carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-18-2017, 01:03 AM   #241
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
No problem -

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:02 PM   #242
clyde
Chief title editor

I don't think it's a walk the walk vs talk the talk kind of thing. Anyone that digs cars should be knocked out by either even though not reasonable car people might refuse to consider one or the other for no reason. The differentiation for me is the value for the money. The least expensive 911 starts over $90k and you're past $150k before you're sitting in one that's interesting. A ZL1 tops out about $72k. As much as I might enjoy a 911, I don't think I could ever be persuaded that any current 911 is twice the car or worth twice the money (potential resale and actual cost to own determined at a future date notwithstanding).

But whatever.

I don't like white cars.

http://www.porterchevy.com/VehicleDe...59898383#close

Wonder if it will still be available once I have a roof...

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #243
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I don't think it's a walk the walk vs talk the talk kind of thing. Anyone that digs cars should be knocked out by either even though not reasonable car people might refuse to consider one or the other for no reason. The differentiation for me is the value for the money. The least expensive 911 starts over $90k and you're past $150k before you're sitting in one that's interesting. A ZL1 tops out about $72k. As much as I might enjoy a 911, I don't think I could ever be persuaded that any current 911 is twice the car or worth twice the money (potential resale and actual cost to own determined at a future date notwithstanding).

But whatever.

I don't like white cars.

http://www.porterchevy.com/VehicleDe...59898383#close

Wonder if it will still be available once I have a roof...
The Camaro holds no appeal for me, partly for unreasonable, parochial reasons, partly because I just don't like the look, and partly because the interior really rubs me the wrong way.

I'll freely concede the Camaro is the faster car. But if you gave me the choice between a brand new or almost new Camaro ZLFASA@!!!#R$ or whatever and whatever used 911 the same amount of money could buy, I'd pick the 911 every time.

Part of that is that I just hate Camaros. But another part of the is the realization that almost any recent 911 has more than enough performance to keep me entertained on the street, and so the added performance of the Camaro is really just good for bench racing and winning Internet fights (but, you know what they say about fighting on the Internet).
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #244
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
I really really want to like the mustang. I never did before this latest iteration. I think it has, well at least looks so online, reached a level of refinement I can deal with. The interior has gotten leaps and bounds better with nice interfaces (Digital dash) and nice seats (Optional Recaro's). Only some bad hard plastics remain on parts of the doors if you get the premium interior upgrade.

I also like the exterior styling of the 2018 and the newly available options. (Magnaride on the GT esp) And 460hp is plenty for any US roads.

Buying one though means massive depreciation as soon as you drive off the lot.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #245
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I really really want to like the mustang. I never did before this latest iteration. I think it has, well at least looks so online, reached a level of refinement I can deal with. The interior has gotten leaps and bounds better with nice interfaces (Digital dash) and nice seats (Optional Recaro's). Only some bad hard plastics remain on parts of the doors if you get the premium interior upgrade.

I also like the exterior styling of the 2018 and the newly available options. (Magnaride on the GT esp) And 460hp is plenty for any US roads.

Buying one though means massive depreciation as soon as you drive off the lot.
The 2018 Mustang interior ups the soft touch plastic quotient.

Certain specs for the 2018 that matter to me (gearing primarily)still aren't available and they could change my plans. I am sure a Mustang would be easier to live with.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:20 PM   #246
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Anyone that digs cars should be knocked out by either even though not reasonable car people might refuse to consider one or the other for no reason. The differentiation for me is the value for the money.
Like JST, for similar but not entirely identical reasons, I disagree. I think I'm reasonably reasonable and I never considered a Camaro. I was closer to Mustangs but never seriously considered one either, though I occasionally entertain the thought.

Unlike JST, I don't hate how the Camaro looks. In fact, I like it.

I might hate it if I owned it. I like sports cars that I can drive every day. The 911 and m3 win that regard. Even the cayman and the boxster if you are willing to go with two seats. The visibility of the Camaro is awful. I live in a tight hundred year old area. The footprint of the Camaro is large, the interior space, while bigger than a 911 is not as good as an m3, even an e46 m3 (which has decent room for two adults in the back and a decent trunk with a folding expansion). These factors matter to me.

I have a feeling Camaros are better built. My rental Mustang was not impressive. But Mustangs have better visibility. So that would make it of interest. Secondly the high-revving engine of the GT350 would be of interest, but once again I get into footprint issues. I can't justify a sports car that takes as much or more room than my 535i.

Value: In the end, porsches have not cost me all that much to own. They have good resale and good reliability. But my use case may be very different from your (more competition) oriented use case.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:02 AM   #247
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

FWIW, I've always liked Camaros. It was the first muscle car I REALLY liked, even more than Mustangs, GTOs, Chevelles, Chargers, etc.

That said, when I drove this, not too long ago, I was pretty impressed, and have often wondered what it would be like to drive the high-performance version.

Fast forward a few years, and I find myself sitting in a Camaro ZL-1 with a manual transmission in the Reno Auto Show. I pushed the clutch in and rowed through the gears, its buttery-smooth action and short throws impressed me. A sign in the front stating "650 hp" left me wondering what it would be like to drive this beast.

I always vowed that if I ever hit the lottery, this would be the first car I'd buy.

Then the Porsche 911 second.

2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Last edited by 3LOU5; 09-19-2017 at 02:03 AM. Reason: edit
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:08 AM   #248
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
You really need the green color if you go Camaro! I finally saw one in the flesh over the weekend, and you really notice it from blocks away...

M2?
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:30 AM   #249
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
You really need the green color if you go Camaro! I finally saw one in the flesh over the weekend, and you really notice it from blocks away...

M2?
M2 for sure. I love my 240. I can only imagine how much better the M2 is. If hadn't wanted a convertible, the M2 would have been my choice.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:31 AM   #250
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
M2 is a lot more money. He could buy an scca "spec twin", a trailer, and a truck.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote