carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-22-2020, 03:51 PM   #161
Nick M3
Relic

Marginally higher engine bay temperatures don't really have a meaningful impact on the running temperature of the engine, since it's cooled by the radiator.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:37 PM   #162
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Marginally higher engine bay temperatures don't really have a meaningful impact on the running temperature of the engine, since it's cooled by the radiator.

But let me extend your thinking: turbo is pushing superheated air at some point. Which rapidly reduces power.

Or would you say an NA engine faces the same issue of hot air intake?

My experience with turbo engines says they’re affected by heat soak more so than NA engines

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:56 PM   #163
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
But let me extend your thinking: turbo is pushing superheated air at some point. Which rapidly reduces power.

My experience with turbo engines says they’re affected by heat soak more so than NA engines
yeah plus you have extra coolers to package, ie, intercoolor, which could interfere with the radiator, i..e wrangler
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:03 PM   #164
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:

Eh. I think the real issue is that dinky turbo engines tend to have the cooling of a dinky engine. Can't ever get away with a dinky radiator on a big engine.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:16 PM   #165
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Eh. I think the real issue is that dinky turbo engines tend to have the cooling of a dinky engine. Can't ever get away with a dinky radiator on a big engine.
Lol.

Oh boy. This made me laugh so hard.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:59 PM   #166
JST

Quote:
I mean, unless you're swapping an SBC into a Land Cruiser.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:07 AM   #167
kognito
older fart than ZBB

I wonder what the weight difference is between a turbo 4 and a big honking V8?

In off roading, weight is rarely your friend. But, I have also experienced the explosion of a wagoneer radiator on trail. scared the crap out of 3 of us. Lupinsea had to drag the wounded wagoneer a good part of the way out of the woods and back into cellphone coverage area
Old 07-23-2020, 09:21 AM   #168
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
I wonder what the weight difference is between a turbo 4 and a big honking V8?

In off roading, weight is rarely your friend. But, I have also experienced the explosion of a wagoneer radiator on trail. scared the crap out of 3 of us. Lupinsea had to drag the wounded wagoneer a good part of the way out of the woods and back into cellphone coverage area
I can't find a good weight on the Ecoboost, but the Ford Performance site gives a weight of 445 lbs for the Coyote V8.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:50 AM   #169
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:

The air isn't "superheated." The air out of the turbo is hot, but it's immediately cooled down to near-ambient by an aftercooler.

The issue is when, as Nick points out, the cooling system isn't sufficient to extract all the heat, whether due to insufficient airflow through the various radiators. This isn't unique to turbocharged engines.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:04 AM   #170
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
The air isn't "superheated." The air out of the turbo is hot, but it's immediately cooled down to near-ambient by an aftercooler.

The issue is when, as Nick points out, the cooling system isn't sufficient to extract all the heat, whether due to insufficient airflow through the various radiators. This isn't unique to turbocharged engines.

But you don’t think the normal engine heat plus a hot turbocharger is any worse per cubic foot of metal than an NA engine?

I don’t know the difference. I don’t have a laser thermometer so I couldn’t do the measurement.

And do you think a turbo in this high load low speed operation would have the same heat soak power reduction as an NA engine or more or less?

The reason I’m asking is because under severe hot weather with AC on, any four cylinder turbo feels like the small displacement engine it is —I.e. turbo advantage seems neutralized.

Whereas I haven’t run into this with bigger displacement NA engines under the same conditions. It’s all subjective but if you had more objective thoughts that would be fun to read.