carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 11-05-2019, 12:44 PM   #21
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
I have no basis for comparison on the cameras. All I can say is that pulling into my garage, they provide a lot less help than you’d expect, and things look very weird through them (see the picture). And then they turned off for no reason that I could discern.
I think maybe you would need to get used to it. When I pull in my garage being it is a more traditional garage it works really well. I find it pretty cool how it switches the views depending on what it detects and all the changing of the sounds and showing you the objects in different colors is cool too.

My biggest complaint with my car is at almost a year old I still can't figure out how to shut it off in my garage and leave it unlocked ... I am not joking when I tell you it is not unusual for my wife to go into the garage hours after I come home and she will see my car on usually with the lights and radio on (not the engine running just in the on position).

And this is after I know the car shut down when I left it ... it is just weird but I gave up on this 8 months ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post

Edit: Audi charging for access to a service that they are providing (even if it’s a pipeline to Google) is at least justifiable.
You make a good point, I have a feeling BMW is going to have to do away with the charge eventually unless all the other brands jump on the band wagon.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:01 PM   #22
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
You make a good point, I have a feeling BMW is going to have to do away with the charge eventually unless all the other brands jump on the band wagon.
Fortunately, CarPlay was for life when I bought my 2. I use it all the time, and really like it, but I'd be hard pressed to pay a giant fee or ongoing subscription for it.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #23
JST

I've never had a CarPlay implementation that worked reliably and consistently. The VW's would stop working for weeks at a time (only on particular phones, though), and then would inexplicably come back. The one in my parents' Mustang works a little more reliably, but still not 100 percent of the time.

When it does work, it's...fine, I guess, but the integration isn't necessarily better than whatever the car is running natively (especially in Audis without touch screens). Not sure how it would work in a BMW with no touch screen; mine doesn't have it.

There is no chance in hell that I'd pay for it.

Re: FC's point, I'd be very interested in Nick's take on the F80. It's...also fine? I mean, I like it, and there are some things about it I like a lot. But it's not a particularly engaging car to drive, and it also has very little steering feel. It's fast but it definitely has some lag, and the power comes on in a whack that reminds you it is turbocharged. I don't think there's a better performance sedan around right now, but honest to god I'm not sure it's a better overall car than the E46 330i ZHP.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:47 PM   #24
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post

My biggest complaint with my car is at almost a year old I still can't figure out how to shut it off in my garage and leave it unlocked ... I am not joking when I tell you it is not unusual for my wife to go into the garage hours after I come home and she will see my car on usually with the lights and radio on (not the engine running just in the on position).
I had this problem with both the 5er and the x3 I had as loaners. Nothing would fully shut them off (and I have comfort access on my 1er and x5 so I am used to it).
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #25
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I had this problem with both the 5er and the x3 I had as loaners. Nothing would fully shut them off (and I have comfort access on my 1er and x5 so I am used to it).
Yeah, mine does that, too. I feel like there must be a setting somewhere, but since I have to leave my car outside I lock it all the time, anyway.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #26
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
That doesn't describe the CVT in my Accord. I think that it's executed pretty well (i.e. doesn't do the fake shifting, and responds well to my inputs), to the point where I prefer the experience over a regular automatic. Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack.
I’ll admit that I haven’t driven a CVT honda. CVT Nissans are just about the worst drivetrain experience in the world.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #27
robg
Carmudgeon

Wow- that's the first negative review I've read of the B58 though it sounds like your issues are more with the transmission programming.

I agree that Audis implementation is smoother. My old F10 was super annoying in that it would always noticeable downshift to 1st as you were coming to a stop. in low speed traffic, that meant you constantly felt it going from 1-2-1-2. My x3 is much better in that regard, but there are certain conditions where you can "surprise" the transmission and you get a noticeable thunk when it downshifts. I remember that happening on 80s/90s automatics but never in a modern one. What's funny is that the old ZF 6 speed in my e92 was flawless in every way -- never once misbehaved or shifted strangely.

Was this a loaner car that you tried?
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:03 PM   #28
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I've never had a CarPlay implementation that worked reliably and consistently. The VW's would stop working for weeks at a time (only on particular phones, though), and then would inexplicably come back. The one in my parents' Mustang works a little more reliably, but still not 100 percent of the time.

When it does work, it's...fine, I guess, but the integration isn't necessarily better than whatever the car is running natively (especially in Audis without touch screens). Not sure how it would work in a BMW with no touch screen; mine doesn't have it.

There is no chance in hell that I'd pay for it.

Re: FC's point, I'd be very interested in Nick's take on the F80. It's...also fine? I mean, I like it, and there are some things about it I like a lot. But it's not a particularly engaging car to drive, and it also has very little steering feel. It's fast but it definitely has some lag, and the power comes on in a whack that reminds you it is turbocharged. I don't think there's a better performance sedan around right now, but honest to god I'm not sure it's a better overall car than the E46 330i ZHP.
I've had the best luck with CarPlay on GM cars and the worst on Audis. The Audi implementation (atleast with the now last-gen system) was very unreliable and using it w /the control wheel was very tedious.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:07 PM   #29
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I've had the best luck with CarPlay on GM cars and the worst on Audis. The Audi implementation (atleast with the now last-gen system) was very unreliable and using it w /the control wheel was very tedious.
My approach to CarPlay is that I still use my damned phone, but it’s nice to have the big/optimized display.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Old 11-05-2019, 02:11 PM   #30
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Wow- that's the first negative review I've read of the B58 though it sounds like your issues are more with the transmission programming.

I agree that Audis implementation is smoother. My old F10 was super annoying in that it would always noticeable downshift to 1st as you were coming to a stop. in low speed traffic, that meant you constantly felt it going from 1-2-1-2. My x3 is much better in that regard, but there are certain conditions where you can "surprise" the transmission and you get a noticeable thunk when it downshifts. I remember that happening on 80s/90s automatics but never in a modern one. What's funny is that the old ZF 6 speed in my e92 was flawless in every way -- never once misbehaved or shifted strangely.

Was this a loaner car that you tried?
Yes, it’s a loaner. Playing around with it in manual mode, it’s definitely got throttle tip in lag. But the big issue is really the transmission.

That, and it just doesn’t have enough torque at low revs. The 540i is not a car that revving out the engine is satisfying in. And the noises that are allowed to penetrate the cabin suck, which make that even more annoying. The car would be a lot more satisfying with a big lazy V8. And also better steering, a stiffer gas pedal, and less grabby brakes.

Edit: It’s been a long time, but my Mom’s old N54 335i auto had no drivability issues that I can recall other than the lack of a limited slip diff.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo