carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-18-2016, 05:18 PM   #31
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
can I ask a related question?

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/200...e-carrera-4-s/

how does this happen? this is way too much money.

i thought BaT was more value-based buying?

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:19 PM   #32
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post

wow, that is a lot of money. And I thought the turbo selling for $45k was pretty good
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:23 PM   #33
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post

It's an auction site, so it all depends on who's watching the screen as the seconds tick down. You can get weird aberrations in any auction.

But, yeah--that's too much money for a fairly common 12 year old car with mileage that isn't that low. Maybe the bubble is starting to inflate under 996s, IMS and all?

EDIT:

"Being cautious, he flat-bedded the car to ROCS Auto for installation of the LN Engineering retro-fit kit; while there, the rear main seal, clutch, pressure plate and flywheel were also replaced. As it turned out, the seller said, the IMS bearing was fine. Photos taken by the shop while the work was being done are shown in the photo gallery. (Underbody views will be added once they are received.)"

Also. Is there any real evidence that the LN kit has a lower failure rate than the stock part? I get the theoretical reasons why it should work better, but I don't have a huge amount of faith that they've actually built a better mouse trap.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:45 AM   #34
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It's an auction site, so it all depends on who's watching the screen as the seconds tick down. You can get weird aberrations in any auction.

But, yeah--that's too much money for a fairly common 12 year old car with mileage that isn't that low. Maybe the bubble is starting to inflate under 996s, IMS and all?

EDIT:

"Being cautious, he flat-bedded the car to ROCS Auto for installation of the LN Engineering retro-fit kit; while there, the rear main seal, clutch, pressure plate and flywheel were also replaced. As it turned out, the seller said, the IMS bearing was fine. Photos taken by the shop while the work was being done are shown in the photo gallery. (Underbody views will be added once they are received.)"

Also. Is there any real evidence that the LN kit has a lower failure rate than the stock part? I get the theoretical reasons why it should work better, but I don't have a huge amount of faith that they've actually built a better mouse trap.
I watched this video and they said the Porsche bearing was sealed vs the new one is open so get lubed by engine oil

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dndanlFmcW8
Old 03-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #35
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

And lemming there is another 4s on bat going for a much more reasonable 20k,see how much is it closes at
Old 03-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #36
JST

I understand the theory behind the LN bearing (to the extent that a liberal arts guy can). I just wonder how that theory works in practice. How much validation testing did they do?

Probably it works fine. Does it materially reduce the risk of the bearing failing? I guess? But the sample size of cars with failed bearings is already small (3-5 percent?). The number of cars that have had the LN bearing is even smaller.

All I'm really saying is that this whole thing is shrouded in hysteria and mixed motives. Porsche doesn't want you to know how big a problem there is. LN naturally benefits if you think the problem is enormous. no one, afaik, with an unbiased perspective has any visibility into the full scope of the problem.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:12 PM   #37
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
In casually shopping used cars from the generations in question, I've seen many advertising engine replacements. Enough that I'm convinced the oe setup is scary.

As far as 4s pricing, I've also noticed that they command a significant premium.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:29 PM   #38
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I understand the theory behind the LN bearing (to the extent that a liberal arts guy can). I just wonder how that theory works in practice. How much validation testing did they do?

Probably it works fine. Does it materially reduce the risk of the bearing failing? I guess? But the sample size of cars with failed bearings is already small (3-5 percent?). The number of cars that have had the LN bearing is even smaller.

All I'm really saying is that this whole thing is shrouded in hysteria and mixed motives. Porsche doesn't want you to know how big a problem there is. LN naturally benefits if you think the problem is enormous. no one, afaik, with an unbiased perspective has any visibility into the full scope of the problem.
When my orig IMS bearing came out, it was fine and the ball bearings were in great shape. But I figured this since my car was driven and had normal oil changes.

Now I just treat it like I do any German water pump: it's a wear item.

The pricing in the 20s makes more sense to me.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:36 PM   #39
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lip277 View Post

Just thinking. That's all.
Yep, nice
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #40
bren