carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-20-2016, 09:55 AM   #1541
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Ignoring the sketchy "black box" logging/data sharing issue - the plan to look at how autopilot and human actions differ in an accident will be pretty neat to see.
Yeah, this is actually a pretty solid proposal. Coming up with the record evidence to allow any sort of risk-based regulation of these technologies is a huge trick; this will go a long way toward providing the info that NHTSA needs to decide how best to regulate these things going forward.

I still have no interest in a car that drives itself, which to me is like a self-licking ice cream cone. But I know I'm in the minority.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #1542
dan
redefined

Quote:
I still have no interest in a car that drives itself, which to me is like a self-licking ice cream cone. But I know I'm in the minority.
Isn't it more like going to a restaurant to eat food that's been cooked for you
Old 10-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #1543
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by undefined View Post
Isn't it more like going to a restaurant to eat food that's been cooked for you
No. Because I don't care so much about the eating. I like the cooking.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #1544
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yeah, this is actually a pretty solid proposal. Coming up with the record evidence to allow any sort of risk-based regulation of these technologies is a huge trick; this will go a long way toward providing the info that NHTSA needs to decide how best to regulate these things going forward.

I'm growing to accept that there are many, many, people who need to be relieved of their driving duties. In that sense, I'm okay with it. Though, it totally defeats the purpose when you still have to pay attention and have a hand near the wheel at all times.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #1545
ff

Quote:
I'm growing to accept that there are many, many, people who need to be relieved of their driving duties. In that sense, I'm okay with it
Ditto. I also wouldn't mind reducing the owned fleet down to 1. Less car payment, less insurance payment, less fuel/maintenance, less depreciation, less liability exposure, smaller garages.

My biggest concern with self-driving cars, isn't the self driving cars. It's all the knuckleheads still not in self-driving cars.

Quote:
Though, it totally defeats the purpose when you still have to pay attention and have a hand near the wheel at all times.
Baby steps. For a while I stubbornly resisted all the lane departure type nannies finding their way into cars these days. Then I realized that it's basically the beta version of the systems that will be used in self-driving cars. Testing out the waters, slowly.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:20 AM   #1546
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
Ditto. I also wouldn't mind reducing the owned fleet down to 1. Less car payment, less insurance payment, less fuel/maintenance, less depreciation, less liability exposure, smaller garages.

My biggest concern with self-driving cars, isn't the self driving cars. It's all the knuckleheads still not in self-driving cars.

Baby steps. For a while I stubbornly resisted all the lane departure type nannies finding their way into cars these days. Then I realized that it's basically the beta version of the systems that will be used in self-driving cars. Testing out the waters, slowly.
Over-reliance still concerns me with those features. The blind-spot detectors don't do a great job of anticipating closing speed when being overtaken for instance.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #1547
ff

Quote:
Over-reliance still concerns me with those features.
That's the reason why I loathed the nannies (more so at first). It seems like they'd invite people to pay even less attention to the road. Not sure if that's reality, but...
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #1548
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Tesla posted a demonstration video of the full self driving:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/188105076

Also, here's their updated autopilot page with descriptions of the types of automation it has (both "enhanced autopilot" and "full self-driving".)

https://www.tesla.com/autopilot
Old 10-20-2016, 02:06 PM   #1549
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I noticed that you mentioned this in your for sale thread over at TMC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST over at TMC
Only selling because I have another one inbound.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #1550
JST

Those two statements are not inconsistent.