carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-22-2024, 04:51 PM   #5981
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Here’s my update —
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73525160272__69B9B874-8C26-41A5-A0DD-E7CDCA3755A0.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	17157  

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 08:12 AM   #5982
SCA
Jaded

Below is a 992.2 GT3 test mule. All the proof we need that the analog tachometer is being replaced for a full LCD screen like the Taycan and Cayenne.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7932.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	661.9 KB
ID:	17159  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7933.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	609.3 KB
ID:	17160  

Last edited by SCA; 04-23-2024 at 08:38 AM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 10:39 AM   #5983
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Below is a 992.2 GT3 test mule. All the proof we need that the analog tachometer is being replaced for a full LCD screen like the Taycan and Cayenne.
The bad news? That shit won’t age well. And who knows about the longevity of what is basically a giant LCD screen. I’m nothing thinking long given the elements and UV exposure of a car.

The good news? Hope it helps Porsche save some money. So they can justify keeping the GT3 around for a little longer.

When I sit in the new Taycan or Cayenne at the dealer, my first thought is “holy shit why would I spend this much money and not get a 911?”. After that though, i love both.

Now. Does that translate to a sports car? I don’t know dude.

Old 04-24-2024, 11:28 AM   #5984
robg
Carmudgeon

Dial 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
The bad news? That shit won’t age well. And who knows about the longevity of what is basically a giant LCD screen. I’m nothing thinking long given the elements and UV exposure of a car.

The good news? Hope it helps Porsche save some money. So they can justify keeping the GT3 around for a little longer.

When I sit in the new Taycan or Cayenne at the dealer, my first thought is “holy shit why would I spend this much money and not get a 911?”. After that though, i love both.

Now. Does that translate to a sports car? I don’t know dude.

2 very different use cases though. If you need 4 doors and a usable backseat the 911 won’t be under consideration.

After driving an EV for a few months now I’m actually not sure that I’d choose any modern turbo automatic vehicle (including a regular pdk 911) over an EV. At the very least I need a good manual to make it worth it to go with an ICE car and ideally a good sounding NA motor too. It’s all about the experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 11:35 AM   #5985
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
2 very different use cases though. If you need 4 doors and a usable backseat the 911 won’t be under consideration.

After driving an EV for a few months now I’m actually not sure that I’d choose any modern turbo automatic vehicle (including a regular pdk 911) over an EV. At the very least I need a good manual to make it worth it to go with an ICE car and ideally an NA motor too. It’s all about the experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That comment resonates with me. I get it. It’s just shocking how expensive the Taycan Turbo GT ($200k) or Cayenne GT (200k) can be.

For perspective, there’s a 500mile Carrera T that is asking $158k and a 992 GT3RS asking $475k at the dealer. I guess it can be all relative.

Old 04-24-2024, 04:06 PM   #5986
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
That's probably the most annoying thing about the LCI F90. The digital gauges suck. At least the HUD in Sport mode is half decent.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 07:16 PM   #5987
SCA
Jaded

I was at my dealer today and showed the two above photos to my SA whom had not seen them yet. I told him a lot of guys appear to be bent out of shape about losing the analog tach on Rennlist and he replied, “oh well they’ll get over it… just like they got over the 911 going from air cooled to water cooled.”

FYI, Anyone looking for a 992.1 GTS Cab allocation? My dealer has got one that freezes on May 7 so it is still modifiable.

Last edited by SCA; 04-24-2024 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:29 PM   #5988
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
I was at my dealer today and showed the two above photos to my SA whom had not seen them yet. I told him a lot of guys appear to be bent out of shape about losing the analog tach on Rennlist and he replied, “oh well they’ll get over it… just like they got over the 911 going from air cooled to water cooled.”

FYI, Anyone looking for a 992.1 GTS Cab allocation? My dealer has got one that freezes on May 7 so it is still modifiable.
It’s funny. At what point do you find the sweet spot of analog versus digital? I love my 2022 4, because—although it’s still an automatic—it has a physical shifter and IDrive 7, with redundant buttons. It gives you maximum flexibility of using buttons, touchscreen, voice control, etc.

It may not be optimized for the future, but it is a wonderful neutral zone between the past and the future.

The car misses some COVID-era features (passenger lumbar/memory seats), but has everything else before BMW started decontenting the series, as they often do as the model years progress.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 07:51 PM   #5989
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
It’s funny. At what point do you find the sweet spot of analog versus digital? I love my 2022 4, because—although it’s still an automatic—it has a physical shifter and IDrive 7, with redundant buttons. It gives you maximum flexibility of using buttons, touchscreen, voice control, etc.

It may not be optimized for the future, but it is a wonderful neutral zone between the past and the future.

The car misses some COVID-era features (passenger lumbar/memory seats), but has everything else before BMW started decontenting the series, as they often do as the model years progress.

I like the analog tach, but I also greatly prefer an analog watches, more specifically Rolex, but what is usually on my wrist? An Apple Watch because I am extremely health-conscious. The full LCD screen will be more configurable than the two smaller screens on either side of the analog tach and as long as the 992.2 is not royally screwed up via mild hybrid and a manual is still offered for the non-GT cars, I am confident that the majority will not care that the analog tach is dead. The rumored suspension updates alone will put that matter to rest quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
That comment resonates with me. I get it. It’s just shocking how expensive the Taycan Turbo GT ($200k) or Cayenne GT (200k) can be.

For perspective, there’s a 500mile Carrera T that is asking $158k and a 992 GT3RS asking $475k at the dealer. I guess it can be all relative.

My dealer is sitting on a preowned 2023 Carrera T with 2,900 miles and are essentially asking $150k for it. MSRP new was $123.5k.

I saw an S/T on the Porsche Finder last night night and I would assume that it has an ADM similar to the MSRP.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7947.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	17166  

Last edited by SCA; 04-24-2024 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:39 PM   #5990
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
I like the analog tach, but I also greatly prefer an analog watches, more specifically Rolex, but what is usually on my wrist? An Apple Watch because I am extremely health-conscious. The full LCD screen will be more configurable than the two smaller screens on either side of the analog tach and as long as the 992.2 is not screwed with in a mild hybrid kind of way and a manual is still offered for the non-GT cars, I am confident that the majority will not care that the analog tach is dead. The rumored suspension updates alone will put that matter to rest quickly.

My dealer is sitting on a preowned 2023 Carrera T with 2,900 miles and are essentially asking $150k for it. MSRP new was $123.5k.

I saw an S/T on the Porsche Finder last night night and I would assume that it has an ADM similar to the MSRP.
Nice find!

Are you hearing something like the 992.2 T might one of the few 911s with a manual?