carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-26-2017, 11:16 AM   #161
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The AWD 911s just don't do much for me. Are you really going to drive it in the winter?
but you get the hips

and this looks pretty fun

edit: that is a nicely spec car and seems like a good price
Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:13 PM   #162
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
The AWD 911s just don't do much for me. Are you really going to drive it in the winter?
Regarding AWD, I'm not going to drive it in the winter but I'm sort indifferent about it - do they drive that much different than the RWD ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
but you get the hips

edit: that is a nicely spec car and seems like a good price
Yeah it's not bad. I don't care for the alcantara and would vastly prefer the adaptive seats, but that's fixable I suppose.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #163
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
but you get the hips
RWD GTS models get the hips too.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:01 PM   #164
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
Regarding AWD, I'm not going to drive it in the winter but I'm sort indifferent about it - do they drive that much different than the RWD ones?

Yeah it's not bad. I don't care for the alcantara and would vastly prefer the adaptive seats, but that's fixable I suppose.
I'm actually not sure I've ever driven an AWD 911, come to think of it. I just view all the hardware as being heavy and unnecessary.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #165
zach
swinging for the fences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
RWD GTS models get the hips too.
A RWD 997 GTS is exactly what I want but I won't do black or white exterior, which is what it appears 80%+ of them have. They are also very expensive.

Quote:
I'm actually not sure I've ever driven an AWD 911, come to think of it. I just view all the hardware as being heavy and unnecessary.
Yeah, I'm just trying to keep an open mind. I doubt I'd really notice the difference between the awd and rwd in a 911 given the overall experience.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #166
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
default torque split is 5/95 on the 996 turbo(I think the 997 is the same). 996 awd hw is ~110 pounds but does add weight to the front which is beneficial.

With that said I would prefer rwd but not sure on a turbo though, #assbackwardswithturbotorque

Last edited by Jeff_DML; 04-26-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:46 PM   #167
zach
swinging for the fences

After driving FC's turbo, I would not want to try one without AWD. Terrifyingly fast.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:07 PM   #168
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Seems like the new non-s carrera is enough.
Jeff from what I read I completely agree ...

Though in reality after having 2 911's in a row over the past 6 1/2 yrs I don't think I could go with a 3rd one ... I like change.

Hello Corvette or M4
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:07 AM   #169
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
My first c4 drive was back in 2004 with little rwd experience under my belt, when I was moving from b5 2.8 a4 to a porsche. Started with the boxster S idea, but then moved on to a carrera. I drove the 2001 c2 and c4 back to back and it was noticeable to me as well. A little less lively, a touch heavier steering, just a bit less fun. I bought 996 c2. Over the years, I never shopped for a c4 again. I did get two awesome drives though, one on the outgoing year of the 997 and the year after, for the introduction of the 991. Both drives were at Monticello and we drove all variants. coupe, cab, c2, c4. For us the c2 and the c2s coupe always came out on top, noticeably.

Then I owned the 997.2 over a fall and winter. Plenty of chance to drive in cold rainy weather. Also one time, I sneaked out and played in slush before the salters came out. Great fun, great grip. I still don't see the point. re050's are not great soft summer tires, more all-season-y, but still rated a summer tire. Had no trouble cutting through a few inches of slush and having gentle drifts, if anything, like the audis, the 911 is more fun in bad weather. The boxster/cayman would have been struggling to put power down.

I honestly don't see the point on an normally aspirated sub-400hp 911. But those are all that I have driven.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #170
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
My first c4 drive was back in 2004 with little rwd experience under my belt, when I was moving from b5 2.8 a4 to a porsche. Started with the boxster S idea, but then moved on to a carrera. I drove the 2001 c2 and c4 back to back and it was noticeable to me as well. A little less lively, a touch heavier steering, just a bit less fun. I bought 996 c2. Over the years, I never shopped for a c4 again. I did get two awesome drives though, one on the outgoing year of the 997 and the year after, for the introduction of the 991. Both drives were at Monticello and we drove all variants. coupe, cab, c2, c4. For us the c2 and the c2s coupe always came out on top, noticeably.

Then I owned the 997.2 over a fall and winter. Plenty of chance to drive in cold rainy weather. Also one time, I sneaked out and played in slush before the salters came out. Great fun, great grip. I still don't see the point. re050's are not great soft summer tires, more all-season-y, but still rated a summer tire. Had no trouble cutting through a few inches of slush and having gentle drifts, if anything, like the audis, the 911 is more fun in bad weather. The boxster/cayman would have been struggling to put power down.

I honestly don't see the point on an normally aspirated sub-400hp 911. But those are all that I have driven.
nice summary but man you have had a lot of cars

yeah engine sitting over the driven wheels should help with traction, inverted fwd car