carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #71
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Yeah, that’s a good point. Thanks m in no rush. Maybe I should just wait at least until spring and see how things shake out.
I wouldn’t say “wait” either.

It’s more like, “Am I actually thinking about buying this just because I want something now? Do I really want this specific car? Am I happy with this car at this price today? Am I going to be okay with probably taking a larger than normally-to-be-expected hit if I sell it in 2-5 years?”

At least those are the questions I’m asking myself this morning as I try talking myself into going to see a car that will cost more than I really want to pay, but may be a bargain given what the cars cost today...and who knows for how much longer.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #72
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I wouldn’t say “wait” either.

It’s more like, “Am I actually thinking about buying this just because I want something now? Do I really want this specific car? Am I happy with this car at this price today? Am I going to be okay with probably taking a larger than normally-to-be-expected hit if I sell it in 2-5 years?”

At least those are the questions I’m asking myself this morning as I try talking myself into going to see a car that will cost more than I really want to pay, but may be a bargain given what the cars cost today...and who knows for how much longer.
I agree with that. Meaning, I'm open to a great deal or perhaps paying a "bubble premium" if a hard-to-find spec comes along.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #73
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
I get all the points about bubble premium, don’t pay too much for a car you’ll regret buying and you’ll lose your $$ on.... And let’s say this dealer is a slimeball. All that being said, if this car is checked out by a Porsche dealer and gets a relatively clean bill of health, it feels to me like a steal at $18,500. I have been casually looking and don’t see any cars that recent in that price range. Am I missing something? Now if it comes back with a $10k list of repairs needed after PPI or significant undisclosed baggage (accidents, etc) that changes things. But in my mind that seems like the only variable here?
Old 09-26-2020, 10:53 AM   #74
JST

Agree with Sarafil. There’s no bubble on this 987.2; the only question is whether it has defects that account for the price.

Honestly given that FC has a garage and a lift (?), I’d buy it even if it has some needs. Do a Spyder suspension swap, too.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:47 AM   #75
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
I get all the points about bubble premium, don’t pay too much for a car you’ll regret buying and you’ll lose your $$ on.... And let’s say this dealer is a slimeball. All that being said, if this car is checked out by a Porsche dealer and gets a relatively clean bill of health, it feels to me like a steal at $18,500. I have been casually looking and don’t see any cars that recent in that price range. Am I missing something? Now if it comes back with a $10k list of repairs needed after PPI or significant undisclosed baggage (accidents, etc) that changes things. But in my mind that seems like the only variable here?
I don’t disagree with any of this. Wrongly priced cars happen. I missed two different used 1LEs earlier this year (by a single day bothe times) being sold by non-GM dealers that didn’t know the cars were 1LE (or that the package was legit $6k+ add to an SS).

I don’t know enough about the cars and their pricing to have a clue on the specifics, but thought I was picking up a too good to be true vibe in some of the comments. That combined with what looks in the pics like a marginally rough interior that is often tightly associated with real issues and lack of straightforward info, I thought it was worth taking a step back and looking at in context with where the broader car market is and what purpose FC is trying to serve with the purchase.

It could very well be the right car and rethinking for a moment in that context may even make that conclusion more clear. I think.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:51 PM   #76
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Agree with Sarafil. There’s no bubble on this 987.2; the only question is whether it has defects that account for the price.

Honestly given that FC has a garage and a lift (?), I’d buy it even if it has some needs. Do a Spyder suspension swap, too.
Yes, I do have a lift. And I’d be happy to work the car if I had to. I’m not sweating it needing brakes or struts being old, etc. Even a worn clutch would not bother me too much. I’m more concerned about hearing of internal engine troubles, signs of flooding, electrical gremlins, a totally f’d up top, etc.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:10 PM   #77
JST

Yes makes sense.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:41 PM   #78
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yes makes sense.
IIRC, the 987.2's are about the most reliable Boxsters ever, so that helps (if I am right).
Old 09-30-2020, 08:54 AM   #79
FC
Solving problems

I need therapy. I can't shake the idea of wanting to order a custom GTS 4.0 for Euro Delivery. I almost certainly won't, it's a dumb idea, my wife will almost certainly never approve of it, but I find myself like I was 20 years ago spending way too much time on the configurator.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:59 AM   #80
dan
redefined

First, Do it.

I just went to the configurator and it's weird they don't offer a royal blue-ish color. But you should get Python anyway