carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Pinecone
Carmudgeon

BMW Museum Munich

I am doing a rest stop in Munich today. So I headed over to the BMW-Welt and Museum.

I was surprised how many people were there, seemingly as tourists. Interesting delivery area, it is on an upper level, with each vehicle presented on a turntable. Then you drive around the outside of the area and down a ramp to leave. The whole process is under the gaze on any interested watchers.

Museum was VERY good. Lots of cars, bikes,and engines. It seems to cover up to about 2008. 3 series display had up to an E46. And with the M Power section. M3 CSL there.

But you would think BMW could get info on their own cars correct. They have a section call Chronology. It has this huge table that the info is prjected down on, with some sensors, to make the whole thing sort of touch based. So I touch on the Z3, and they show me pictures of 2006 model Z3s. Hmm, last Z3 was 2002 model. And then a picture of a 1995 M Roadster. That has a Z front fascia, Z gills, and Z mirrors. And BTW they M was first produced for 1998 model year.

I did like the display on lightness, and them talking about the newer (but not the brand new ones) that were somewhat pigs (E46 and E90/92).

I have a bunch of pics, but need to shrink them before I upload them. Well worth an afternoon if you are in Munich. Factory tours are only weekdays, but it sounded like the plant was operating.

Oh, and there is a 3 Euro discount for being a BMW car club member. The sign says you have to have your card, but I asked and was given the discount.
1995 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
1990 Red/White Spec Racer
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I need to get back to Munich. Haven't been there since '01 well before the Welt was there (and I liked the old museum that was torn down to make room for the Welt...)