carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #141
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
Wow. So it would economically make sense, if not gastronomically, for a Tesla owner to have dinner several nights a week at a highway service area.
If I were to go that route, I'd bring a picnic.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #142
JST

The biggest challenge, even with an expanded Supercharger network, is going to be the B roads. For example, looking at the touring that I do from time to time, I'd have no problem getting to NYC (charging once in suburban NJ would be trickier, though I assume that will be addressed). I assume that the Supercharger network will eventually build out along I-80/90, too, so I'd probably be able to get to Cleveland eventually.

But someplace like Luray, VA? I could get there, but without an overnight stay I'd have no way to get back. And a place like the Greenbrier or Homestead would be out, as well, and seem unlikely to get Superchargers en route.

The other issue, as Teslas become more popular, is availability, particularly on heavy travel days.

But the Supercharger system is probably Tesla's best idea--better, even, than the car itself. Building out a proprietary charging standard will be a huge competitive advantage for them, and may ultimately be something you could license to other companies, providing a steady revenue stream. You can imagine Tesla eventually making more money from licensing (and subscription fees, if it went that route) than it does from making cars.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #143
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

I think there's also the high probability that a few of these Superchargers will be down at any given time. It's still a great idea, for sure, but the infrastructure will need to grow even further before it's practical for mission-critical travel.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #144
JST

According to Tirerack, the Model S uses the same 5x120 bolt pattern that BMW does. Wonder what the center bore is?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #145
JST

http://www.teslamotors.com/about/pre...ient-free-long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla

With the accelerated rollout of the Tesla Supercharger network, Model S drivers can expect:

Triple the number of Tesla Supercharger stations by the end of next month, including additional stations in California, coverage of the northwest region from Vancouver to Seattle to Portland, Austin to Dallas in Texas, Illinois and Colorado. There will also be four additional eastern seaboard stations, expanding the density of the network to provide for more convenient stopping points.

Within six months the Tesla Supercharger network will connect most of the major metro areas in the US and Canada, including expansion into Arizona, additional stations in Texas, Florida, and the Midwest, stations connecting Ottawa to Montreal, and across North and South Carolina into Georgia. It will also be possible to travel diagonally across the country from Los Angeles to New York using only the Tesla Supercharger network.

A year from now, the Tesla Supercharger network will stretch across the continent, covering almost the entire population of the US and Canada. The expansion of the network will mean that Model S drivers can take the ultimate road trip -- whether that’s LA to New York, Vancouver to San Diego, or Montreal to Miami – without spending a cent on fuel.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #146
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

So what color are you getting?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #147
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Received an email from Tesla this morning... They've released my car for shipment and the local delivery person will contact me to coordinate the delivery. Earliest date is now June 5. So looks like I'll need to rent a car for Mon-Wed next week in order to get to work...

As for Superchargers -- AZ is now on the list for within 6 months -- fantastic. And for the B-roads, Tesla is already working on those in CA (adding the 101 between LA and SF)...

Edit: Here's the link to Tesla's map... There is a slider to see where they are adding and when... http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

I can now turn this thread over to JST for his waffling...
Old 05-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #148
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

According to the list, there is a pair of Superchargers within 30-40 minutes of my place. I'm tempted to go there and hang out for a few hours, if that didn't just seem completely weird and creepy.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #149
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
According to Tirerack, the Model S uses the same 5x120 bolt pattern that BMW does. Wonder what the center bore is?
HRE can tell you:

bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:29 PM   #150
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
cool map in which you can see the current location and expansion

http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote