carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2023, 03:27 PM   #31
Josh (PA)
Hello.
 
Josh (PA)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 5,402
If you want the most visceral (realistic) option how about this:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-lotus-exige-26/
__________________
Josh (PA) -
'19 X5
'17 991.2 C2 Cab
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 01:14 PM   #32
lemming
Western Anomaly
 
lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Posts: 16,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
If you want the most visceral (realistic) option how about this:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-lotus-exige-26/
Iíve been gotten into the modern Lotus aesthetic.

The cars seem well engineered, but for the powerplants they use, when reduced to practice, my heart votes for an ND2 Miata.

I think the power plants let them (Lotus) down, to be honest. The modern 911 is meh in terms of power plant. Itís sufficient, but itís not otherworldly. Very efficient though. But what makes a GTx or Turbo is the powerplant.

I never get that sense of awe from a Lotus.
__________________


lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 06:50 AM   #33
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire
 
3LOU5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 3,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
it’s been a hot minute, so let’s set the table and then ask the question.

2018 Carrera T
2018 GT3
2024 GT3

It is not rational, but my preference is to keep 3.

But when challenged by logic, I don’t know how it makes sense. I can see better the logic to keep the last of the narrow bodied 911’s (911 T) plus a GT3. I could also go into bean counter mode and say, keep both GT3s, and the first gen Carrera T is ‘meh’ now that there is a 2nd gen Carrera T.

But all three isn’t logically defensible.

Any thoughts or opinions? I would love to know.
Geezus, must be nice to have such "problems".

Get rid of the 2018 GT3 and get some American muscle, like a Corvette ZR1, Shelby GT500 or Dodge Demon.

You already have enough Porsches, LOL.
__________________
2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
2002 BMW 325i - his
1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Last edited by 3LOU5; 06-27-2023 at 06:55 AM. Reason: edit
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 12:59 PM   #34
lemming
Western Anomaly
 
lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Posts: 16,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
Geezus, must be nice to have such "problems".

Get rid of the 2018 GT3 and get some American muscle, like a Corvette ZR1, Shelby GT500 or Dodge Demon.

You already have enough Porsches, LOL.
Hey Lou. How have you been? Yes. I am the antithesis of Warren Buffet. Cars are my indulgence. And I work so I can drive what I want. Itís probably not close to the average car experience in America. And I get that.

Yeah. I am looking at last Camaro. ZR1 wait list. That manual Aston Martin. And the manual R8. Youíre right. Too many Porsches.
__________________


lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 02:37 PM   #35
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire
 
3LOU5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 3,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Hey Lou. How have you been? Yes. I am the antithesis of Warren Buffet. Cars are my indulgence. And I work so I can drive what I want. Itís probably not close to the average car experience in America. And I get that.

Yeah. I am looking at last Camaro. ZR1 wait list. That manual Aston Martin. And the manual R8. Youíre right. Too many Porsches.
Doing great, thanks. Just haven't been around as much.

If I *did* offend you in any way, please forgive me. You can certainly spend your money however way you want. Hell, if I was pulling in the kind of money you are, I'd probably purchase a bunch of high-end cars as well, LOL.

But, unlike you, I'd probably only have one Porsche. Included in my fantasy stable would be something from Italy. American muscle like a 'Vette or Shelby GT500 (I'd even settle for the old school Shelby 427 Cobra) would be represented as well.

I just think I'd get bored with one make, and would like to experience different driving pleasures depending on my mood.

Maybe that's why I have such varied cars ....
__________________
2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
2002 BMW 325i - his
1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 03:39 PM   #36
Jeff_DML
Old Fart
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Location: San Diego
Posts: 8,458
RS6 Avant would be nice to add to the stable

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/06/27/...-avant-review/
Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 04:11 PM   #37
lemming
Western Anomaly
 
lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Posts: 16,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
Doing great, thanks. Just haven't been around as much.

If I *did* offend you in any way, please forgive me. You can certainly spend your money however way you want. Hell, if I was pulling in the kind of money you are, I'd probably purchase a bunch of high-end cars as well, LOL.

But, unlike you, I'd probably only have one Porsche. Included in my fantasy stable would be something from Italy. American muscle like a 'Vette or Shelby GT500 (I'd even settle for the old school Shelby 427 Cobra) would be represented as well.

I just think I'd get bored with one make, and would like to experience different driving pleasures depending on my mood.

Maybe that's why I have such varied cars ....
No offense taken, brother. Just letting you know Iím one of us guys. Not one of those social media hype beasts.

I know what you mean. I was looking at your signature and itís probably good to expand horizons. I did do this for the past 30+ years. Iíve had probably close to 50 different vehicles and Porsche is not without warts but itís about as satisfied as I have ever been.

Stuff pisses me off about their designs and the cost of things. But for a modern car, itís as close as I have come to engaging driver.

I am often leery of the more bespoke car marques because itís not like suits where imperfections are good. Mistakes on these boutique cars seems expensive and frustrating especially when you consider waiting on parts, which seems to dominate the McLaren experience.
__________________


lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 03:21 AM   #38
robg
Carmudgeon
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
RS6 Avant would be nice to add to the stable



https://www.autoblog.com/2023/06/27/...-avant-review/


Iíd love one of those as wellÖbut definitely not a sports car experience


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums © 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC