carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-28-2020, 11:26 PM   #681
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I'm trying really hard not to get emotionally attached to the one at the Alfa dealership. We are playing the negotiating game right now and I'm trying to be sure I can be ok walking away if it comes to that, but the more I study it the more I like it.
Anything warranty related I'd take to the dealer, but anything off cycle I have a good Indy Porsche shop right across the street from my wife's work.
I would probably pass on a warranty and take my chances. Everything ive ready suggests 991.2s are pretty bullet proof. Famous last words, right....

And @equ LCA is lane change assist / blind spot monitor. Supposedly nice to have for a 'vert when the top is up.
@Alan. All 991.2 have pasm. They also have an spasm option with lowers the car 2mm. This one has pasm
\

LCA is a must have, IMO.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:50 AM   #682
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
\

LCA is a must have, IMO.
While I think it is a must have option I don’t have it on either Porsche, it wasn’t an option on the 991 when I bought it and the Cayman being used I had no choice.

I also think reverse cameras are a must have and miss it on my 991 ... again what is with Porsche not offering it back then but the big picture is you can live without these options and when buying used if the right car comes along you need to be open to not having every option you want.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:57 AM   #683
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
While I think it is a must have option I don’t have it on either Porsche, it wasn’t an option on the 991 when I bought it and the Cayman being used I had no choice.

I also think reverse cameras are a must have and miss it on my 991 ... again what is with Porsche not offering it back then but the big picture is you can live without these options and when buying used if the right car comes along you need to be open to not having every option you want.
This.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #684
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:

Ha yeah that is pretty crazy they didn’t offer a backup camera. Now that I think about it I wonder where they hide the camera on the current 911s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:03 AM   #685
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:

Aren't those rear camera's mandatory?
Old 02-29-2020, 11:45 AM   #686
JST

They are now, yes. I think 2018 might have been first year of mandate?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:01 PM   #687
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I do have a solution for the Porsche rear camera situation. It's called Pearl RearVision... It's a plate frame/camera (rechargeable), with locking bolts, a vent magnet to hold your phone, an app for your phone and a plug into your OBDII. All this together means no wiring or splicing... I used it in my previous condo garage, at my current house I hardly need it. One negative is that if your car doesn't get sun ever, the rear plate doesn't charge and will need occasional removal for USB charging. Second negative is that there is some delay from when you start things off to when you get the image (your phone has to get on the wi-fi transmitted from the OBDII plug - which also gets the reverse signal). So all in, not as slick as OEM, but not terrible.

It was definitely a high end solution. Not sure if they are still in business after it got mandated (though the app still works and I think still supported).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ9Z2HQioR0
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:22 PM   #688
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I do have a solution for the Porsche rear camera situation. It's called Pearl RearVision... It's a plate frame/camera (rechargeable), with locking bolts, a vent magnet to hold your phone, an app for your phone and a plug into your OBDII. All this together means no wiring or splicing... I used it in my previous condo garage, at my current house I hardly need it. One negative is that if your car doesn't get sun ever, the rear plate doesn't charge and will need occasional removal for USB charging. Second negative is that there is some delay from when you start things off to when you get the image (your phone has to get on the wi-fi transmitted from the OBDII plug - which also gets the reverse signal). So all in, not as slick as OEM, but not terrible.

It was definitely a high end solution. Not sure if they are still in business after it got mandated (though the app still works and I think still supported).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ9Z2HQioR0
$300?

Yeah, that's kind of pricey. And having something that bulky permanently plugged into the OBD-II port is not a realistic option in a lot of cars. And if your phone has to connect to the dongle's WiFi, don't you lose your cell data connection?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #689
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
We went to the local dealership today. They had a 2019 GT Silver of Espresso Cab (C4S PDK so not for me) on the lot that we were able to spend some time with. The color combo in person is really nice, even better than in pictures. Cari (my wife) really liked it. I fit well in 18 ways, no issues with them being too tight. 14 ways were fine too.

As an FYI, the trunk space in the 991s varies little between the 2wd and 4wd cars. The salesman siad there was a much bigger difference on earlier 911s.

Also, for anyone considering a lease... 57% residual after 39 months and a 0.028 MF LOL...
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:45 PM   #690
Alan
Carmudgeon

Josh ... here are the full specs on that car

https://vinanalytics.com

Division: PCNA
Commission #: B54157

Prod Month: 2017-03-25
VIN: WP0CA2A97HS142588
Price: $125,305.00
Exterior: GT Silver Metallic
Interior: Natural Leather Interior in Espresso

BASE 911 Carrera Cabriolet
176 Sport Exhaust System
446 Wheel center caps with colored Porsche Crest
460 20" RS Spyder Design Wheels
489 Multifunction and Heated Steering Wheel
498 Deletion of Model Designation
998 Natural Leather Interior
9VL Bose® Surround Sound System
NE Natural Leather Interior in Espresso
P07 Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package
P3G Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
U2 GT Silver Metallic
XUB Headlight Cleaning System Covers in Exterior Color
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote