carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-24-2020, 01:09 PM   #91
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
VA's order should still permit retail car sales to operate. As non-essential businesses, they are restricted but closure is not mandated.

Whether any of them actually still are operating is a different question.
Since the transaction would ideally take place in the first parking lot across the state line, no worries about the 10 person limit. Reading stuff on their Facebook page and a FB group, it sounds like they were still doing everything where they could as of early Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
This is quite likely, but it doesn't hurt to try with a 16.5 to 17k offer. You'll get a car one way or another and at a deal... Let the investor funded online wunder-company take the hit.
Yeah, nothing to lose for me. Last grasp at cliff fell. If it works out, awesome! If I take a hit, so be it. I should have done this last week.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #92
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
VA's order should still permit retail car sales to operate. As non-essential businesses, they are restricted but closure is not mandated.

Whether any of them actually still are operating is a different question.
After a steady stream of dealer emails the past week saying "we're open," I just got one from a MD Chevy dealer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criswell Chevrolet
As of this morning we have seen clarification from the State of Maryland that Auto dealerships are allowed to be open for business for both SALES and SERVICE.

Health and safety are our priority. Our staff is continually reminded of social distancing standards and the recommended sanitizing procedure from the CDC.

If your vehicle needs service attention or you need to purchase a vehicle, we recommend you call our sales and service department to arrange for your visit to be as smooth and expedient as possible. Our professionals will get as much of the information necessary before your visit. We are minimizing staff in order to limit exposure to both our team members and customers.
Dunno if the clarification means that sales can happen where service operations continue or something else. Not sure how or if it applies to Carvana. And I haven't heard from them all day

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-25-2020, 09:52 PM   #93
clyde
Chief title editor

No update update.

In my account, my car is listed and the page for it shows a process chart of sorts.

Step 1 is accept offer and shows as "accepted offer"

Step 2 is "verify ownership" and requires you to upload some docs. I did that Monday night and it changed to "we need 1-2 business days for review and then we'll contact you about next steps.

Step 3 is "Get paid - tell us how you want to get paid"

Step 4 is "Schedule appointment"

Late last night, I got an email with the subject "Still need more time?" and inside a prompt to accept the offer I had already accepted. There was also a big box with text along the lines of "if you already accepted the offer and uploaded your documents, you can turn off this reminder."

48-ish hours and 2 full business days later, Step 2 still says what it said when my docs were first updated. No more emails today (so far). When I went to look at the webpage with the offer/deal(?) there was a box at the top of the page that said:
"COVID-19 Update
Operational changes to keep customers and employees safe have impacted vehicle purchasing. We are still accepting trade-ins with purchase, but have temporarily paused all other purchases of vehicles from customers."
It was already 9:00 EDT, which is when their customer service phone line closes for the night and their chat looks like a chatbot, so I sent an email asking we'll still be able to complete the transaction when we get to the other side. No automated response.

My hopes of concluding this transaction at the offered price is low, but not completely washed out. There's more than one reason that could be why they suspended non-trade purchases (market is haywire, preserving capital, lower staff/contractor availability, etc), but it's totally unclear about where that leaves my deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I should have posted earlier, but my buddy tried to Carvana his boxster on Friday of last week. Had the offer accepted, all the paperwork done and then found out that (in PA at least) they were barred from doing transactions due to being non-essential. His offer was put on hold and I believe was said to be valid up to the point they are allowed to pick it up.

Did you confirm they are able to come and get it?
Josh, has your friend had any updates? I can see it being more likely his deal happens than mine, but can just as easily see either or both being voided.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-25-2020, 10:04 PM   #94
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Step 2 is "verify ownership" and requires you to upload some docs. I did that Monday night and it changed to "we need 1-2 business days for review and then we'll contact you about next steps.
As I was writing that post, the Step 2"we need 1-2 business days..."

to

"We have saved your documents. If you’re ready to trade in, you can browse our cars."

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-26-2020, 08:26 AM   #95
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
As I was writing that post, the Step 2"we need 1-2 business days..."

to

"We have saved your documents. If you’re ready to trade in, you can browse our cars."

This really sounds like mental torture... can’t you just call them on the phone ?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:26 AM   #96
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
No update update.

Josh, has your friend had any updates? I can see it being more likely his deal happens than mine, but can just as easily see either or both being voided.
I just texted him and asked. I'll post what I hear.

Edit: "Got an email this morning basically saying offer retracted and transaction cancelled" - "Do to everythign going on we don't feel we can make a fair offer on any vehichle"
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:20 AM   #97
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This really sounds like mental torture... can’t you just call them on the phone ?
Quote:
It was already 9:00 EDT, which is when their customer service phone line closes for the night
"mental torture" are not words I would use.

Mostly, it's kicking myself for not acting earlier when I knew I should have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I just texted him and asked. I'll post what I hear.

Edit: "Got an email this morning basically saying offer retracted and transaction cancelled" - "Do to everythign going on we don't feel we can make a fair offer on any vehichle"
I got the same or a similar email this morning, too. The relevant portion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carvana
At this time, it is in the best interest of our customers that we temporarily pause buying any vehicles, unless it's a trade-in as part of a purchase on the site.

As a result of the above, we regret to inform you that we won't be able to approve your documents at this time.

We plan to review this decision again in the coming weeks and hope we'll be able to buy your used car at some point in the near future. But at the present moment, we are unable to make offers that we believe are fair while delivering a great customer experience along the way.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-26-2020, 01:39 PM   #98
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Unfortunately, that makes sound business sense.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:53 PM   #99
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
In the coming months, this might be more common:

https://www.swapalease.com/mobile/le...?salid=1323712

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:31 PM   #100
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
"mental torture" are not words I would use.

Mostly, it's kicking myself for not acting earlier when I knew I should have.:
I didn’t mean the mental torture is you doing it to yourself ... I meant this mental torture is them doing it to you.

These emails to you are not right, one minute they might be buying the accepted offer, the next email they might not.

I almost want to call them myself and say hey ... stop messing with my buddy Clyde are you buying his car or not.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote