carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #1
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Michael Harley's Review of the 718 Cayman S

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#1731b8de57c5

"Spend 30 minutes behind the wheel of the 718 and it becomes obvious that the new 2.5-liter turbocharged flat-4 engine has completely changed the character of the Cayman S. Of course, it’s not as smooth or as eager at stratospheric revolutions as its predecessors, but it is a much improved powerplant in every other measurable category — more torque, better power curves, more fuel efficient, and fewer emissions.

Purists may sensibly lament the loss of the iconic flat-6, which is understandable, but seat time in the new 718 Cayman S exposes today’s truth — this is an instance when four (cylinders) is greater than six."
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
My mind is aware that this logic is so true but I am so hard headed sound and reaction wise. This is why I want the E9x M3. That V8. Again the F30 kills it in every aspect. To me it doesn't matter. I still want the V8.

Same kind of logic applies here. Not that I don't think your car kicks some serious ass. It totally does and I am very jelly. Just a preference.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:17 PM   #3
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Oh, I totally get it. But I think it's more of a turbo versus non-turbo thing at its heart.

We have three turbos now, in 4, 6, and 8 cylinders. And they are all amazing in their own ways. But the rev to power of the NA engines are hard to beat from an emotional standpoint. Not really sure why that is. But I do believe that feeling only happens with a manual transmission.

The new autos and PDKs are well suited to the turbo engines. They definitely represent progress, but toward a heartless, driverless car future...

Given the density of ATL traffic at six-lane highway speeds (routinely 80-plus miles an hour), I'm very glad to have two hands on the wheel and a fast auto-shifting transmission. Drivers here are merciless, stupid, and dangerous. They are on your bumper, on their phone, and traveling 30 miles above the posted speed limit--in their Escalades or whatever 5,000-lb vehicle.

I am miles away from a spirited country drive where I could enjoy a vehicle that takes its time getting speed, no matter how many cylinders.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:04 AM   #4
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
The 3.4 flat-6 is plenty fast enough for me. No way would I ever give up that sound for a four. I could see that shopping used is not for everyone and pickings get slim.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:29 AM   #5
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
The 3.4 flat-6 is plenty fast enough for me. No way would I ever give up that sound for a four. I could see that shopping used is not for everyone and pickings get slim.
I agree. Would I like a little more shove at lower RPM? I suppose. Is it worth losing the 3.4L's music? I don't think so.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:41 AM   #6
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I agree. Would I like a little more shove at lower RPM? I suppose. Is it worth losing the 3.4L's music? I don't think so.
i agree.

but am very open to seeing for myself what the 2.5T does for the chassis, too.

probably keep the 987.x but would be kind of open to assessing 981.2/991.2 realistically

lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Agreed. For a fun sports car, I would want an NA every time. There is a reason Porsche, who has always been at the leading edge of turbo technology still has the GT's with an NA.

On a sedan that must be able to move people, deal with stop lights, merging, etc., I don't mind the idea of a turbo and the low end torque it brings.

If I bought an M3 as my fun car, I would want the V8. If I bought a boxster as my year-round car, I might not be so against the turbo.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #8
Alan
Carmudgeon

I like turbos ... I like the rush they give when they kick in ... I haven't driven the new Porsche turbo engines but from what I read on the forums the turbos in the 991 seem to kick ass and they take care of my biggest complaint with my 3.8 which is low end torque. I would definitely be open to driving the 4's in the booster/cayman.

Also while I love the sound of the sport exhaust on the 3.8 I can't say I always love the sound of the engine .... sometimes it gets annoying. Now the R8's 8 cylinder is a totally different story ... it always sounds good to my ears.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:31 AM   #9
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I like turbos ... I like the rush they give when they kick in ... I haven't driven the new Porsche turbo engines but from what I read on the forums the turbos in the 991 seem to kick ass and they take care of my biggest complaint with my 3.8 which is low end torque. I would definitely be open to driving the 4's in the booster/cayman.

Also while I love the sound of the sport exhaust on the 3.8 I can't say I always love the sound of the engine .... sometimes it gets annoying. Now the R8's 8 cylinder is a totally different story ... it always sounds good to my ears.
Different engine, but I OTOH, never liked the 997TT sounds as much as the 3.4L from my 987S. The TT sounded awesome at start-up and low rpms, but past 5krpm, the NA engine was sweet. Not the TT. Acceleration was outrageous, but the sound was merely ok. The 987S was spine tingling at redline.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #10
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
My mind is aware that this logic is so true but I am so hard headed sound and reaction wise. This is why I want the E9x M3. That V8. Again the F30 kills it in every aspect. To me it doesn't matter. I still want the V8.

Same kind of logic applies here. Not that I don't think your car kicks some serious ass. It totally does and I am very jelly. Just a preference.
A nice compromise would be a turbo v8.

Or an exhaust system on the straight six that sounds nasty like the Jaguar F type or Alfa manage to do.

lemming is online now   Reply With Quote