Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 12-27-2021, 08:40 PM   #2051
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
The X5 looks great.

I’m laughing because I also hate MBUX with a passion. And I’ve often thought about selling my car for this sole reason.

How does the engine do in the X5 compared to the turbo six in the E450?
Thanks everyone.

I was a gen behind you with COMMAND, so I didn't even have a touch screen.
The B58 is better than the V6 I had in the Merc, but the extra weight of the x5 is noticable. If you don't need an SUV, I'd recommend checking out a 540i. Based on my couple hours of experience, I'd say it's way better.

It was interesting going over the car with the "genius". He kept pointing out decontented features on cars this year. No touch screen, no auto start stop button, no cooling cup holders, no passenger massage seats, etc. Seems like 2021 cars aren't what you want.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 08:53 PM   #2052
Alan
Carmudgeon

Beautiful X5, very happy for you !
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 09:14 PM   #2053
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
+1

I’ve had pretty much all of the recent versions of iDrive and I think BMW nailed it with ID7. Everything works really well, it’s fast and fairly intuitive + voice commands that are actually easy to use (recognizes plain language, you don’t have to follow an exact prompt) and touch screen capabilities are icing on the cake. The X5 also has a large screen which is another bonus.

Josh, really nice spec on that car - congrats!

Yes, ID Touch-screen is nice. I have it with ID5, but I never use it as it is a finger print magnet. You should see the new ID screen in the LCI X3, it is huge… I think it it is 12” now and it almost looks out of place..

Josh, this is the second time in a week that I have heard that auto/start stop button is MIA, but my father’s September 2021 build X3 has it and the touch-screen.

Last edited by SCA; 12-27-2021 at 09:29 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 11:12 AM   #2054
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Yes, ID Touch-screen is nice. I have it with ID5, but I never use it as it is a finger print magnet. You should see the new ID screen in the LCI X3, it is huge… I think it it is 12” now and it almost looks out of place..

Josh, this is the second time in a week that I have heard that auto/start stop button is MIA, but my father’s September 2021 build X3 has it and the touch-screen.
I don’t think the auto start stop button is decontenting, bmw stopped including it on cars with the mild hybrid engine such as the M340 and 540i for 2021 … so the only way to turn off that feature is to put it into sport mode. We got lucky with our 2021’s, only one thing was missing which was the lumbar support on the passengers seat in the X3.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:13 PM   #2055
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
+1

I’ve had pretty much all of the recent versions of iDrive and I think BMW nailed it with ID7. Everything works really well, it’s fast and fairly intuitive + voice commands that are actually easy to use (recognizes plain language, you don’t have to follow an exact prompt) and touch screen capabilities are icing on the cake. The X5 also has a large screen which is another bonus.

Josh, really nice spec on that car - congrats!
Now I'm going slightly nuts trying to figure out if I ended up with ID7 or ID6 when I upgraded my head unit. I think 7? Anyway, agree that it works pretty well, though my big annoyance is that there is no obvious way to single-button-mute a call; pressing the controller hangs up the phone, which I have done more than once.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 12:18 PM   #2056
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Now I'm going slightly nuts trying to figure out if I ended up with ID7 or ID6 when I upgraded my head unit. I think 7? Anyway, agree that it works pretty well, though my big annoyance is that there is no obvious way to single-button-mute a call; pressing the controller hangs up the phone, which I have done more than once.
Take a picture of the screen and we can tell you which version it is.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:12 PM   #2057
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Doesn't Carplay only have like four big buttons "end," "mute," "number pad," and "add call"?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 01:44 PM   #2058
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Doesn't Carplay only have like four big buttons "end," "mute," "number pad," and "add call"?
Yes, but...despite having done this upgrade partly to achieve Carplay compatibility, I find that I don't use Carplay much if at all. I prefer the native map support, actually, and the media support on the BMW side is just as good if not better.

And after poking around, I have ID6, which is...also fine.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 01:53 PM   #2059
SCA
Jaded

FYI, ID5 to ID6 basically just changed the tiles on the main screen and really nothing else. I can change to ID6 via BimmerCode if I wanted to, but would lose the F15 X5 displaying on the screen.

I have AppleCar Play a $300 option in 2017, but last indefinitely, aka not subscription-based. I also prefer the native map support.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 02:41 PM   #2060
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Yes, but...despite having done this upgrade partly to achieve Carplay compatibility, I find that I don't use Carplay much if at all. I prefer the native map support, actually, and the media support on the BMW side is just as good if not better.
That sounds like high praise, but now that I think about it, I don't think I've given any car's native nav system a chance since the 2013 era Focus ST's MS based MyFord Touch. I suppose they've come a ways?

Perhaps i should try the 2020 Camaro's. The infotainment system was substantially upgraded for 2019. The audio stuff in the 2017 was not bad.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote