carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-11-2020, 09:41 AM   #21
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Are today's used prices consistent with what they were in January? Right now is a really weird time in the used car market. If we consider January "normal," wholesale used prices are up about 20% overall from normal. I haven't been paying attention to Porsche pricing through this, so I don't know how they fall in comparison to the general market.

By next spring/summer, used car values may have returned to normal as well. Maybe if you can prep yourself today to spend $50k, when the time actually comes, a $44k price is going to be a lot easier to mentally swallow?
Interesting points. The used market does seem pretty screwy right now. And production on new cars is ramping back up, so the shortages may abate and prices of everything may normalize or soften.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:06 AM   #22
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
There is tremendous activity in the motorcycle market. I had no trouble selling two bikes. But then again it wasn't too hard (or expensive) to buy two bikes to replace them. Not sure about the car world as I find it harder and harder to enjoy cars where and how I live.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:28 AM   #23
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I would (and am) willing to consider a 987.2 but a few things hold me back:

- I had one (987.1) and had it over a decade ago. To go back to one after all this time somehow feels weird.
- The discount over 981 is nowhere near what it should be, IMO.
- The 981 looks better is much more modern and that ups the likelihood that I'll keep it for a long time.

But to the extent that I am looking for fun first and speed 2nd, maybe I should be more willing to get a late 987.2S.
My rambling wasn't trying to suggest you buy another 987 (though they are insanely good value I think) but rather that it seems odd to have the M3 *and* a 981S. I get that the M3 has seating for four. But you have the Land Rover if you need to play the family truckster role, yeah?

My issue with the M3 is it doesn't know what it wants to be. It's no longer an analog machine that exists for the joy of driving. It's turned into an executive express, devoid of feel, kind of like a big twin turbo V8 Merc. I feel like if that's what you're into, Mercedes just does it a lot better.

Yes, I still have my Boxster. It's creeping up on 80,000 miles, I just spent like ten hours doing a thorough detail and ceramic coating on it and kind of keep falling in love with it every time I drive it. I agree with all of equ's points on the 981. It's objectively a better car but it's just somehow less enjoyable to me. Maybe one of the high output versions would change my mind? For $100k or whatever they cost, I'll never know.

I think at this point in my life I'm more interested in building the cars I want to drive rather than buying new expensive stuff that I'll look at every day as delaying my retirement . If I were in FC's shoes I'd sell the M3 and replace it with a GTI - more fun and less stressful to own, and pick up a well-cared-for 987.2S to replace the Miata.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:57 AM   #24
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
I’m sad and happy to be one of the few folks here in a single car situation. I need one car to do everything and not always need repair. While I’d love to own more then one I don't have the space nor do I want to afford it. I’ll live that fantasy through you all.

Be that as it may I agree with JV. The GTI is a great car. My friend has a manual mark 7.5. I like it a lot.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #25
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I don't think I'd want to go from M3+Miata to GTI+Boxster. I know my wife would not allow it. Things don't always make sense. But I do like the M3, I have an attachment to it and so does the whole family. I rather stay with what I've got until I don't feel guilty about adding the Boxster.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #26
dan
redefined

Quote:
I don't think I'd want to go from M3+Miata to GTI+Boxster. I know my wife would not allow it.
what does that mean
Old 08-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #27
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
what does that mean
I'm not familiar with the whole wife + having to ask permission thing.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:40 AM   #28
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
I don't think I'd want to go from M3+Miata to GTI+Boxster. I know my wife would not allow it. Things don't always make sense. But I do like the M3, I have an attachment to it and so does the whole family. I rather stay with what I've got until I don't feel guilty about adding the Boxster.
Totally makes sense. I think you’ve answered your own question then. Our work is done here. Lol
Old 08-11-2020, 12:22 PM   #29
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Totally makes sense. I think you’ve answered your own question then. Our work is done here. Lol
LOL

For the record, I only asked for help find a car.

But of course, being myself, always happy to deliberate and entertain options and alternatives.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:23 PM   #30
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
what does that mean
She would be pissed that after all that convincing to get the M3 I end up selling it after a couple of years.

But that doesn't matter since I would not want to do it either.