carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #41
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Well, the news today of the M3 loosing its CF shaft really bothers me.
Why?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #42
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Why?
Because they made such a big deal out of it when it was released. Actual improvements aside, they should at the very least lower the price commensurately - especially when they just raised the price on the car.

The car will take a hit on responsiveness and acceleration. How much and if it will noticeable remains to be known, but it's physics.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:20 PM   #43
John V
No more BMWs

You will never notice the change.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:47 PM   #44
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Rotational inertia should be very small for a driveshaft. Especially the difference between a steel/alloy one vs. carbon, given that there is engine inertia, gears, flywheel, diff, axles, wheels and tires attached. Most of those with a higher radius than the shaft. IIRC, it goes like MR^2, so I'm not even sure why they bothered in the first place.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:41 AM   #45
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Rotational inertia should be very small for a driveshaft. Especially the difference between a steel/alloy one vs. carbon, given that there is engine inertia, gears, flywheel, diff, axles, wheels and tires attached. Most of those with a higher radius than the shaft. IIRC, it goes like MR^2, so I'm not even sure why they bothered in the first place.
Every bit helps. Also, the wheels and tires are past the rear differential so their moment of inertia reflected to the engine would lower by that gear ratio. Still far more than the shaft, of course.

Like I said, I am not arguing that it will make much of a difference, just how they are handling it on the customer side. There are actually some benefits in going to steel. But the replacement cost of the CF shaft is something like $2500 vs. a few hundred for the one in steel. To do a swap without adjusting the cost is kinda crappy, again, considering what a big stinking deal they made of it at launch.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:53 AM   #46
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Because fanbois.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:13 AM   #47
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Mkting for Fanbois for sure (what isn't and of course I'm one too). With morning freshness another physical property comes to mind. Perhaps the steel loads up/stores some undesirable twist while carbon's stress-strain tensor can be 3d designed to avoid whatever you want. Carbon bike frames have some cool properties (though they cannot be repaired).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #48
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
With morning freshness another physical property comes to mind.
Morning wood?
Old 08-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #49
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Mkting for Fanbois for sure (what isn't and of course I'm one too). With morning freshness another physical property comes to mind. Perhaps the steel loads up/stores some undesirable twist while carbon's stress-strain tensor can be 3d designed to avoid whatever you want. Carbon bike frames have some cool properties (though they cannot be repaired).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Given the other areas for slop in the system, I highly doubt this is the motivation.

My guess is the carbon driveshaft was implemented not for rotational inertia but to reduce total vehicle weight. Given the cost and the small amount of weight saved it's no wonder they're getting rid of it.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #50
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
it's hard to describe how wickedly fast (and reasonably soul-less) the current gen M3/M4 is.

the RS3 would just be a nose heavy overboosted pig, in comparison.

*just my opinion.

obviously the RS3 is a huge upgrade over the S3. but the S3 felt chintzy to me.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote