20-2022, 11:56 AM   #2140
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Ugh oil consumption…You guys should see how much oil a N63TU consumes at/around the 100k mark. A full quart every 10-12 days. The “Hot V” turbos seep and begin to fail as well.
And hasn't Audi had oil consumption issues for years?