carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-13-2023, 09:09 AM   #1561
JST

I am pretty sure my car (early Model 3P, August 2018 build) doesn’t have even AP 1. It might have the hardware for it, but I don’t believe it has radar cruise. It just has “set it at X speed and it will maintain it” cruise.

Not sure about emergency braking. fairly confident it didn’t when I bought it but who knows what they’ve added OTA.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 08:41 AM   #1562
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I am pretty sure my car (early Model 3P, August 2018 build) doesn’t have even AP 1. It might have the hardware for it, but I don’t believe it has radar cruise. It just has “set it at X speed and it will maintain it” cruise.

Not sure about emergency braking. fairly confident it didn’t when I bought it but who knows what they’ve added OTA.
Your car has AP 2.5 hardware - that is what the early 3s came with, and all cars have the hardware. AP 3.0 hardware was added sometime in 2019 — my mom’s 3 has it, which was delivered in Dec ‘19

I remember you not opting for any form of Autopilot when you purchased. What I can’t remember is when Tesla started including the basic features in cars that didn’t have it optioned. I think they may have done that when they dropped Enhanced autopilot circa 2019…

If you check the upgrades section of the app, I’m curious what AP options you could add now? I can add FSD… wondering if you can add Enhanced or just “Autopilot” also? (Not that it makes sense to add any of these on a 4.5 year old car)…

You may have some of the safety features avail — the Safety menu in the car will show what is avail…
Old 01-15-2023, 08:54 AM   #1563
JST

According to the app I could add Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, and “Full Self Driving.”

Autopilot is 3K (LOL), Enhanced Autopilot is 6K (LMAO), and FSD is 15K (ROFLMAO).

The last two require purchase of the first one, so they’re really 9,000 and 18,000, respectively.

Really actually quite glad I don’t have to worry about phantom braking. I’ve never missed autopilot (or even used the standard cruise control), and would never endanger my family by used Enhanced Autopilot or FSD. So, I think I actually made out ok here.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:52 PM   #1564
robg
Carmudgeon

Wow. Those prices put even Porsche and bmw to shame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 02:19 PM   #1565
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
See… I always used cruise control all the time on earlier cars. If you don’t use those, AP isn’t for you…
Old 02-27-2023, 07:31 PM   #1566
robg
Carmudgeon

Was at a local mall this weekend where there's a Tesla showroom. It's been a long time since I've checked one out and was kinda curious to see if the build quality had improved, etc. Anyway, I ended up test driving a RWD Model 3. I have to admit, it was pretty impressive: great acceleration, fun and nimble feel, good storage in the center console, rode reasonably well over poor road surfaces, good stereo and pretty comfortable seats. Overuse of screen based controls continue to be annoying of course...but I do have to give them credit for putting a power adjustable steering column in a car at this price point (usually you dont see that until you get into 5 series territory).

Kinda tempting in light of the tax credits...with federal and local credits I could buy one for around 33k. Seems like a lot of car for that amount.

BUT as we've spoken about here, I dont think I can bear the thought of supporting Elon Musk in any way.

Also stopped by the JLR dealer at the request of my wife since it was close by. They had an ex demo I-pace that they've now made a CPO. Great spec and my wife loves this car. But they're asking some stupid amount for it (like 5k over MSRP)!!
Old 02-27-2023, 07:53 PM   #1567
JST

For 33K there’s nothing that can touch the Model 3, gas or electric. That’s a smoking price for what you get.

But, yeah. Fuck Elon.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:02 PM   #1568
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
$33k , wow that is cheap. Maybe I should go buy one to replace the GTI
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 10:37 PM   #1569
Alan
Carmudgeon

I still remember test driving the Tesla 3 awd dual motor and left thinking I need to get one of these !! That car was just too cool !!
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 11:00 PM   #1570
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
For 33K there’s nothing that can touch the Model 3, gas or electric. That’s a smoking price for what you get.

But, yeah. Fuck Elon.

Yep..I was thinking about what else you can get at that price. It’d be stuff like: jetta GLI, civic Si, base GTI, base integra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk