carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2018, 09:26 AM   #11
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
You've had the car three days, right?

My guess is that the "annoying level of planning each night" will drop off pretty quickly. Get a couple extended drives under your belt and you'll find the solutions. Solutions for the daily stuff will become clear soon. Anxiety will ease and annoyance will lessen. Significantly.

Seems more like you're going through an adjustment phase rather than having a problem.

You know I'm not a Tesla fanboi, apologist, or anything of the sort, so...
Clyde is correct.

My recommendation is to charge to 90% and plug in every night. Let the car manage the battery. That should give you ~275 rated miles, and you should get close to rated range in commuting. Easily 250 actual miles. You may find that you don’t need to charge every night.

For road trips at highway speed, you will get less actual miles. It’s just physics. But you should be able to do that 180mile round trip and drive normally. You could always plug in for a few hours at your parents house — sure it’s slow, but an extra 10-12 miles might be all you need to erase your range anxiety.

Play around with one of the trip planning tools (I use evtripplanner.com), or use the car Nav to run some scenarios — it’s gotten very good in the last updates.