carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Keepin' it local

Old 06-18-2007, 12:31 PM   #21
JST

Heard about that on the news today. Insane that they put officers in that position just to raise revenue.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:48 PM   #22
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

That's really sad news. One can interpret the story in a number of ways, but it looks to me like one county's hunger to gain speeding revenue has now caused the death of a good man and the years-long psychological trauma of a young woman who was guilty of something that all of us do.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:48 PM   #23
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rautox View Post
I think anyone who's watched those guys wander into oncoming traffic to pull people over saw this coming... unfortunately. Wow.
Yup. Doesn't surprise me one bit.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #24
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rautox View Post
I came along a few minutes later. I saw the car had strange damage for a car-car collision. Now, it's obvious what took out the bumper and hood. And I think anyone who's watched those guys wander into oncoming traffic to pull people over saw this coming... unfortunately. Wow.
I've started to see officers do that more and more around here. The other day (I was driving the wife and dog so I wasn't speeding), with the blinding sun in my face, two officers were on foot under the shade of a tree on a 35mph zone (one with he gun, the other presumably for flagging people down) right on the edge of the road. I just could not see them. I suddenly see flag officer just move around and that is when I finally noticed them at all. I instinctively swerved away from the motion and got a dirty look from the officer through my RVM.

WTF. I can easily see some distracted person in a large vehicle clipping one of them, or worse. That really is a dumbass thing to do. Law enforcement procedures need to be overhauled. Boston is still dealing with a case of a fleeing car running into a taxi cab killing the driver, a male passenger just back from Iraq, and leaving gf of passenger with severe brain and other injuries. All because the officer was chasing the suspect through a 25mph, crowded neighborhood over a minor traffic violation.

That really pisses me off. Yes runaway driver is a dick, but really, you couldn't mail the ticket, or whatever? It's really not worth it to do stupid shit like that.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:57 PM   #25
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Tragic. The poor guy was just doing his job - yet how reckless of HoCo to put him in this position. Maybe they will rethink how they pull people over for speeding now.

(This is common practice all over MD - it's not unique to HoCo).
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:01 PM   #26
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Tragic. The poor guy was just doing his job - yet how reckless of HoCo to put him in this position. Maybe they will rethink how they pull people over for speeding now.

(This is common practice all over MD - it's not unique to HoCo).
I'm not saying it isn't, but I've never seen it done quite as brazenly in Montgomery Co. They stand along the edge of the road and point. But they don't physically block your path.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:13 PM   #27
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Just get a photo-radar van...
Old 06-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #28
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Just get a photo-radar van...
Ho Co would never do that as those vans use radar, which will provide adequate warning to those with radar detectors. Nope, Ho Co is a slave to it's LIDAR.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #29
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
Ho Co would never do that as those vans use radar, which will provide adequate warning to those with radar detectors. Nope, Ho Co is a slave to it's LIDAR.
From your linked story:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTOP
Wheeler was standing in the road to flag down cars that other officers using radar flagged for a traffic infraction.
Regardless, photo radar is an entirely different ball game. In just about every implementation in the US, photo radar is managed and paid for by contractors that are paid with a cut of the income generated. There's no downside to the municipality to do it this way. For every radar detecting user, there are how many hundreds of speeders without one?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:47 PM   #30
TD
Founder emeritus

I am actually inclined to suspect the radar reference was an error or oversimplification in the story. Ho Co NEVER uses radar.

I wonder if they were using the cherry picker again.