carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Questions on lease paperwork.

The CA (by now I am certain he is a moron), just got around to overnighting my paperwork re: lease. And yes, my flight is a week from today.

Anyhow, a couple of things bug me and I have an email + vm to him re: them.

1) On the BMW lease agreement form there is a $300 fee for title, license, registration. Sooooo, is he (from Baltimore) going to register my car in MA? Doubt it. He should be taking this off, right? Also, on the dealership's own form, there is a $225 title fee and a separate $57.81 tax that I am clueless about (and the tax one one months payment is only $23.66). Anyway, these two amounts don't add up to $300, so the totals are different.

2) He sent a pre-filled MD title application. WTF? BMWFS is (I guess) based in OH from the application. I will be registering it in MA, so why is a title being sought in MD?

Anyway, thanks. It's my first lease.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
RMR
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
The CA (by now I am certain he is a moron), just got around to overnighting my paperwork re: lease. And yes, my flight is a week from today.

1) On the BMW lease agreement form there is a $300 fee for title, license, registration. Sooooo, is he (from Baltimore) going to register my car in MA? Doubt it. He should be taking this off, right? Also, on the dealership's own form, there is a $225 title fee and a separate $57.81 tax that I am clueless about (and the tax one one months payment is only $23.66). Anyway, these two amounts don't add up to $300, so the totals are different.

2) He sent a pre-filled MD title application. WTF? BMWFS is (I guess) based in OH from the application. I will be registering it in MA, so why is a title being sought in MD?

Possibly get your CA and someone competent from BMWFS on a conference call together with you. A friend of mine leased a BMW from a Chicago dealer while living and having to register it in NYC. It was a nightmare because the differences in lease taxes and rules from state to state and even county to county. The Dealer here in IL only knew the rules and regs of IL. BMWFS should know something more. (Hopefully).

RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Possibly get your CA and someone competent from BMWFS on a conference call together with you. A friend of mine leased a BMW from a Chicago dealer while living and having to register it in NYC. It was a nightmare because the differences in lease taxes and rules from state to state and even county to county. The Dealer here in IL only knew the rules and regs of IL. BMWFS should know something more. (Hopefully).
I was very specific about the lease working out while being from MA and he mentioned he had sold several M cars to guys from Boston.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #4
JST

When I bought the car in Michigan, I filled out a Mich application for title, but the dealer used an interstate title service (based, ironically, in Boston) to title the car in VA. Got my plates faster than I usually do buying cars in MD or VA. I also only paid VA sales tax.

I understand that leases are different and much more complex--and the state laws of both the selling and registering jurisdiction may play into it, too.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:

Ok, here are some thoughts...

a) They have to register the car to be in compliance with BMWFS, they are not supposed to let the customer do it if there is a lease or loan. But it doesn't mean they are physically doing it, they likely use an out of state registration service that does it for them.

b) You should be getting a MA title since the car is registered in MA. Also, make sure the vehicle Mass RMV-1 form says "Financial Services Vehicle Trust" as the owner and not "BMW Financial Services NA LLC" once they finally get it to you (might as well let them know upfront) or else they'll have to redo it.

c) If you reverse the tax (divide by 0.0625), it indicates that it is tax on $925.... which I would guess is what they charged you for the acquisition fee? This fee is taxable in MA, so this is legit.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Ok, here are some thoughts...

a) They have to register the car to be in compliance with BMWFS, they are not supposed to let the customer do it if there is a lease or loan. But it doesn't mean they are physically doing it, they likely use an out of state registration service that does it for them.

b) You should be getting a MA title since the car is registered in MA. Also, make sure the vehicle Mass RMV-1 form says "Financial Services Vehicle Trust" as the owner and not "BMW Financial Services NA LLC" once they finally get it to you (might as well let them know upfront) or else they'll have to redo it.

c) If you reverse the tax (divide by 0.0625), it indicates that it is tax on $925.... which I would guess is what they charged you for the acquisition fee? This fee is taxable in MA, so this is legit.
Cool. Thanks. He left a vm where he indicated (in simpler terms) pretty much everything you guys said, so it is all legit. Sorry, it's a very hectic time for me right now. He will be getting me a MA registration, which is nice, since it was a PITA to do it myself in MA last time. And the fee was $925.

So at least he got the closing documents right. The envelope it off.

He did manage to completely forget about me and begin the ED PO process 10 days after the "no later than 30 days" period and assured me I "had nothing to worry about since the payemtns were all taken care of." This is after a number of reminder emails bordering on harrassment.

Whatever, as long as I get my car a week from tomorrow, I'm happy.

A co-worker who is from Munich but travels back and forth offered to pick me up from the airport and take me to the delivery center, so I'm all set. He also gave me good recommendations for the Bavarian Alps region. Pretty happy about that. And yes, his name is Fritz. He's a BMW motorcycle guy and old enough to be my dad, so he has been on every road I plan on driving on. Really wants to see the inside of the new delivery center.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Cool. Thanks. He left a vm where he indicated (in simpler terms) pretty much everything you guys said, so it is all legit. he will be getting me a MA registration, which is nice, since it was a PITA to do it myself in MA last time.

So at least he got the closing documents right. The envelope it off.

He did manage to completely forget about me and begin the ED PO process 10 days after the "no later than 30 days" period and assured me I "had nothing to worry about since the payemtns were all taken care of." This is after a number of reminder emails bordering on harrassment.

Whatever, as long as I get my car a week from tomorrow, I'm happy.

A co-worker who is from Munich but travels back and forth offered to pick me up from the airport and take me to the delivery center, so I'm all set. He also gave me good recommendations for the Bavarian Alps region. Pretty happy about that. And yes, his name is Fritz. He's a BMW motorcycle guy and old enough to be my dad, so he has been on every road I plan on driving on. Really wants to see the inside of the new delivery center.
Make sure you are signing a MA form RMV-1 and not that MD form for your registration and title... the MA RMV will not process your paperwork with the MD form. Not an immediately pressing issue, but better to get it handled now than to have a hold up later.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Make sure you are signing a MA form RMV-1 and not that MD form for your registration and title... the MA RMV will not process your paperwork with the MD form. Not an immediately pressing issue, but better to get it handled now than to have a hold up later.
Agreed. I will go get the form from my Insurance and send it to him before the weekend.

EDIT: Called insurance. RMV-1 is only good for 30 days, so I will have to wait AT LEAST until I get back from the trip, or risk registering the car much too soon. Which on second thought, just means I pay insurance on a car I do not yet have, but I rather not do something so weird.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Agreed. I will go get the form from my Insurance and send it to him before the weekend.

EDIT: Called insurance. RMV-1 is only good for 30 days, so I will have to wait AT LEAST until I get back from the trip, or risk registering the car much too soon. Which on second thought, just means I pay insurance on a car I do not yet have, but I rather not do something so weird.
ED comes with insurance that is valid in Europe (30 days standard, more optional). There is also insurance while it is being shipped -- so you don't need to have insurance for it in the US until you take delivery.

When I did ED, the only thing that bugged me was that they registered the car as of the contract date, not closer to US delivery. I ended up moving out of state before it renewed, so it ended up not being a big deal. But I was kind of annoyed having to pay for nearly 3 months of registration fees that I didn't use (especially since AZ registration includes a personal property tax)...
Old 06-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
FC
Solving problems

I know about ED insurance. I did it 8 years ago. And they have actually changed it to only 14 days now.