carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-01-2016, 09:16 AM   #1
Alan
Carmudgeon

Want a new car, get a 4 cylinder or you could always get ... a 4 cylinder

Biggest news from the auto show is like the title says .... You could get a 4 cylinder or a 4 cylinder ...

Times are changing, it is used to be the high end model was the 8 cylinder engine but that is being replaced by the 6 cylinder engine if you're lucky and they even offer one .... basically premium prices are now going to the 6's and the glimpse of the future from what I am seeing is that the 4 cylinder will be the engine that will be in the popular model.

The most disappointing news from the auto show was the E class base model will now be the E300 4 cylinder turbo with 241 hp ... The E base model always came with a 6 cylinder with the outgoing model having 302hp

The new C class coupe is coming with the same 4 cylinder engine

The new Audi A4 is only a 4 cylinder ... I know it's been like this for a while but come on I was hoping for a 340i fighter to come to the rescue ... Yes I know the S4 will be but that is the rare premium model which is vey limited.

Sheesh .. Buick came out with a pretty cool little convertible and it comes with a 1.6 liter 4 cylinder engine ... I think my snowblower has more horsepower.

How do we go from such extremes where cars went from 300+ hp to all of a sudden 200+

This is just a glimpse of the future ... The funny thing is 3 of my 4 cars are 8 cylinders ... You know this will be changing ... By next year I'd be surprised if I have even one 8 cylinder.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #2
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
It's all Tesla's fault....well, them and whatever marketing genius convinced people that turbos are the answer to everything.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #3
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
It's all Tesla's fault.
What's a "cylinder?"
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:22 AM   #4
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
What's a "cylinder?"
The thing responsible for the glorious noises you are missing out on.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
The thing responsible for the glorious noises you are missing out on.
Lmao ... Exactly
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:41 AM   #6
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Turbo fours have become the "answer" for increasing fuel mileage and lowering emissions.

I don't mind - the new twin-turbo four, aside from a gruff idle, powered the 328i loaner I drove last week, with a smooth and solid delivery - coupled to the new 8 speed auto, it's actually quite nice to drive. Contrast its power (240hp plus???) with my first e46 straight six, which only delivered 170 HP (even though lighter at around 3200 lbs), and there's little to complain about.

For most drivers of these cars today, this standard combination seems befitting - decent mileage, power, smoothness - the new F30's are AWD Accord alternatives in many cases, so why not.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #7
JST

Quote:
glorious noises
You clearly haven't driven a BMW four cylinder recently.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #8
bren
lawn boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
You clearly haven't driven a BMW four cylinder recently.
I haven't driven a four cylinder since 1994.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #9
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Turbo fours have become the "answer" for increasing fuel mileage and lowering emissions.

I don't mind - the new twin-turbo four, aside from a gruff idle, powered the 328i loaner I drove last week, with a smooth and solid delivery - coupled to the new 8 speed auto, it's actually quite nice to drive. Contrast its power (240hp plus???) with my first e46 straight six, which only delivered 170 HP (even though lighter at around 3200 lbs), and there's little to complain about.

For most drivers of these cars today, this standard combination seems befitting - decent mileage, power, smoothness - the new F30's are AWD Accord alternatives in many cases, so why not.
single turbo btw, bmw uses the same confusing twin power for a dual scroll turbo
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:14 AM   #10
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post

I really hate the new BMW fours, almost as much as I hate the 8 speed auto.